Hacking Unofficial Luma build discussion

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been tinkering with a "custom" Luma build that has a few extra features added in. You can find it here with links and credit to any sources. It was sensibly suggested that I create a new thread for discussion/questions to avoid going off-topic in other threads (@BETA215). However, since I can't think of a good thread name: I thought I'd make it very generic and see if other people have their own builds to discuss too :P. Thanks and I will aim to update this post with better advice on using the features from feedback and questions.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By any chance does this work with both ctgp-7 and the project restoration mod for majoras mask 3d? Last time i checked the luma3ds that downloads from loading ctgp-7 causes project restoration to crash.

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been tinkering with a "custom" Luma build that has a few extra features added in. You can find it here with links and credit to any sources. It was sensibly suggested that I create a new thread for discussion/questions to avoid going off-topic in other threads (@BETA215). However, since I can't think of a good thread name: I thought I'd make it very generic and see if other people have their own builds to discuss too :P. Thanks and I will aim to update this post with better advice on using the features from feedback and questions.
how do I use this?

D

Deleted User

how do I use this?
This build contains some issues, but if you are sure you want to use it, you can go to this page and download the ZIP file. Then put the "boot.firm" from the ZIP file to the root of your 3DS's SD Card, overwriting the previous one.

Last edited by ,

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By any chance does this work with both ctgp-7 and the project restoration mod for majoras mask 3d? Last time i checked the luma3ds that downloads from loading ctgp-7 causes project restoration to crash.
Ehm, I can't actually test that but it should still work with the Restoration mod. CTGP-7, probably not since I think it looks for a specific version of Luma?

Yay, my favorite build got an update! Thanks for this.

I'm new to .cxi files and where to get those, but I'll figure it out.

Where do we place the default .3gx plugin again?
"default.3gx" goes in the "/luma/plugins" directory.

Reactions: cvskid and jelbo

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ehm, I can't actually test that but it should still work with the Restoration mod. CTGP-7, probably not since I think it looks for a specific version of Luma?
It works with Project Restoration. CTGP-7 not yet, I have asked @PabloMK7 to change the hard check for a specific Luma3DS build.

"default.3gx" goes in the "/luma/plugins" directory.
Thanks!

Reactions: cvskid and Nutez

Stolen

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I can make it compatible in a new update, but just keep in mind that if you build a new .firm it will break compatibility again. (So better to make sure you won't be building a new .firm in some time.)
Or maybe is better to fix all the issues this luma mod has then make the update which is more logical.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can make it compatible in a new update, but just keep in mind that if you build a new .firm it will break compatibility again. (So better to make sure you won't be building a new .firm in some time.)
That would be very cool, thanks! I guess it should wait until the kinks are worked out though.
Or maybe is better to fix all the issues this luma mod has then make the update which is more logical.
Sure, I'd be happy to, but don't have a list of issues yet :/. There was a point raised about missing the maximum "luminance" level but that actually seems to have been a bug fix picked up from the official Luma repo. I also wasn't able to get it building in release mode so there's still a debug menu item... Please let me know of any bugs or poor explanations of things.

Reactions: jelbo

Stolen

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That would be very cool, thanks! I guess it should wait until the kinks are worked out though.

Sure, I'd be happy to, but don't have a list of issues yet :/. There was a point raised about missing the maximum "luminance" level but that actually seems to have been a bug fix picked up from the official Luma repo. I also wasn't able to get it building in release mode so there's still a debug menu item... Please let me know of any bugs or poor explanations of things.
I just said bugs because dwain12435 said it contains some issues, I really did not tested this yet but I will.

If it has some issues I suppose it will be better to fix them first instead making pablo work twice in the same thing, just my opinion

cheers

Reactions: Nutez

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only thing I have had is then I have enabled the Plugin loader with the default.3gx plugin (CTRPlugin 0.6.0 beta I believe, from Nanquitas' discord channel) and loaded it with a game it works fine, but when I start another game, chances are it will crash.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The only thing I have had is then I have enabled the Plugin loader with the default.3gx plugin (CTRPlugin 0.6.0 beta I believe, from Nanquitas' discord channel) and loaded it with a game it works fine, but when I start another game, chances are it will crash.
You will need to provide a crash screen as well as the games you used.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New version available for those interested. The "new feature" is a rework of the screen brightness adjustment interface. You can now set the brightness for top and bottom screens individually. Optionally, you can also exceed the maximum brightness preset to use the true maximum limit (at your own risk?). And finally, you can choose to switch off the bottom screen backlight entirely, which might be useful for Virtual Console games.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This build is amazing, but I am guessing that it should be possible to further adjust the brightness. I have LCD tweaker on my N3DS, and the brightness can go down to 1, and up to well past 255.
Oh yes I remember using Sono's great LCD Tweaker before. Unfortunately, that was before I started messing around with homebrew myself, so I didn't save a copy of the (now unavailable) source code. The current brightness limits are imposed by the function used to set brightness. I don't really have experience with hardware and registers (library script-kiddie :ninja:), but maybe it can be done here?

Side note: any suggestions for future features? I was considering trying to implement "text notes" that let you use the standard touchscreen keyboard to save typed notes as custom notifications, without needing to close the game/app you have open. So kind of like a typed text version of game notes. Probably a bit too situational but I think it could be fun to actually make use of Notifications.

red9350

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In a future release i'd like a way to automatically apply a screen filter at boot.
Currently i'm using the Custom filter to calibrate my top screen (excessive green tint from the factory) and having to reapply it at every boot is becoming a bit annoying...
EDIT:
Oh i'd also like to disable RedShift's automatic LED turn-off feature

Last edited by red9350,

KungBore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to implement white-point calibration? It seems that the filters only apply a color filter (well, of course).
Also, is it possible to use this with Twilight Menu?

Edit: Where do I report bugs? I think I've found one. My DS cards only work if I insert them while the 3ds is on.

Last edited by KungBore,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Edit: Where do I report bugs? I think I've found one. My DS cards only work if I insert them while the 3ds is on.

This is not a bug, this is intended behaviour:
Release page notes: said:
Automatic cut to slot power when booted with DS/TWL game cartridge inserted:
  • This stops DS flashcarts from leeching power when not in use
  • You will need to force boot into DS game cartridge by using the CIA from here, with TWiLightMenu or reinsert the cartridge

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn