Hardware Unopened Brand new Zelda New 3DS XL console boxed advice

haroony2j

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new to this site but I wanted to ask for some advice from some knowledgeable folks from here!

Approximately two years ago I purchased a limited edition Majora's Mask New 3DS XL console.

I have left it boxed in my wardrobe and I have never opened it not even to check the contents.

I planned on keeping this as a boxed unopened collectors item.

However I am quite concerned that I will run into issues in perhaps 5 to 10 years time as there is a battery which is part of the console and if it is left dormant and unused for so many years I do not know what the impact will be when someone turns on the console for the first time in perhaps the year 2028.

Does anybody have any advice regarding this situation? Should I take the unused console out of the box just to charge the battery? Or is it okay to leave the console dormant and unused for a number of years (Are there any potential risks) ?

Thanks,
Haroony2j

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You would probably need to put a disclaimer when you sell that it is unopened and the battery might need to be replaced before use due to non-use after all that time.

Battery lifespan start the moment they are made, not when you open and use a product with that battery.

---

If your not planning to sell it, I recommend you remove the battery so it doesn't eventually leak due to no use and damage the 3ds.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,
Reactions: haroony2j

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

haroony2j

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the procedure to remove the battery for the 3DS XL relatively straight forward?

This leads me to other questions, as I have a number of SNES and GB cartridges which I have collected over the years and some of them have batteries for save games. These carts are just sitting dormant in my wardrobe, should I also remove the batteries from them for fear of leakage?

I am assuming the memory saving on DS carts is flash memory so I don't need to worry about the batteries as I have a number of sealed DS game carts also.

Thanks,
Haroony2j

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You would probably need to put a disclaimer when you sell that it is unopened and the battery might need to be replaced before use due to non-use after all that time.

Battery lifespan start the moment they are made, not when you open and use a product with that battery.

---

If your not planning to sell it, I recommend you remove the battery so it doesn't eventually leak due to no use and damage the 3ds.
I don't think lipos leak over time, but the battery will most likely not accept a charge (and possibly inflate when you attempt to charge it, which could bend/crack the battery lid if you're unlucky) if it's left to self discharge for more than a year or two.
Is the procedure to remove the battery for the 3DS XL relatively straight forward?

This leads me to other questions, as I have a number of SNES and GB cartridges which I have collected over the years and some of them have batteries for save games. These carts are just sitting dormant in my wardrobe, should I also remove the batteries from them for fear of leakage?

I am assuming the memory saving on DS carts is flash memory so I don't need to worry about the batteries as I have a number of sealed DS game carts also.

Thanks,
Haroony2j
Removing the battery is simply a matter of unscrewing the 2 screws holding the back in. However, removing the battery won't prevent the battery from self discharging and eventually dying.
SNES and GB cartridges, I don't think all of them use save batteries, but anyway those batteries last a really long time. Some GBC games who have never had the battery replaced still have a working battery today, although they're starting to fail.
Probably a good idea to replace the battery once every 10-15 years or so and if you don't want to lose your saves you can wire in a temporary battery in parallel while you swap out the battery in the socket.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks,
Haroony2j
3DS battery is accessed with phillips screwdrivers removing the bottom covers.

You'll lose your saves the moment you remove the batteries in your game cartridges. If you have any way to back those saves up, you should do so sooner than later.

In case any of your batteries die in the cartridges, you would have to manually swap out the dead ones with new fresh ones to restore save function. That's easier said than done due to many batteries being soldered to their contact pins.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think lipos leak over time, but the battery will most likely not accept a charge (and possibly inflate when you attempt to charge it, which could bend/crack the battery lid if you're unlucky) if it's left to self discharge for more than a year or two.

Removing the battery is simply a matter of unscrewing the 2 screws holding the back in. However, removing the battery won't prevent the battery from self discharging and eventually dying.
SNES and GB cartridges, I don't think all of them use save batteries, but anyway those batteries last a really long time. Some GBC games who have never had the battery replaced still have a working battery today, although they're starting to fail.
Probably a good idea to replace the battery once every 10-15 years or so and if you don't want to lose your saves you can wire in a temporary battery in parallel while you swap out the battery in the socket.

Actually they do, if the vacuum seal breaks. The battery would bulge and/or balloon at that point.

The Li-poly is still a compound that breaks down into a gas and solid over time, it is more stable than the previous generation of Li compounds used or the crappy ones that come out of china with no product control.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn