Hacking Unofficial Luma build discussion

xzst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Pretty sure either 172, 173, 192, or 193 (don't remember which one) is hardcoded inside gsp ("graphics server process" sysmodule, responsible for initializing the GPU and LCDs), and removing this cap would require a patch to gsp.

This is not a fault of anyone, but is an intended "feature" by Nintendo itself to prevent LED damage by heat stressing it with a high backlight value.

LCD Tweaker values don't stay on new3DS, only on old3DS, and even then it randomly resets like on new3DS, except less often.

Edit: to answer simply:
Yes, it is possible, but someone needs to make a code.ips (which you can just put into a specific folder name in the luma folder on your SD) which patches this limitation in gsp.
After that, any brightness level editor or config block editor should be enough to change all 7 levels (only 5 are used).

i see.
maybe you have idea of why i got my both screens so dark and how can i fix it ?
when i ordered it from japan on amazon it says it was new and it came with the original package and looked new it even had the original battery inside.
maybe the battery is bad (lasts about 1.5h -2h of gameplay) ?

Lufvave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Forgive me my ignorance, but how do I use this?
Edit figured it out
Edit2: Actually, I still have a question; What is the differnece between putting the TwlBg.cxi file in the TwlBg folder or the Widescreen folder? Or am I confusing this and the Widescreen folder is for something else and to be able to switch between playing NDS with or without widescreen I just have to put all TwlBg.cxi's into the TwlBg folder?
thanks

Last edited by Lufvave,

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me my ignorance, but how do I use this?
Edit figured it out
Edit2: Actually, I still have a question; What is the differnece between putting the TwlBg.cxi file in the TwlBg folder or the Widescreen folder? Or am I confusing this and the Widescreen folder is for something else and to be able to switch between playing NDS with or without widescreen I just have to put all TwlBg.cxi's into the TwlBg folder?
thanks
*.cxi files in the Widescreen folder are for Widescreen that is enabled in TwiLightMenu++. The benefit from widescreen applied by TwiLightMenu++ is that it should enable aspect ratio altering cheat codes on a per game level.

@Nutez Would it be possible to make it so that Luma remembers per-game settings for CPU and L2 cache?

There are some games that benefit from overclocking. But on others I’d rather save a bit of battery life and go with O3DS speeds. I just hate having to do it each time I launch a game. Not sure if this functionality already exists and I just didn’t know it!
So this turns out to be much more challenging than I had hoped... Still trying to get it to work properly. First, I tried the method I outlined in the previous post, but I found that the cpu settings would revert to default when going to the home menu. So I then tried to retrieve the per game cpu settings at the place in code where Luma applies the generic cpu settings, however, the titleId of the game is not available to do the retrieval (because titleId is the NS service instead). After that, I tried altering the game exheader cpu settings, but then it seems that only the L2 cache flag is considered and when it is set both the L2 cache is enabled and the higher clock speed (so 804MHz & L2 cache or nothing). There are also issues with getting it to work alongside the existing, generic cpu settings. I've got a few more ideas to try...

Also, anyone have experience with APT:SetApplicationCpuTimeLimit? Are there risks/downsides to cranking that setting up in the exheader settings?

Last edited by Nutez,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Also, anyone have experience with APT:SetApplicationCpuTimeLimit? Are there risks/downsides to cranking that setting up in the exheader settings?

I don't think you can call that from Rosalina. You shouldn't though either.

It doesn't really have any downside, but cranking it too high does cause a noticable slowdown in IO operations and drivers, which directly affects game performance as well, especially load times.

As for overclocking and L2 misfortunes, the only game known for breaking is Colors!3DS, but even then it's just some visual garbage in the menus.

You could try svcKernelSetState(10, 3, 0, 0) to see if that does anything?

Reactions: Nutez

Ryu_Okami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you’re still interested in adding in nonessential features, I would like to re-suggest a LED controller within Rosalina, similar to RGBYpatty.

It would have to be applied like a screen filter, and re-applied on the console exiting sleep mode.

Though it’s purely aesthetic, I still believe it’d be a very interesting addition.

Also, I love the automatic wireless shutoff inside sleep mode :3
My battery can last IMMENSELY longer than before!
Thank you so much for it!

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think you can call that from Rosalina. You shouldn't though either.

It doesn't really have any downside, but cranking it too high does cause a noticable slowdown in IO operations and drivers, which directly affects game performance as well, especially load times.
Fair enough, I had wondered about changing the value in the exheader as part of loader/patcher, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to mess with the predefined balance.

As for overclocking and L2 misfortunes, the only game known for breaking is Colors!3DS, but even then it's just some visual garbage in the menus.

You could try svcKernelSetState(10, 3, 0, 0) to see if that does anything?
Unfortunately that method of application is also reverted when returning to the home menu... I'm not sure it is possible to get around this issue now, since the NS cpu patch is applied before the game titleId is available to use to retrieve game-specific settings. And the NS cpu patch settings are what get reverted to when returning to the home menu. Editing the value in the exheader does override the NS cpu patch so no home menu reversion, but it can only do 804MHz & L2 cache together... Not sure which would be the preferred choice for people? It's a compromise either way that is disappointing enough for me to be unsure if it is even worth including the "feature"...

If you’re still interested in adding in nonessential features, I would like to re-suggest a LED controller within Rosalina, similar to RGBYpatty.

It would have to be applied like a screen filter, and re-applied on the console exiting sleep mode.

Though it’s purely aesthetic, I still believe it’d be a very interesting addition.

Also, I love the automatic wireless shutoff inside sleep mode :3
My battery can last IMMENSELY longer than before!
Thank you so much for it!
Well, since I've finally implemented an extra config for optional features I would maybe consider including this as a Christmas special :lol:. Are you imagining custom colours, patterns and activation conditions?

Last edited by Nutez,

TamarindoJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Any chance of a switch/toogle on rosalina menu to turn off the bottom screen when playing games that barely uses it like Ridge Racer (it just shows the map) and save some battery while playing?

Anything like the GBA native mode...

Last edited by TamarindoJuice,

Ryu_Okami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, I had wondered about changing the value in the exheader as part of loader/patcher, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to mess with the predefined balance.

Unfortunately that method of application is also reverted when returning to the home menu... I'm not sure it is possible to get around this issue now, since the NS cpu patch is applied before the game titleId is available to use to retrieve game-specific settings. And the NS cpu patch settings are what get reverted to when returning to the home menu. Editing the value in the exheader does override the NS cpu patch so no home menu reversion, but it can only do 804MHz & L2 cache together... Not sure which would be the preferred choice for people? It's a compromise either way that is disappointing enough for me to be unsure if it is even worth including the "feature"...

Well, since I've finally implemented an extra config for optional features I would maybe consider including this as a Christmas special :lol:. Are you imagining custom colours, patterns and activation conditions?
That is exactly what I was thinking of :3
Basically it would function similarly to RGBYpatty; however idk if it’d be possible to add in additional patterns.
Also, looping on RGBYpatty isn’t the best, so that would need some looking into.

Thank you for considering this!
I think it’s something many people have wanted for a long time X3

Last edited by Ryu_Okami,

Benlo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ibenlo.com
XP
Country
United States
Does CTGP-7 still not work with this? Just curious.
I had no idea this existed for getting rid of flash cart drain! That alone is worth getting this for me, but playing some custom MK7 on top of that would be nice, but it's not like the end of the world if I can't.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to add a permanent custom filter?
Not yet. It's tricky to get the timing right for when to apply the filter. Sono has made some suggestions for how it might work before though. So I am planning to experiment with it some more in future.

Any chance of a switch/toogle on rosalina menu to turn off the bottom screen when playing games that barely uses it like Ridge Racer (it just shows the map) and save some battery while playing?

Anything like the GBA native mode...
That should already be possible via the brightness interface. The instructions look a little complex because each screen needs to be adjustable individually. Pressing Y should toggle which screen is switched off.

Does CTGP-7 still not work with this? Just curious.
I had no idea this existed for getting rid of flash cart drain! That alone is worth getting this for me, but playing some custom MK7 on top of that would be nice, but it's not like the end of the world if I can't.
This build still doesn't work with CTGP-7. CTGP-7 looks for a particular build of Luma (to minimise cheating IIRC), so it would need to updated to allow other builds. Pablo had kindly offered to do this, but my development on this build is too erratic and unfinished for it to be worth coordinating yet.

Reactions: Benlo

zarke661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not yet. It's tricky to get the timing right for when to apply the filter. Sono has made some suggestions for how it might work before though. So I am planning to experiment with it some more in future

my screen is extremely yellowish :( it would be nice not to have to keep applying temperature filter always.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New Update

I've finally implemented optional features by creating an extra config file. So far these include: the existing "Cut power to TWL Flashcards", the previously demoed "Cut 3DS WiFi in sleep mode" and the return of the old "Automatically suppress LEDs".
The new "game-specific N3DS settings" solution is more limited than I had originally hoped for - since it's all or nothing 804MHz cpu & L2 cache. However, it was the most stable and streamlined implementation I could find after pretty exhaustive experimentation...

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dude, you keep delivering so many goodies that this should be the official Luma's build... so many QoL improvements that actually makes this fork essential for any current 3DS user.

Big thanks to you, CTRPF team, Sono, s5bug, gabe565 and to the Luma team! Things like this need as much exposure as possible, amazing work

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for continuing to update this great fork, Nutez. I originally only started using it for the "cut power to slot-1" function, but all the other features have turned out to be great, too.

As a result, I end up using the Rosalina menu a whole lot more. Is there any way that the ZL and ZR buttons from the New 2/3DS systems could be used to bring up Rosalina? Currently they don't seem to be recognized at all in the custom menu combo tool.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're very welcome. It's nice to hear that other people find the features useful too.

Unfortunately that has been requested on the official branch but apparently it is not possible. However, you could try switching the functionality of the L and R buttons with the ZL and ZR buttons using rehid?

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Not a full update this time, but I wanted to try a "pre-release" for some testing and feedback as the upcoming feature is a bit more complex.

Background:
Thanks to another great Sono discovery™, we can now reliably apply filters to the LCDs as the console is booting up! This means automatically applied colour-correcting filters for faulty LCDs or hassle-free redshift. However, since the filter is applied so early on, we don't have button controls available to choose whether to enable the filter or not (no "hold X to boot with redshift"). Switching boot.firms/chainloading could somewhat achieve this, but I wanted to see if there was a more elegant solution... So I thought I would try implementing a Day/Night mode to control which filters are applied dependant on the time of boot/awaken.

Setup:
In the screen filters submenu, there are three new options: "Day Mode Filter", "Night Mode Filter" and "Day/Night Config". The Day and Night Mode filters are configured in the same way as the "Custom Filter" a.k.a. redshift and are saved to files "dayshift.bin" and "nightshift.bin". "Day/Night Config" allows you to enable whether the filter should be applied and choose the time at which "Day Mode" starts and "Night Mode" starts. The time is set for 0-23 hours with 10 minute intervals for simplicity. You can also choose the brightness level in each mode (these levels can be further tuned by "Permanent brightness recalibration") and whether or not to suppress the LEDs (though this is overridden by the extra config settings). Config is written to file "configBootshift.bin" and can be deleted and the console rebooted to disable the Day/Night mode feature entirely.

Notes:
Day/Night mode only checks the time at boot or when awakening from sleep, it can't automatically apply during gameplay. Manually applying a screen filter or the "Custom Filter" should override the Day/Night mode and stop it from applying when awakening from sleep.
In this build, there is also a new "Extra Config" option to enable opening the Rosalina menu by pressing the Home Button (which will still direct you to the Home Menu as usual after closing Rosalina).

Testing/Feedback:
I'd like some people already familiar with this Luma fork to test out the attached build for bugs please. It would also be useful to get feedback on writing a good explanation of how the feature works for newer people. And any ideas for a more catchy sounding name would be nice too ("Day/Night Mode" just seems a bit plain heh).
Also, while it's not feasible to continually check the time, it's probably possible to check on other notifications such as when the Home Button is pressed or a regular application starts. So I'd consider adding those in as optional triggers if there was some interest.

Thanks and enjoy.

Attachments

• day_night_mode_prerelease.zip
    186.2 KB · Views: 59

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
when starting Gba VC the filter configuration is lost?
Luma was created for 3DS operative system, when you open a DSi/DS or GBA game the console actually reboots and boots a different OS. Your only current option afaik is using TWPatch (by Sono again hehe) to apply Redshift filters, and using this Luma build to switch between different patches depending on your current needs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: i am 28 :cry: