Android unlocking phones to any network

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I doubt you would be able to find someone willing to provide you with an unlock code for your phone. You're better off either purchasing an unlock code over the internet or contacting your mobile network and see if they provide an unlocking solution. (I know O2 provides free unlocking from past experience.)

What phone do you have? If it happens to be a Galaxy S or S II you could give this a try

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most phone repair stores offer SIM unlocking, it's not illegal at all. In fact, a SIM lock is just a precaution used by carriers to ensure that you will not "stop" using their services all of a sudden, but nowadays it's obselete. In the past, you could have a phone for years without any upgrades and the assumption was that since it was locked, you will likely just continue the contract rather then buy a new expensive phone with the exact same features. Nowadays users think the other way around - as soon as the contract ends, I can get a new, snazzy phone cheap.

SIM locks are a thing of the past, and carriers need to start realizing that.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most phone repair stores offer SIM unlocking, it's not illegal at all. In fact, a SIM lock is just a precaution used by carriers to ensure that you will not "stop" using their services all of a sudden, but nowadays it's obselete. In the past, you could have a phone for years without any upgrades and the assumption was that since it was locked, you will likely just continue the contract rather then buy a new expensive phone with the exact same features. Nowadays users think the other way around - as soon as the contract ends, I can get a new, snazzy phone cheap.

SIM locks are a thing of the past, and carriers need to start realizing that.

IIRC unlocking a phone is a grey area (unless it came factory unlocked?). Remember the DMCA ruling on jailbreaking an iPhone? To the best of my knowledge it said jailbreaking was legal as long as you don't do it specifically to unlock your device.

Apparently that included unlocking a phone.

Reactions: 1 person

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
I found the solution on the xda-developers site , however it required the phone to be rooted , and for some reason it wouldnt root , no matter what i tried .. i got bored and realised i was only doing this to maintain my phone number , i bit the bullet and bought an orange sim and alls well lol... orange wanted £23 to unlock it under the proviso that i waited for 3 months before doing so lol.. how anyone can request 23 quid for a code is daylight robbery... a new sim cost me ermm .. nothing . lol a real no brainer.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In France it's a free service directly done by the mobile operator if you bought it 3 months ago or more.
It can be done by phone or by internet.

Did you check your own operator website? Maybe they have the same options in other countries.
unless your phone doesn't have an active operator anymore.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
yeah , the web was first place i looked , it gave me a phone number lol. But its really by the by now as everyone has my new number and it would now cause the exact oposite effect :s

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
You got a new sim card which is the same network as the phone was locked too anyway? That doesn't make sense at all.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
i had a vodafone phone , and then wanted to unlock an orange phone to use my voda sim , but in the end got an orange sim for the new phone , makes perfect sense.

Why else would i want to unlock it ? lol

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
Well you never said your phone was locked to vodafone or that you got a new phone.

What phone did you get?

edit: Scrolled up and found what phone you had. nvm.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i had a vodafone phone , and then wanted to unlock an orange phone to use my voda sim , but in the end got an orange sim for the new phone , makes perfect sense.

Why else would i want to unlock it ? lol
Main reason for unlocking an Orange phone would be so you could use a decent network, like O2 ;) Orange has terrible coverage, in my experience.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
to be fair i used most networks over the years and never found one to be much different to another , and i have travelled quite a bit. But maybe i just not that fussy

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
to be fair i used most networks over the years and never found one to be much different to another , and i have travelled quite a bit. But maybe i just not that fussy
probably not such an issue in some areas, around where I live there is terrible Orange coverage. My brother was on Orange for a few years, and consistently had a lack of signal, when I almost always had full signal in the same place on O2. But obviously if that's not the case where you are it doesn't matter.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The phone is locked to Orange. He wanted to use his old Vodafone SIM in it to save changing numbers but decided it was too much hassle to do so so just got an Orange SIM.
I would say that Orange are completely crap for data. before i got my GiffGaff SIM and was looking into contracts Orange was the most expensive for the least amount of data. Their unlocking policy is also just terrible. £23 to unlock is just ridiculous.
Your best bet is to ask a phone repair shop how much they'll charge to unlock your phone if you want decent data charges. I strongly recommend GiffGaff its lovely and cheap though its coverage may leave a bit to be desired at times (if you live in the city you should be ok) and if you use a referrer link (which i would be happy to provide) you can get extra credit completely free.

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
If you've got a blackberry I'll be happy to unlock it for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: