Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My self-learning coding course hasn't reached the asm chapter yet, i completely fail at understanding the assembled code. Let alone optimizing it. I don't have any medals laying around, else you would have got it.

Looking at how notaz's recent commits, maybe he could be of any assistance.
Could it be worth sharing your findings and issues you've ran into with him?

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Gonna bite here a bit - is there any hope on improving performance of Snes9X-cores for games that I'm forced to play with poorer audio emulation for full speed (Bubble2K's Snes9x Emulator with games like Kirby Super Star or Yoshi's Island)?
Kinda been perplexed for a long while now with how PSX-emulation on 3DS has been looking to be much more advanced and performing decently compared to SNES lately (though I remember well how this is because lack of interest, which has bummed me a good while now as I've been owning a N3DS XL a long while and was looking highly forward to playing some chip-based SNES-games)

So far I see not much difference between DSP_Threaded-audio driver and other audio drives used, and at best I can hit somewhat smooth FPS dipping between 55-60 FPS after enabling Threaded Video, with some minor audio hiccups.

cubaliu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My self-learning coding course hasn't reached the asm chapter yet, i completely fail at understanding the assembled code. Let alone optimizing it. I don't have any medals laying around, else you would have got it.

Hi MrHuu, appreciate so much for all you’ve contributed to the 3ds fans, obviously great work!
Just one more requiring, is that possible to run the PGM platform arcade game Knights of Valour / Sangoku Senki on the unofficial retroarch builds for n3ds? It is awesome and amazing Dragon Dungeon like style game which can be run properly on Pc version FBA2012 with a bios file pgm.zip together put with the original rom. Hope there is a way to make it successful on my n3ds. Again, thank you so much for the fun you profited.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's a separate build, I don't remeber where it is though... also, mGBA standalone build has gyro support too
I tried every allegedly "experimental gyro build" out there but none worked. mGBA runs badly on O3DS. I guess i can live without playing the two or three games that use gyro

SmoothCh1ken

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

HI, I've been trying to play cps3 games on my n3ds for quite a long time, but I couldn't get a rom to work on the emulator. I always get the message "Failed to load file". Could you pls give me the sfiii rom you used in your testing, or maybe a website where i can get it?

SmoothCh1ken

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

HI, I've been trying to play cps3 games on my n3ds for quite a long time, but I couldn't get a rom to work on the emulator. I always get the message "Failed to load file". Could you pls give me the sfiii rom you used in your testing, or maybe a website where i can get it?

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can I request zc210-libretro? It's a lesser-known port of Zelda Classic v2.10 for retroarch.
I was able to compile the core for windows but I've been lost trying to compile for consoles.
Since you've brought us the wonderful Sonic port; here you go.

Follow the readme on the github page to set things up. Please confirm if everything is working well, if it does i could add a .cia build as-well.

Attachments

• zc210_libretro_3DSX.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible to add gyro to gpSP like GBARunner2?

A quick look at the possibilities for gpSP makes me realize i don't want to touch this.
There are unofficial builds of gpSP adding these features, but those builds are made while the original author said not to do so.

Being the main reason why the project got abandoned. Out of my deepest respect for Notaz, I will not backport any of this. I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, using the latest builds, the roms i was using are also non functional. Maybe someday i'll have a look at it again, but don't expect anything anytime soon.

Reactions: MarioKartFan

JeffRuLz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you've brought us the wonderful Sonic port; here you go.

Follow the readme on the github page to set things up. Please confirm if everything is working well, if it does i could add a .cia build as-well.
Thank you so much! Here's the results of my play testing on a New 3DS:

- The zc210 folder needed to be in the retroarch/cores/system/ folder instead of retroarch/system/ (however that may be normal for retroarch on 3ds.)
- Loading a quest file takes about 90 seconds. Removing the optional sound packs does not affect it.
- Once the quest starts it plays smoothly. Visuals are good, solid 60fps, saving works and sound works fine too.
- Pressing the X button to bring up the overwold map immediatly crashes the console.
- The console freezes about 1 second after opening the pause menu by pressing Select. (The game over menu works fine though.)
- Exiting retroarch crashes the console.

I haven't looked too deep into the source yet, but I'll try again to compile it first.

Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you so much! Here's the results of my play testing on a New 3DS:

- The zc210 folder needed to be in the retroarch/cores/system/ folder instead of retroarch/system/ (however that may be normal for retroarch on 3ds.)
- Loading a quest file takes about 90 seconds. Removing the optional sound packs does not affect it.
- Once the quest starts it plays smoothly. Visuals are good, solid 60fps, saving works and sound works fine too.
- Pressing the X button to bring up the overwold map immediatly crashes the console.
- The console freezes about 1 second after opening the pause menu by pressing Select. (The game over menu works fine though.)
- Exiting retroarch crashes the console.

I haven't looked too deep into the source yet, but I'll try again to compile it first.

The compilation flags are not complete to be able to build.

I 'm not near my pc atm, but i'll try to guide you anyways.

Currently only the CFLAGS are set, you'll have to set the CXX flags aswell.
Add the libctru include folder.

It's also required to build with: USE_CTRULIB_2 defined.

Then you should be able to build when running: make platform=ctr

This will build the core and you should be able to continue building retroarch as usual.

Reactions: JeffRuLz

JeffRuLz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The compilation flags are not complete to be able to build.

I 'm not near my pc atm, but i'll try to guide you anyways.

Currently only the CFLAGS are set, you'll have to set the CXX flags aswell.
Add the libctru include folder.

It's also required to build with: USE_CTRULIB_2 defined.

Then you should be able to build when running: make platform=ctr

This will build the core and you should be able to continue building retroarch as usual.
I finally got around to trying and I was able to compile it this time. Using your instructions I also added "-marm -mfpu=vfp -mtp=soft" to cflags, which was copied from a retroarch makefile.

UltraSyko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick look at the possibilities for gpSP makes me realize i don't want to touch this.
There are unofficial builds of gpSP adding these features, but those builds are made while the original author said not to do so.

Being the main reason why the project got abandoned. Out of my deepest respect for Notaz, I will not backport any of this. I'm sorry.
Dang, that's okay. I'm sure Notaz has his reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup