Tutorial  Updated

Unlinking EmuNAND and fix 002-2634

I started to decorate my O3DS 10.3 EmuNAND home menu with badges but every time I reboot into emuNAND, all icons, that weren't present in the sysNAND before setting EmuNAND up, pops out of the folders, replace badges and the known unwrapping bug. Besides that, sysNAND will reset your home menu theme if the sysNAND doesn't know this theme. All this can be solved by unlinking the NAND's.

BUT the big other isssue by unlinking them is that your NNID will be not linked to you 3DS anymore, your 3DS kinda „logs out“ your NNID at the formating process. This process information is remebered in your NNID account, say, Nintendo servers. That's why you need internet connection for formatting the device.

I spent an hour of solving this problem, so that's why I'm writting down my steps for correct unlinking:

1. Remove SD-Card and backup all data (or at least the "Nintendo 3DS folder), EmuNAND too! Use https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/

2. Boot sysNAND without SD-Card and go to Settings → Formating.

3. Format! (It will ask for an internet connection (for logging off NNID from this device), but don't worry, it WILL NOT update!) - Your NAND's are after formating unlinked!

Don't forget to remove Smealum's DNS!

4. Setup you device again, but spare your try for logging in your NNID, you have to update FW for logging in, which no one of us wants.

5. Put SD-Card back in

At this point, you can't even use your NNID in the emuNAND, because Nintendo servers remebered your logging off process while formating, that's why you get the error 002-2634.

We need our 3DS on newest FW, not logged in, to log into our NNID

6. Boot into EmuNAND (rxTools, CakeFW, ReiNAND etc.)

7.Format your EmuNAND! (You made a backup of your SD-Card and emuNAND on it, so don't worry.
Don't forget to remove Smealum's DNS!

8. Boot into EmuNAND after formating, set up and log into your NNID – that should work know.
Note: I suggest to use Smealum's DNS 107.211.140.065, do it while you are setting up your device. This DNS blocks Nintendo's update server.

9. Restore SD-Cards data and EmuNAND.

10.Done!

Now you have an unlinked EmuNAND, fully NNID/eshop access on it and no homemenu interference by your sysNAND.

Contra: You can't log in SysNAND into you NNID account (which is not important either, because you are on a old FW that can't use ehop) and you will lost all data on your SysNAND, but if you want to keep your saves and cia's, do a backup with SDF and a cia manager and restore after unlinking

Tested on 9.2.0-20E O3DS / EmuNAND 10.3-x

Last edited by artur3004,
Reactions: OolongPie

artur3004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
this git is nearly unvisited, no wonder it's not commonly known. there is no documentation - can you tell me something about it?

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in a pastebin that roxas75 posted he linked to that and basically says dont be an idiot and format with sd card out. my emunand has only worked perfectly when i have used it. when you run it, it removes itself.

artur3004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well yeah, if you use that application - but no idiot talked about it so i tried it on my way - and it worked - u mad?

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is not my software. i am not even sure it is as useful as it once was because i have not followed what pasta team has changed and i dont know jack about N3ds. Seems to me most changes are being made for the sake of n3ds users. I have O3ds with 2.6 version of rxtools. I dont claim to be an expert... i cant even get gba game cias working.
If i was to make a guess on what it formats it would be the cache that the 3ds makes when a sd card is inserted. you know how you insert an sd card into windows and sometimes it wants to scan for errors for no good reason? well the 3ds will do the same check but not tell you. it only warns you to not remove the card while the 3ds is on. I have had my emunand break before from taking out the card while it was on. I dont understand much about the voodoo of the Nintendo 3ds folder. perhaps there is a folder named 000000000 inside another that holds data for ram checks.

Last edited by bitjacker,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Tell me what exactly tinyformat format and i will rewrite the tut
it is not my software. i am not even sure it is as useful as it once was because i have not followed what pasta team has changed and i dont know jack about N3ds. Seems to me most changes are being made for the sake of n3ds users. I have O3ds with 2.6 version of rxtools. I dont claim to be an expert... i cant even get gba game cias working.
If i was to make a guess on what it formats it would be the cache that the 3ds makes when a sd card is inserted. you know how you insert an sd card into windows and sometimes it wants to scan for errors for no good reason? well the 3ds will do the same check but not tell you. it only warns you to not remove the card while the 3ds is on. I have had my emunand break before from taking out the card while it was on. I dont understand much about the voodoo of the Nintendo 3ds folder. perhaps there is a folder named 000000000 inside another that holds data for ram checks.
From the looks of it, it performs a system format but without deleting the contents of the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, so it is essentially the same thing as formatting with the SD card out (but you obviously can't do that when formatting emuNAND)
It MIGHT be able to format without causing the NNID to be unlinked on Nintendo's servers, though it doesn't say anything about that.

artur3004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmmm.... I tried to use tinyformat for my new3ds 9.0 after creating emunand, but it just failed and exits... tried to start through menuhax-->ctr boot manager, browserhax-->hbl. failed. Then I thought it needs signature checks off, then tried both ways again, but starting rxtools sysnand before. failed. tried menuhax-->ctrboot manager-->gateway 3ds sysnand-->hbl launcher cia. failed. So - I can't test it...

adiktus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with formatting the emunand still with nnid. I think it fails because the nnid is supposed to be 'free' after formatting sysnand, so it can't free it again while formatting emunand, and I get errors. Right now, I'm trying a different path: formatting a linked emunand with the recently formatted sysnand via gateway, updating it to 10.3, connect to the old nnid, then restore the original emunand with nnid.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got all this set up wifi and friend stuff but ...i got to unwrap gifts each time I enter emunand from web browser bookmark I open the rx dat and load into emunand then boom presents load -_- was doing fine till today

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got all this set up wifi and friend stuff but ...i got to unwrap gifts each time I enter emunand from web browser bookmark I open the rx dat and load into emunand then boom presents load -_- was doing fine till today
You need to unlink your nand's pull out the SD card and do a system format.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no I just did this !!! I did this with emunand and got all my friend code set up! I just got online working ! I only have a ID Friend code on Emunnad..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wait if I format just system nand will it harm emunand

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm having problems with formatting the emunand still with nnid. I think it fails because the nnid is supposed to be 'free' after formatting sysnand, so it can't free it again while formatting emunand, and I get errors. Right now, I'm trying a different path: formatting a linked emunand with the recently formatted sysnand via gateway, updating it to 10.3, connect to the old nnid, then restore the original emunand with nnid.

So did it work using your method?

WolfHeroEX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this same issue, and I tore apart the good portion of a day trying to figure it out, but... Here's the fruits of my labor (and searching on gbatemp).

What I did is I backed up my emunand and Nintendo 3ds folder, and formatted the emunand system via the normal route. For some reason this re-linked the two nands.
Next, I formatted sysnand with tinyformat (I had just learned of it) and that seperated the nands once again. This created a third folder ID for emunand, which was confusing.
Then, I hopped onto the emunand and logged into my NNID. Since the previous system nands that had it were formatted, it allowed me to log in and it worked just fine.
Then I transferred my n3ds folder files to the new emunand folder. This turned out pointless, since when I imported the emunand I backed up it used the original n3ds folder ID.
I then transferred everything again, and it worked like a charm. Oh, and I also deleted the extra emunand folder that was created because it wasn't being used any more.

The restored emunand was able to check my NNID and find my e-shop titles I've downloaded before and purchased just fine. I had to use the NVER patch (and the multipatch app) to get the NNID config to run without an update, but I'm still using Cake CFW so I'm still needing to use HANS to load the e-shop. My firmware is version 9.2U on both nands.

So to recap, here's a method that'll probably get things done:

Step 1: Back up emunand and your entire Nintendo 3ds folder.
Step 2: Format emunand using tinyformat. This should keep your N3ds folder intact, but you'll have a backup just in case. This should also keep your nands unlinked.
Step 3: Assuming you don't have sysnand linked to your NNID, you can re-link your NNID to your newly formatted emunand.
Step 4: Clone the emunand backup back into the system via Emunand9.
Step 5: Profit.

If you have sysnand linked to your NNID as well, you'll want to use tinyformat on it after you tinyformat your emunand. There will be a few things that you'll need to set back up, but you won't need to redo the entire emunand installation process. Once you tinyformat your sysnand, don't link your NNID to it. You'll only want your NNID linked to your emunand.

If using tinyformat to format emunand still re-links your emunand and sysnand, just use tinyformat on sysnand and once it's set up, go on and import your emunand backup as usual. Again, don't link your NNID to your sysnand. If you're paranoid, go ahead and back up sysnand as well before using tinyformat on it.

I think most of the emunand stuff set up when you first installed emunand draws from the emunand partition on the sd card, so formatting the sysnand (without deleting the nintendo 3ds folder files) seems mostly fine and stable afterward.

Last edited by WolfHeroEX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.