Gaming Unreleased/dumped GBA game auctioned for 302.54

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
if you look on the ebay page, you see he posted link to some other 3d games for the ds both unreleased!

this video is the one that amazes me though

When the camera is panning around the screen and the angle changes, i didn't believe the gba could do that i wonder if they also used extra hardware in the cart?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well a rare few made it out there that are in full 3D and done goddamn well. Stuff comes to mind like Asterix in the UK (plays like Croc on PS1/Saturn) and various goodies using the V3D engine like V-Rally and Stuntman which come off looking (in part due to small screen but also due to how it does the 3D) like a Saturn title (seriously, right down to the warping of the polygons up close.)

One that really stood out used that Blue Roses engine and only it and I think Smashing Drive on GBA used it, and that's Wing Commander Prophecy. The game has all the stages of the standard WCP, without a stick it moves more like old Wing Commander 1 and 2 do, so slightly less fluid, but the engine itself is smooth. It is a full 3D engine, all the craft inside and out, explosions even, and multiple entities on screen are fully polygonal and highly detailed too.

I could only find one clip on YouTube and it has some aggravating guitar riff played over it so you can't hear all the ported over sfx and in game music, and even the vocal comm chatter(all other chat and cut movies are reduced to stills and text boxes...but hell it's GBA man.)

Take a peek here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAGXTuv2-A

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game looks put together really well. Reminds me a lot of Duke Nukem. I wonder why it was never released.

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever played DOOM for the GBA? Graphics are similar to what Ryan90 posted. I'm pretty sure 3D GBA games don't render the polygons directly, they render sprites in different positions on a 3D field.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The old DOOM game used raycasting and other little tricks. Essentially they wireframed out a map and then just laid down flat textures on everything, which is why the farther away the more pixelated stuff got as they weren't actual polygons as they work in an entirely different way. Since on GBA or any other version of the old classic aren't using 'true 3D' it's why GBA got away with it so well as that system wasn't meant for polygons until much later when people started doing stuff like V-Rally where they made a custom engine to do it, and even then the effect while nice were basic as it was cheated 3D on a 2D system like the Sega Saturn did. That's why in the V-Rally video I put you can see warbling of the polygons and textures on them which is what Saturn was notorious for which is why cross ported games on it and PSX looked better with sony.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat