Unofficial Rebug 4.46.1 with Cobra!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by codezer0, Jun 18, 2014.

1. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Source: PSX-Scene

Really itching to put this on my 60gig, and maybe the no-BD one on my 20gig. But if someone is willing to give it a try. I know when it first released, it was recommended for those that had a hardware flasher.

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I'll throw it on a test unit and see how it goes... though 4.46 meh... I enjoy rather not having to patch every single 4.46+ game and make an ISO of it.

It'll be interesting to see how stable a REX+Cobra setup is.

3. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I'm looking forward to it so I can start playing my ps2 and ps1 backups on the ps3... and finally retire my chipped PS2.

4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just after I updated to Habib because of the cobra features. Oh well. I hope rebug team doing okay.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Tempted but I'll hold off for now. Cba to open up me console and flash it again xd

6. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Well sadly my older unit was on 4.53 Habib (was playing with COBRA on it) - so had to go through the BS of installing Rogero over it since Habib hates playing with the downgrader PUP's. So had to go 4.53 Habib to 4.55 Rogero -> Recovery Mode- > Rebug Downgrader -> Dehash -> Rogero 3.55 CFW -> This release.

Installed fine, looks like normal 4.46.1 Rebug. MMcM loads fine with COBRA7.

PS3 ISO: WORKING (though anything with a FW requirement > 4.46 will need to be resigned)
    PS2 ISO: WORKING (nice to be wireless without having to use a USB cable from 4.50+ FW)
    PSX ISO: WORKING
    PSP ISO: NOT WORKING (Tested with every launcher - hangs at black screen. Confirmed by dev - attempting to fix)

PSN/SEN: Didn't test as I don't really use it.

Final thoughts: Hold off on this FW for now unless you're desperate to get COBRA going. Probably will be a revision or two to fix the PSP issues and other small things.

DinohScene likes this.
  7. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I'm personally hoping for word of someone trying this with a BC PS3, and ideally being able to stick a PS1/2 CD/DVD into the system and it playing.

If that does indeed work, I'll have some flashin' to do~

8. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    PSX discs work okay. I'll test PS2 later.

I'd wait to see if they release any update. Seeing as this is a sort of frakenstein firmware, be interesting to see if anyone supports it, or will bother fixing the problems with it.

9. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    They need straight go for 4.55 with trophy lock to be the ultimate cfw.
    I'm fine with 4.46.

10. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Sorry... I was still waiting to hear if PS2 disc backups work with this hybridized Rebug CFW.

At this point I'm even tempted to use the no-BD option on my 20gig, if for no other reason than to get it back to working order, and at least be able to run some stuff that way until such time I can get its bluray drive fixed too.

11. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Sorry I've been away. I haven't had any luck with PS2 discs other than originals. ISO's work okay, but I tried a friend's copy and it just error'd out.

I would say use it on your noBD to get you up and working on a COBRA FW, but on a unit that's working normally, I'm personally going back. Don't really need any rebug features at the moment - and PSP is broken (which I'm recently playing)

Until those features are fixed, my suggestion is using Rogero 4.46 COBRA if you need it.

12. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I thought Rogero's was famously buggy and brick-happy? That was certainly the case in the 3.55 days. :unsure:

13. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I've mostly used Rebug, haven't had any issues with Rogero. Habib's is sometime notorious for bricks, but I didn't usee much prior to 3.55.

Rogero 4.46 I was speaking of was a FW created by one of the COBRA dev's who ported their work to Rogero 4.46 CFW thereby giving Rogero 4.46 the COBRA patches. Most of the newer FW with COBRA originated from it's patches. He could of patched 4.5 at the time, but starting in 4.50 - it introduced the PS2 sync bug - so he ported it to 4.46.

I ideally would love to be running a 4.55Cobra FW like Habib - but my biggest issue is I play a lot of PS2 games - and I don't like having to string a 10ft cord across the floor to do it. IT's easier to just patch my ISO's to 4.46 and keep the originals around. I was hoping Rebug would finish up theirs. After 5 months of silence though, they may be done :(

The nice thing about Rogero 4.46 is it's stable, works with everything and ISO loading works across the board with no sync issues.

Hopefully rebug isn't dead and can fix all the issues and come out with an amazing 4.55 FW.

Also if I'm not mistaken, I think the new irisman actually has patches for NTFS/ISO loading - so you could technically still use Rebug 4.46.1 with irisman.

14. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Well I personally just want to be able to load my disc backups that I've built up for the PS1 and PS2 era, as irritatingly I lost far too many of my genuine copies over the years from Sony's awful hardware issues. I know that I could probably ISO load later, but as it is I don't have nearly enough external storage space to accommodate anything resembling a comprehensive archive.

Heck, if it were possible, I could maybe be persuaded to set aside a 1tb for the dreamcast, but that'd mean giving it up for the ps3, and having the same problem you see. Especially since the PS3 won't see anything beyond a 2tb for storage either.

15. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    There is a 4.60 rebug spoof. Rebug let it come!

16. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I don't believe it. I apologize for necro'ing this thread in a manner, but this is kinda huge for me.

Very simply, my CECHB I was unable to basically wake up from recovery in part either in combination due to a broken bluray drive, and a corrupt NAND. It just seemed to never get out of the update loop. Or out of recovery for that matter.

Well, today I finally had some time, and worked up the nerve. Took the hard drive out, formatted it clean so that I could put it back in.
    Got the no-BD Rebug+Cobra PUP file and went into recovery mode with that, and only that.

Ladies and gentle-tempers... it's alive! :hrth:

I'm honestly stunned right now. But that said, I now have some questions.
    • Assuming I can find the parts or whatever I'd need to get the BluRay drive operational again, how would I re-marry the drive back to the board?
    • On that remarkable note, I remember reading this article to figure out what parts I would need to get/replace, but I forgot where it was, and as such my google-fu tends to fail me when I don't know the name of stuff. Can ya help a fellow temper out?
    • I'm half tempted to flash the BD-enabled on my working 60gig, if anyone can confirm that PS1 and PS2 disc backups do indeed work on this modified firmware.

17. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Originals? Yes.
    Burned copies? No.
    COBRA ISO? Yes.

As far as remarrying the drive, there's a article on PS3Hax that was pretty good. However, my mind may be fuzzy, but it requires you to be on 3.55. You may get some luck using a Rogero/Rebug downgrader to get you to 3.55.

I think you can play backups with a swap disc, but meh..