Translation Unfinished Translation Projects That Could Be Revived!

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, i took a look at Sora...see for yourself.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt8m4551iz7p8kg/Sora text.png?dl=0
Look good....right?? Well, to the experienced eyes, it notice the "random" "ÿ" or xFF in hexadecimal that show that there is a compression going on there.
In fact, the next sentence in the game it's missing the first 2 characters in the hex editor.
Should be a normal LZ compression so it should not be much of a problem.
On the other hand, the game accept half width letters and VWF out of the box
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrsu3j90a1djbt0/Sora Alphabet.png?dl=0
And believe me when i say that it's not so often that you see games doing this.
So no messing with the font needed and no ASM changes to implement a VWF to do.

Last edited by Auryn,

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Auryn I don't seem to be able to access the photos you posted, but yes, I don't underestimate the value of the educated eye! To be a translator you must speak at least two languages, but it feels like hackers have a technical language of their own! I can't do much more than watch in awe when I see people talk about reverse engineering games.

I really appreciate it that you take a chance on people though, like you and DarthNemesis did for me with Kuroshitsuji: Phantom & Ghost, even though I was even more clueless about ROM hacking back then! :shy:

Would you like me to add a note to the first post telling translators interested in Sora to message you?

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Links changed and hopefully people can see them now.

It's not only about the technical language. Sometimes you need to stare at a screen full of numbers and see pattern on them and this is not something for everybody to do (as ability and as patience).

About Sora, no thanks. Like i said on my first post, there are things more important in my life now. Apart that, i sound a folder on my HDD called "Sora Script" and there inside is a file with partially translated names so i believe that it's the one i used for the video but when i try it, it's not working propelly O.o I am confused :(

AZealousIndividual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, nice, stuff has been said here. Sorry, I've been pretty busy this week! ^^;

From what i see at the moment, from what i remember about it, CT should be easy to translate if there is a translator.

Yeah, I haven't run into any real issues with what I've done so far. I think inserting images is the biggest part I haven't figured out yet on the technical side. :/
obviously I'm prepared for more major problems to occur along the way because in my experience they like always do, but like

Also-also, I was an editor on AAI2 under a different name back when I was in high school and had zero idea what I was doing, I'm sure I have a bunch of notes and files I downloaded and stuff on one of my external hard drives somewhere, at least, if it'd be worth looking for that.

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Auryn Maybe it's something to do with the value that tells the game how many bytes are in the name that you mentioned earlier?
I've definitely been there before. When you're working on something, you don't necessarily organise it logically because you can remember what everything is, but if you end up leaving and coming back later, it can be a real nightmare to work out! Don't beat yourself up over it though. Real life is way more important. ^_^

@AZealousIndividual For the standard image types, here's a guide to editing them with CT2. You can use Kiwi.ds to pack the files into .narc's beforehand, which makes the whole process a little bit easier.

I tend to find that Tinke is a little bit more user-friendly to get started with, although it can be a bit finicky, so I normally try the latest release, then 0.8.1, and THEN CT2. It's a bit of trial and error, but it works :rofl2: As said, I'd still be up for helping you with those ones, though I have a lot of my plate rn, so probably not just at the minute.

AZealousIndividual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much all the images are in .ncl palette, .ncg tile, .nsc map, which I couldn't find a whole lot of info about inserting. I'm probably just missing something obvious, I feel like. (like, how do those differ from their r counterparts?)

Raytheon_Thunder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I want bring everyones attention to an issue about Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP.Although this awesome game has gotten an almost complete translation,quite a few untranslated bits in this game yet remain.

I'm currently playing the game.There's quite a few things that are still untranslated though.For example I found out that the newspaper and encyclopedia articles and a lot of dlc titles and a few dlc themselves are still untranslated.I was hoping the translators would fix these and perfect the translation eventually but they seem to have gone into a hiatus quite a while ago.As such these issues still remain to this day.

It's really Sad.

I'm particularly sore about those newspaper articles which always felt pretty important to me as they contributed a lot to the worldbuilding of the game.

This beautiful translation patch is ruined by all these small untranslated remnants.Can anybody translate and fix those???

Last edited by Raytheon_Thunder,

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@AZealousIndividual I tried digging around, but didn’t really find anything conclusive either.

@joesteve1914 Did you have any luck with the ncl/ncg /nsc files in Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love? (And sorry for tagging you, but I figured if you were still stuck on those then you might appreciate watching to see if there are any updates here!)

The other thing that might be worth keeping an eye on is this.

@Keke094 There’s a snippet from the intro translated here, but it doesn’t look like anyone ever got round to starting a fully fledged translation project.

Last edited by PhantomGhost,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I want bring everyones attention to an issue about Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP.Although this awesome game has gotten an almost complete translation,quite a few untranslated bits in this game yet remain.

I'm currently playing the game.There's quite a few things that are still untranslated though.For example I found out that the newspaper and encyclopedia articles and a lot of dlc titles and a few dlc themselves are still untranslated.I was hoping the translators would fix these and perfect the translation eventually but they seem to have gone into a hiatus quite a while ago.As such these issues still remain to this day.

It's really Sad.

I'm particularly sore about those newspaper articles which always felt pretty important to me as they contributed a lot to the worldbuilding of the game.

This beautiful translation patch is ruined by all these small untranslated remnants.Can anybody translate and fix those???

this is DS section, can you next time post in the correct section so it gets the correct attention.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
@PhantomGhost : yes, it is but the problems it's that if i make the number smaller, it doesn't cut the name and the next name is ok but if i make it bigger, it write that name ok but all next names are missing O.o
Yes, it's a mess: read my other thread to see how much of a mess :P
I had an interview today about job....they want to tell me something next week.
I actually never used that method to edit images :P
The NSCR is usually just a file that say to put a tile after the other, i almost never saw anything different so it can usually let alone or changed to put a tile after the other :)
I load the NCGR that has the tiles on them, load the NCLR that has the palette and mark the data that compose the palette. If you know how palette files structure, you know where it starts but usually it's a xE0 and you need to copy x200 bytes from there for a 8bpp. "Data > palette conversion" and you got your palette you can import on the NCGR (see the Item BG on Brave Story below):)

@AZealousIndividual: yes you are right about the images and the missing "R" but they have more data in them than the ones with the "R".
Don't worry about those images, i can not tell you now out of my head how to edit them but I remember I can edit them by cutting away part of the file.
Even then, tools like Tinke will not work because it search for Magic Words at the beginning of the file and the header but those files are not standard so they not work.
The idea is to just have the "raw" data to open on CT2 and export it for editing. Later reinsert it and add the cut part again.
It's my speciality to mess with files :P
My best resource about NDS image types, was Lowlines that made the ConsoleTool (he had a byte by byte description) but it seems his site is gone :(
There is a GBA Tech site that has that information but it's less clear to me as what Lowlines had.

@Keke094 Sorry....i know i am an A**hole :)

Title Brave Story.png
test__32366.png
Item Brave Story.png Font Brave Story.png BookText Brave Story.png

Font in NFTR format with Latin Letters present
Accepts HFW out of the box
Images standard Nitro Format
Text uncompressed in SHIFT-JIS
What is special about it, it seems that it's programmed in LUA but that means it should be easy to decompile / edited.
Need only somebody that can Japanese and somebody that can figure out more about the pointers :)

@Raytheon_Thunder Well, yes, this is the wrong section for that. Apart that, if those newspapers are in the normal game but not translated, it means the author of the patch found those not as important as you did or lacked the knowledge / time to find and edit those images. That part could be addressed but there are more people with more experience than us for PSP. Anyway, maybe post an image of those newspaper?
As for the DLC, well, I didn't touch my PSP since 6 years (i think) and the PSP was never connected to the Internet because I had custom firmwares and such on it but can you download the DLC of the japanese version just by having the game in the (PSP) US / Europe?? If not, the first step is to find a way to get to the DLC as first step. Apart that, i can imagine that a DLC would have some kind of checksum to assure it integrity when downloaded so that could be on the way of the translation as well. Lastly is the translation work that usually goes on a game. As you see it's more easy to say it as to do it :)

Last edited by Auryn,

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I really hope someone would continue Tales of Hearts DS translation project...

Tales of Hearts DS is very differenct compared to the Vita version and in my opinion much better in term of combat, graphics style, and content...

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NoobCycle I have had a look at posting this game up here before, but decided not include it in this list, for reasons I've quoted below;
With regards to Kajitani-Eizan's patch for Tales Of Hearts, I noted this comment from his blog.

Which does seem to confirm that he will be making no further releases for the game. Out of respect, I think that any projects for this should start from scratch, instead a 'revival' using content from the demo patch, and I didn't find that the partial dump on lost_fencer's thread constituted enough to really be called a 'release' to build upon, hence why this game hasn't been added to the list. I have however sent a message to Kajitani-Eizan to inquire and ask whether there are any surviving tools/documentation from that project which he'd be willing to share.

(I haven't heard anything back so far, in case you were wondering.)

And just a note to everyone in general, please avoid posting translation requests here! We have a dedicated thread for that which you can find over here, that helps to keep both threads nice and neat and makes it easier for potential translators to know where to look to find your requests.

I have added Tales Of Hearts up on there now, thanks for reformatting your post ^_^

Reactions: NoobCycle

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi! I was just checking the update about ToH you mentioned and noticed you added Slitherlink v.06 - there's actually v.07 out there already! :)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2257/
Edit: After checking the file name I noticed only your description is incorrect, the patch you link is the latest one. :)

I have added Tales Of Hearts up on there now, thanks for reformatting your post ^_^
By the way, in case you haven't seen this, LastFencer was doing his own translation and was looking for translators, I'm not sure how busy they are now. This was actually the thread that made me ask about considering putting ToH up here, since there was another project, independent from K-E, working on it. But they haven't logged in for a year now here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tales-of-hearts-translation-project.520707/#post-8815923

Last edited by Fel, , Reason: I realized it was the other OP they were talking about.

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi! I was just checking the update about ToH you mentioned and noticed you added Slitherlink v.06 - there's actually v.07 out there already! :)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2257/
Edit: After checking the file name I noticed only your description is incorrect, the patch you link is the latest one. :)

I don't see ToH in the list yet, did you add it to the OP? By the way, in case you haven't seen this, LastFencer was doing his own translation and was looking for translators, I'm not sure how busy they are now. This was actually the thread that made me ask about considering putting ToH up, since there was another project, independent from K-E, working on it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tales-of-hearts-translation-project.520707/#post-8815923

Yeah, I too read the thread created by LastFencer and has been following it since 2018, but it seem there's no further update since Nov 2018. So i thought he didn't resume the project

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@NoobCycle I have had a look at posting this game up here before, but decided not include it in this list, for reasons I've quoted below;

(I haven't heard anything back so far, in case you were wondering.)

And just a note to everyone in general, please avoid posting translation requests here! We have a dedicated thread for that which you can find over here, that helps to keep both threads nice and neat and makes it easier for potential translators to know where to look to find your requests.

My apologies for the request post, because there are many translation thread that still active and i don't know where i should put my request. :P

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Font in NFTR format with Latin Letters present
Accepts HFW out of the box
Images standard Nitro Format
Text uncompressed in SHIFT-JIS
What is special about it, it seems that it's programmed in LUA but that means it should be easy to decompile / edited.
Need only somebody that can Japanese and somebody that can figure out more about the pointers :)
I've had this on my laptop for years
c1daead8d8.jpg

There is no pointer, just a cmd byte that tells you how long a string is. You can basically read the whole thing with a good lua decompiler probably but if you can't find one, you can enlarge the file as you want as long as you keep everything a multiple of 4 to not mess the arm cpu (if your string is 6 bytes long, add 2 0x00 after it for example.)
That was a while ago and my only main concern was the book which is drawn from right to left and up to down. So that needs a big change and I had other projects to do.

Edit:
Actually, it's not each string that needs alignment, just the whole text block, everytime

48f3d2cc6f.png

As long as you keep the rest intact it should be ok, but again, that book is the only real issue.

Last edited by StorMyu,
Reactions: PhantomGhost

InD_ImaginE

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I think Luminous Arc 3 translation project was also dead but I think the original translator have hacked successfully to insert text?

Original thread:gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hackers-editors-needed-for-luminous-arc-3-translation.425475

(cant post link coz I am a new member)

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@InD_ImaginE There isn't a tool or text dump or partial patch freely available for Luminous Arc 3, hence why it's not up on here. (The reason I've singled out these projects is that the releases can be used as a stepping stone to allow someone who maybe can do translations or ROM hacking but not the other, to get footing on a project and be able to work on it rather than starting from scratch and getting stuck early on.)

I'm also against listing 'PM me for info' projects on here even if the OP is active, just because that's how I've seen so many projects die and tools be lost, although I've nothing against closed translation projects in general, and in fact, most of mine have been like that too.

But, I am more than happy to post 'help wanted' ads on here! Normally it'd be by request of the project owner themselves, just so I know they're happy for it to go up/are still looking for help ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it