Hacking Uninstall WAD / Erase channel: The difference

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This seems to be one of those topics where the details have gotten lost. I'm struggling to understand why it is a bad idea to use the Data Management area in the following scenario:

Install channel WAD with TP Hack / WAD Installer
Copy channel to SD in Data Management
Uninstall channel with WAD Uninstaller
Copy channel back from SD to Wii.

In this scenario, any rogue file would have been removed. The only anomaly I'm aware of would be the 'ticket', but again definitions for what this is are few and far between. Assuming that the ticket is not a PGP-style Key then all should be fine.

Now, I'm not expecting to be right with the above, but that is all the info I can find and how it fits together. If someone would like to take this opportunity to show off their knowledge of Wii data files then I'll look forward to reading it.

Thanks

ludosan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
idunnoilikends said:
"Tickets" show nintendo that the game is still on your system.
So if you connect to the VC they will see you didn't pay for said game.
Safety precaution
ok so if i don't ever wanna go back on the wii shop channel i can remove the .wad manually?thx

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
ludosan said:
idunnoilikends said:
"Tickets" show nintendo that the game is still on your system.
So if you connect to the VC they will see you didn't pay for said game.
Safety precaution
ok so if i don't ever wanna go back on the wii shop channel i can remove the .wad manually?thx

or the new nintendo channel. yeah.
just be careful with the "instruction manual" on the home menu. there's a button that takes you to the shop channel.

I remove the channels manually , but keep the wad files on my computer. every once in a while I'm planning on mass-uninstalling a bunch of tickets.

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, wouldn't it actually be better to remove the tickets and manage channels in Data Management?

Having games on your system that aren't registered as purchased with your shop channel account shouldn't set off any alarms. A shop channel account is a separate entity. You can erase the account and loose the ability to re-download games you already paid for. If you do this, games you have on your system or which you backed-up will still work.

Not that there would be a need to worry about Nintendo were to find out that I had ROMs. It's entirely legal for me to download most of the VC library as I paid full price for all the ones I would want duplicated at launch, and I still have the carts (mint). Hurray for Europe. The question would come over paying for the VC emulator itself, but that was paid for when I purchased the Wii console.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
So whats the correct way to remove a channel?, is it ok to just use the wad uninstaller on its own, or do u need to do something else, so there is not remains left on the Wii of said channel

Tenmen

Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen this topic and i want to add another "option" to the title: witch is better 'wad unistaller(last version)' or 'Wii memory format'? someone knows?

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A memory format will remove everything - including your Shop Channel account and save games. So if you have downloaded anything you wont be able to get it again after you format the memory unless you pay again. This is the exact thing I was talking about above, about channels you have not being registered with your Shop account.

The WAD Uninstaller seems to undo all changes made by installing the WAD, so that is sufficeint.

However, this is only vaguely related to the topic which is about using Data Management. If it is true that the data manager leaves tickets in tact, and that is the only detriment to its use, then who cares? The tickets can always be removed afterwards in a maintenance sweep by using the WAD Uninstaller.

Is anyone on my wavelength here?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retrospect said:
However, this is only vaguely related to the topic which is about using Data Management. If it is true that the data manager leaves tickets in tact, and that is the only detriment to its use, then who cares? The tickets can always be removed afterwards in a maintenance sweep by using the WAD Uninstaller.

Is anyone on my wavelength here?

The only problem with this is that if you're forgetful and don't keep record of the WADs you installed, you'll lose track of them.

However, if this happens, then you can do what I did and use Title Lister to determine which tickets you need to remove.

As I've said before, as long as a WAD shares the Title ID with another WAD, it will overwrite and/or delete it. So, you don't need to keep the WAD if you know the Title ID you used; you can just edit the Title ID and it'll uninstall.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
retrospect said:
A memory format will remove everything - including your Shop Channel account and save games. So if you have downloaded anything you wont be able to get it again after you format the memory unless you pay again. This is the exact thing I was talking about above, about channels you have not being registered with your Shop account.

Not true.

I formatted a few days ago - didn't unlink my Wii Shop account and am still able to download the games I had bought.

kissapie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I copy my saves to a sd card, then format my memory, then it would be as if I hadn't done anything to my wii? And I would still have the games that I actually bought?

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, just don't unlink your Wii Shop account (It asks you to) you will have to redownload the games though

Also back up your Mii's - Not sure if saving them to the Wiimote and that formatting the Wii also formats the Wiimote.

I lost mine because I didn't save them
frown.gif

PrimeTime 84

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
It is true that the Wii only has support for up to 256 'tickets'?

Fission said:
retrospect said:

Not true.

I formatted a few days ago - didn't unlink my Wii Shop account and am still able to download the games I had bought.
It is because the Shop Channel has not been formatted.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quick lesson...

When you install a WAD, watch the first thing that get's installed. a Ticket. This ticket is the key that allows the Wii to actually display the game on the Wii's System Menu, and contains info, such as the channels unique ID code (with the Homebrew Channel, it's HAXX), size, location on the NAND (like a shortcut on your desktop), and other behind the scene's info.

When you delete a channel from Data Management, it leaves the Ticket, because way back on 3.0 and before, when you connected the the Shop Channel, your Wii would transmit all the tickets it had to the Shop, and show you had those purchased. If the actual data wasn't there, it would let you download from the shop channel. Yes, really! When Ninty released 3.1, they upgraded the Shop channel to link to your account, not look at data on your Wii.

Flash forward now... The Nintendo Channel... it will look at your installed tickets, and suggest games for you.

Tickets are nothing to worry about, but it's always good to get rid of them if your not going to play the game anymore. If your installing 100's of WADs, your going to fill up your NAND quickly with tickets.

If you have been using Data Management to delete your WADs, stop... just use the UnInstall feature of WADManager (get 1.4 for SDHC and HD support too!)

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if I have been using Data Management to uninstall WADs, it is still perfectly safe to re-uninstall them again using the WAD Manager?

And after having used WAD Manager, there will be no remnants of said WAD installed on the Wii at all?

About the SDHC support in 1.4, will that work on a 3.3U v2 system, or do I need to upgrade to 4.0? I'm referring to using one single SDHC card (8GB) for everything - HBC, apps and WADS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night