Universal Wii NAND

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LinkinParkmetre, Jun 20, 2008.

Jun 20, 2008

Universal Wii NAND by LinkinParkmetre at 10:15 PM (3,069 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. LinkinParkmetre
    OP

Member LinkinParkmetre GBAtemp Regular

France
    We all know that the wii can brick.
    The question is, if we don't have a NAND Backup, we can't take a nand from anywhere
    Also, i thought that we could do an universal nand, free to download, with only the 1.0 system file with no serial key associated, that we could enter with a program, or anything.
    Because when in the future, every wii will be possibly unbricked, we will have to get an universal nand.

2. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    ok, and how do you do it ?

3. LinkinParkmetre
    OP

France
    Dump manys Wii, compare them
    Then identify the part where each Wii is different.
    Then reset this part
    Then add with a program a way to modify it depending on your wii
    And then use it with the infectus argon method

4. jayparadox

Member jayparadox GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Like a decrypted NAND that gets encrypted with your Wii(unique) key when you install/reprogram it?
    I really don't think it's the best/easiest way to recover from a brick.

5. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What's with all these delusions of grandeur involving wii hacks?
    I don't know too much about how all the RSA signatures etc. work but i'm rather sure we know what nand parts are different, but are unable to reset the part due to signatures etc. from the Hollywood chip.

Actually scratch that, someone smart will say what is right.

6. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Using somebody else's nand will most certainly not help your bricked Wii.

7. mastermanna123

Member mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If only it was that easy...

8. zant

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    People should seriously make their own NAND backups if they were seriously into the scene. I mean, whats the max it will take, 512 MB on you sd card? You can buy a 1 gig for 3 dollars or even less.... Its a good thing to have! All we need now is a way to restore w/o a modchip (I hear a recovery mode!)

9. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Rediculous...

Restoring the NAND is impossible without a way of accessing it while it's not in use.

The only way you'd be able to do this without a drivechip is by booting from an SD card or USB device, which can't be done.

So, can we stop with the uninformed speculations?

10. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only time the NAND is not in use when the Wii is on is when it is running through boot1 and boot2... Which do almost nothing. Reverse engineering these early boot sequences is part of the large project bushing has been working on, and it's still not going to help fix any bricked Wiis without extra hardware.

The only REAL way you can access the NAND "while it's not in use" is by using a device that will actually hook up to the NAND chip itself and read it from outside the Wii... Which is what the Infectus chip can do for us.

But, yes, as mentioned before, you'd need the Wii's private private private private private super private NAND encryption key to be able to encrypt the NAND correctly (to make it readable by your Wii). These keys are stored in the Starlet (IIRC), and they're not exactly something you can just "dump." Watch the hour long presentation on hacking the 360 by tmbinc for a general idea of what bushing's trying to emulate. The Xbox360 has more security than the Wii, but on a basic level they're both very similar... The Wii's is likely to be weaker, though. Nintendo's still new to silicon based security [​IMG]

Edit: Oh and just to make this post seem stupid, teq you're really dumb and I wish you'd stop posting. *raspberries*

11. LinkinParkmetre
    OP

France
    That's why we should find the nand's part where the encryption key is, then find a way to reproduce it.
    Then every wii will be unbrickable.

For restoring the NAND. Wait. There is one method actually, but very hard. The scene is getting stronger day in day, and i'm sure than in one year maximum, it will be possible to do it with a non chipped Wii.
    The first homebrew was a tetris, shitlike. Now, we can install our own channels. Come on, it will be possible

12. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Just so I don't forget, I'll start out by saying fuck you for the last comment you made. As for the rest of your post, you're full of shit.

It's obvious this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, so I'm not about to feed his ignorance with a lengthy post. You, however, need to get your wits about you, so I won't mind telling you that you need to shut the hell up and get off your high horse.

There is a viable method for which the NAND can be signed and replaced via either an SD card or USB storage, without physical modification to the system. It currently exists as a maintenance disc, but it won't be long before a TFTP server that can initiate an update is available.

I don't care about the Infectus, because by the same respect, I could easily hook the Wii up to an FPGA board and have it cook me dinner. That doesn't help downgrading -- it's cheating.

So again, take your smug attitude somewhere else and stop trying to be a know-it-all; you just come off as an ass.

13. jayparadox

Member jayparadox GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Good look finding the key. And restoring the NAND by software... I wouldn't. Image if the power gets cut, or the system crashes. Good bye completely to your Wii.

14. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    wouldnt nintendo have some sort of "unbricking" tool for this, they must of thought i R&D ok a player installs a game power cut they get a brick, how can we fix this? because i dont want to spent anymoney. i think the wii might have some sort of 1st boot priotity from the usb, and useing a special IPL much like the psp it will boot from that so that NAND can then be restored correctly with that fish disk maybe. or maybe from the GC mem card ports, again useing a special MEMcard, yes i know hte wii isnt a psp, making a universal unbricker would be nice, but its not happening anytime soon

15. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Maintenance disc doesn't do anything to fix full, real bricks. Read bushing's post on his blog about that.
    But anyway, like I said, that's why bushing is looking in to the early boot sequences. If Nintendo has a way to flash the NAND again without loading any software from systemmenu on, it's going to be in the early boot sequences, and it's going to give them that encryption key to sign the NAND.

Sorry if I misled with my statement about reading the NAND. I really just meant that the NAND is always "in use" in some way or another while the Wii is powered on. You can still make good dumps of it while it's "in use"

16. LinkinParkmetre
    OP

France
    this was just a guess, huh