DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grabbed the new cores, nice nice.

Played a bit of SNES, runs GREAT.
gpSP runs like a dream when it can manage to get everything loaded correctly. I hope I can get to the bottom of this. I'm hoping its just a setting I have wrong somewhere. Maybe I'll try a spare SD card.
Genesis runs great.
I tried using the .3dsx cores, they run great too.

OK EDIT hang on,
My ROMs load everytime if I turn Cheevos off. So I'm still not 100% why or what's doing it but this leads me to believe that its something to do with when RA calls out to the Cheevos site to post the game activity. I hope this helps.

Yeah after more testing, I don't think this is something on my end.

Last edited by BORTZ,

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed a new bug.

I set up Achievements and tested it with "Kirby's Adventure". (Easy game, quick achievements to see if things work) Everything worked out just fine. Decided to go back to playing the PSX games I've been playing recently, and turned off Internet on the 3DS to conserve battery life a bit more. Forgot to disable Achievements. If RetroArch is unable to connect to the Achievements site in this state, it just freezes after making all the different attempts.

Is there any way to get it to just give up and automatically turn Achievements off if no internet connection is detected? I double-checked and PCSX-ReARMed doesn't have Achievement support anyways (or at least the LibRetro docs claim it doesn't), and it would be nice if I can just turn off Internet instead of making sure I remember whether the settings are on or off each time I want to play a game that does or doesn't have an Achievement list or Achievement functionality at all.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed a new bug.

I set up Achievements and tested it with "Kirby's Adventure". (Easy game, quick achievements to see if things work) Everything worked out just fine. Decided to go back to playing the PSX games I've been playing recently, and turned off Internet on the 3DS to conserve battery life a bit more. Forgot to disable Achievements. If RetroArch is unable to connect to the Achievements site in this state, it just freezes after making all the different attempts.

Is there any way to get it to just give up and automatically turn Achievements off if no internet connection is detected? I double-checked and PCSX-ReARMed doesn't have Achievement support anyways (or at least the LibRetro docs claim it doesn't), and it would be nice if I can just turn off Internet instead of making sure I remember whether the settings are on or off each time I want to play a game that does or doesn't have an Achievement list or Achievement functionality at all.
Maybe something MrHuu can look into. I know he wanted to take a look at the net code for Cheevos anyways.

justinweiss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the mgba source gave me an idea, so here's a pcsx core with a threaded renderer. You can toggle it under advanced unai settings, it's off by default.

This is very experimental and certainly has bugs, but it seemed worth a try.

Attachments

• pcsx_rearmed_libretro.3dsx.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 197

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New experimental PCSX core is crashing upon loading content for me. I can start the core and load content, but upon loading I get the Arm11 exception screen. I've attached my crash dump (hehehe, dump) to the post just in case it helps.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.dmp.txt
    668 bytes · Views: 231

justinweiss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New experimental PCSX core is crashing upon loading content for me. I can start the core and load content, but upon loading I get the Arm11 exception screen. I've attached my crash dump (hehehe, dump) to the post just in case it helps.

Looks like some other in-progress changes snuck in there -- that build would crash if you didn't have Async CD access on. I updated the build, should be fixed now.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly can't believe how well these cores handle SNES. I played through the entirety of Super Mario All-Stars - Super Mario Bros (2nd Quest) yesterday. All levels, no warps, and it felt oh so good.

I am so sorely tempted to get that special edition NTSC-U SNES style N3DS but I already have 4 3DSs.

Last edited by BORTZ,

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I honestly can't believe how well these cores handle SNES. I played through the entirety of Super Mario All-Stars - Super Mario Bros (2nd Quest) yesterday. All levels, no warps, and it felt oh so good.

I am so sorely tempted to get that special edition NTSC-U SNES style N3DS but I already have 4 3DSs.
Which core were you using?

justinweiss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro, the threaded renderer is going to cause input lag.

It shouldn't affect input lag, because it forces everything to be in sync whenever the PSX CPU wants to see changes from the GPU. As long as the CPU doesn't care what the GPU is doing, they can both do things at the same time.

SNES9x2002 I think.

Nice! I haven't played a lot of SNES lately, but I'm also hoping the changes make the SNES9x2005 cores full-speed for more games.

Reactions: MarioKartFan

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Completely this, despite owning a hacked Nintendo Switch, I find the 3DS experience a lot better because is more portable and has a better aspect ratio that fits very well with retro games.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completely this, despite owning a hacked Nintendo Switch, I find the 3DS experience a lot better because is more portable and has a better aspect ratio that fits very well with retro games.
There's something about the shitty 3DS screens that make it better for older games, at least IMO.

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
@justinweiss

Since you are busy redefining what we can do with Retroarch I thought I’d ask: any idea why Metal Gear Solid is now reported as a rock solid 59.9 FPS in Retroarch but still runs poorly? The in-game FPS seems closer to 18 or so. I’m guessing the original ran closer to 30. Seems like the emulator is running full speed but the game isn’t.....if that makes any sense.

justinweiss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're running with the RetroArch threaded video setting on, it can drop frames and I don't think that will affect the overlay FPS counter. It is less likely to drop frames if vsync is on, but it will stutter more instead. There's a lot running on the background thread now (RA threaded video, dsp_thread, RA job processing, autosave, async CD access, PCSX threaded rendering, PCSX threaded SPU, etc.), so it may be more likely than it was before. Does it still happen if you have threaded video off? That's the only thing I can think of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs