ROM Hack Unknown Files for NDS

Ego

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been rummaging around in some japanese and english NDS files, and some weird filetype came up, and no tools I've found can open them.
for types that work fine it looks like this
stgNEHI.jpg

but ouendan 2 has some weird filetype that won't open or extract or anything
nQUh6N7.jpg

Any ideas on what I should do?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When a name has an underscore at the end of it then it is usually an indication of compression (no idea why devs choose to indicate it like that but they do), and if that was not enough then 10ZL in brackets makes me fairly sure it is (10 is a common type of compression and zl is LZ backwards which is the type of compression most commonly used on the DS).
With that in mind
nsbmd is the DS 3d format (it is somewhat related to the bmd0 stuff from the GC and Wii)
nsbca is 3d animations if memory serves.

Taking a look at the files in question. It does seem to be a slightly custom form of compression, I have to wonder if someone did not screw up a compression encoder somewhere and have it write ASCII instead of hex at the start of the file. Looking past that the rest do seem to be standard 3d formats or whatever the other formats might be.

None of the obvious tweaks seemed to work with Cue's LZSS tool so I have to wonder about the compression flags later. Manually decoding a custom compression is not my idea of a good Saturday evening though, however I have a vague recollection that someone tackled this before.

If someone else is having to start from scratch there are some smaller files that it might be nicer to hand decode though, osu_text.ntfp_ being a good start. Edit. Also Crystaltile2 will note the ones encoded in normal LZ where this custom stuff will have the underscore in the name but no icon to match.

Ego

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd do it myself but i'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means
If memory serves me right, every EBA game other than the US version uses Ouendan 2's compression.
You can tell which game has the new compression if you see the "Saving..." graphic between plays.

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
It's normal LZO1 compression. Extracted them just using this as a BMS script:

endian LITTLE
get idstring long
get SIZE long
get ZSIZE long
get NAME basename
string NAME + .mdl
comtype lzo1x
clog NAME 0xc ZSIZE SIZE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm I had not seen or heard of that implementation before.... wonder why it was mixed (it seemed to happen at random and be done to things as small and non repeating as palettes).

*adds on common non console compressions to the list of things to learn about*

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
If my memory is not wrong and those files are the same i had in my hands before, they are not fully compressed. They have different sections on them and usually only "big" parts are compressed (example the texture part and each one singulary compressed).
Again if my memory is not wrong, sometimes the tools you use for Wii and GC work as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse