Unmotivated Tool Release Post

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TempusC, Jun 6, 2010.

Jun 6, 2010

Unmotivated Tool Release Post by TempusC at 10:36 PM (2,558 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. TempusC
    OP

Member TempusC GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I’ve made some tools for reading brfnts and making NSMBW tilesets. I’m too lazy to pack them up right now, but you can run them with python and PyQt.

Brfnt is v0.3 and does not export anything right now, but otherwise works fine. Puzzle - NSMBW Tileset Creator is v1.0, and should work fine as is.

Link

I intend to eventually package these properly, but I’ve been sitting on them for months due to continuously getting distracted by other projects (which are private until release).

Credits to Wii.py for the u8 class, and Treeki for the LZ77 compression/decompression. Credits to Matthew Parlane for some early brfnt info.

2. TempusC
    OP

Canada
    Windows binary for Puzzle:

Link

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    brfnt? Does this mean we are close to custom Wii fonts? (brfnt is fonts, right?)

EDIT: Any tips on getting the brfnt tool working? I have installed Python 3.1 and PyQt 4.7.3-2, and tried to install SIP, but when I tried to make it gave hundreds of errors. Still cannot get it to run, as I am guessing I need SIP for it to work. Any ideas why it won't compile for me?

4. TempusC
    OP

Canada
    Use Python 2.6. Python 3.X is not stable yet.

And yes, I developed this tool months ago. I can also manually create brfnts, but it takes too much time to practical. I’d like to finish the brfnt encoder/exporter, but I have other more urgent things on my plate. For now, you can view them, and the specs for the format are in the code so go ahead and use those as well.

5. SifJar

United Kingdom
    I had Python 2.6 installed, but when I went to run the PyQt installer, it told me it was for Python 3.1, so I installed Python 3.1. Do I need a different version for use with Python 2.6? And do I need SIP?

6. TempusC
    OP

Canada
    You need to get the PyQt 2.6 installer. And the Windows installer will come with SIP. If you are not on Windows, please inform me of your platform - you can use apt-get or on Mac I can give instructions on how to compile yourself.

7. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yeah I'm on Windows, thanks. I'll try and get it working now.

EDIT: Any chance you could point me to the download for the 2.6 version? I can't seem to find one...

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. It was pretty obvious actually.

EDIT: OK, seems to be working now. However, when I open a brfnt file, nothing seems to happen. I can generate a font from one on the system (although obviously can't export it), but I can't seem to be able to load fonts?

8. TempusC
    OP

Canada
    That’s odd. What fonts are you trying to load, and what errors do you get in the console? I’ve tested several games and they load fine.

9. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Here's a screenshot of the error:

[​IMG]

Its a brfnt I extracted from the System Menu.

10. TempusC
    OP

Canada
    That’s odd, my program was compliant with the sys menu font specs megazig and Matt_P showed me. Come bug me on IRC about it sometime - username Tempus on irc.freenode.net and irc.efnet.net. We’ll tweak it till it’s working smooth!