Hacking Unofficial EZ Flash Omega kernel by veikkos

veikkos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@veikkos All the icons, assets and backgrounds are original and drawn from scratch by me. Only the 'nor' and 'gb' icon i edited from the official EZ flash theme. For the "image not found" image I obviously took my inspiration from the "Super Mario" flower.

The font I got from a theme called "clean" which was linked by @stap in the ez flash omega skins thread. I don't know if he is the creator or not..
Cool!

Also font is now integrated.

Last things to figure out are tweaking few colors. The "selected" color for SD-card games is too dark gray, it needs to be either lightened up or (dark?) red could be also considered? The lighter selection gray for NOR works ok, so if lightening the SD card selection it will be close/same than this. Patch notes gray is also too dark, lightening that up few steps should do.

Also, would you have nice color for GBA icon so that it would match the red theme? Purple is ok, but I think it could be nicer if also red? If you want, we can have separate color for the GB/GBC. Fire me up with graphics if you'd want that.

Feel free to suggest colors or I can also figure out something.

Last edited by veikkos,

Nona_Elexis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cool!

Also font is now integrated.

Last things to figure out are tweaking few colors. The "selected" color for SD-card games is too dark gray, it needs to be either lightened up or (dark?) red could be also considered? The lighter selection gray for NOR works ok, so if lightening the SD card selection it will be close/same than this. Patch notes gray is also too dark, lightening that up few steps should do.

Also, would you have nice color for GBA icon so that it would match the red theme? Purple is ok, but I think it could be nicer if also red? If you want, we can have separate color for the GB/GBC. Fire me up with graphics if you'd want that.

Feel free to suggest colors or I can also figure out something.
@veikkos Good that you found out how to integrate the font! About the colors, I already tought those would look too dark. On my IPS gba it's fine, but it's probably not very visible on frontlit or non backlit gba's. I will have a look at those, and the gb / gba icon graphics tomorrow and will let you know.

Reactions: veikkos

Nona_Elexis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@veikkos I updated the color map to make the highlight and patch notes more visible, and gave the gba icon a red color. I also created a graphic for gbc games which would be cool if you could use it. Let me know what you think of it.

Attachments

• Update Dark Red.zip
    504.2 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: veikkos

veikkos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@veikkos I updated the color map to make the highlight and patch notes more visible, and gave the gba icon a red color. I also created a graphic for gbc games which would be cool if you could use it. Let me know what you think of it.
Looks good! Now everything should be ready.

Please find the attached release candidate kernel which has been built from source. Please note that since GBC icon was added, the "red" binary is no longer Universal Skinner compatible but would need new definitions file, so if you still want to try any changes use the original v5 binary. (Binary with original skin was not affected by the changes and exactly the same binary is still produced.)

If there are future updates coming for the kernel, I will release both the original and "red" binaries so that users can choose. I know I'll be using the red one. ;)

I think it came out very nice!

Edit: Red theme mainlined and link to the release available in original post.

Attachments

• k1.06_fw7-veikkos5-red-rc1.zip
    538.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by veikkos,
Reactions: Nona_Elexis

veikkos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Would it be difficult to add a mechanism to restore save game backups to the SAVER directory via the Omega kernel UI?
I prefer not to have that since every game start creates a new backup and it's difficult to keep track which backup is which, and eventually you might lose the backup you needed. Therefore I believe it's best that users copy all the backups to their computers to safety before attempting restore. Also on the computer you can see the backup creation date which helps restoring the right copy - on console you cannot see that.

Reactions: andrewjozay

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this more stable than official kernel?

the backup save folder, has it 'saved' anyone?

I ask because How often is corruption wiping whole SD

...vs. individual roms or save files (or SAVER folder)?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Bruno Jenso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for late reply but 1.07 doesn't bring anything new that wouldn't be in custom kernel already.

Hi Veikkos - is there an easy way I could tweak the graphics subtly on the Red versions (I think I can improve the theme a bit more). I'm on a Mac which may complicate things.

Masonacdc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just recently started using this custom kernel and really like It but I am currently having issue saving gb games they show up in my save and backup save folder but when I launch the game and hit continue says no save found any advice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.