XP
Country
United States
yoy9.jpg

English patch:

Download English Patch Rev. 0.80
- MediaFire
- Dropbox

Note: The rom must be Tomodachi Collection v1.1. (There are different versions of rom around. You need to use the one with v1.1. I didn't test the patch with other versions.)
(The rom's MD5 Hash is 7ab6acd97168f6d70e953a9c8057337c.)

Credits:

- Translation/Programming/Graphic editing: jjjewel

- Beta testers: AmuletCross, chocobikies, jinny-jin, MisaChan, xMimii

- Programs used in this project: Console Tool, CrystalTile2, Light Patcher, NDS Editor/kiwi.DS, NFTRedit, Tinke

Game Info:

Type of game: Variety

Age restriction: This game is suitable for gamers of all ages.

Translation Status:

- Most of the important stuff that you need to play the game are translated.

- The translation patch is provided as is. I appreciate your feedback and please point out if you find any mistakes, but I cannot guarantee whether I will release any more patches after this.

What are NOT fully translated:

- Job descriptions. I just blanked them out.

- Mii News. Only about half of them were translated but that should cover all the important news.

- Songs. Some translated text in the lyric might be cut off in the middle but it will show up in full when you select it.

Notes:

- A lot of things in this game won't sound like proper English due to the Japanese language structure and some limitation in hacking. And the game won't automatically change capitalization so there will be words in the middle of a sentence that start with capital letters.

- English is not my native language and I know I probably made a lot of mistakes in the translation. I'm really sorry about that but you'll just have to bear with it. :P

- Some mini-games require that you know Japanese in order to play. (Just make some guesses then. You can win items from other mini-games.)

- I changed Katakana font (as shown in the pic below) for Japanese sound. Use it instead of English alphabets to get your name pronounced the way you want because the game can't pronounce English name. English names will be pronounced letter by letter instead. (Ex. "Kay" is pronounced as K-A-Y. You should use Japanese equivalent sound of "KE E" or "KE I" instead.)

diyq.png

- If you name your character with romanized katakana, it will show up as Japanese katakana in some parts of the game. (Ex. Job diagnosis.)

Use this chart for sounds with ゙ or ゚
(The signs below "Kata" button in the picture above.)

KA KI KU KE KO
add ゙ = GA GI GU GE GO

SA SI SU SE SO
add ゙ = ZA ZI ZU ZE ZO

TA TI TU TE TO
add ゙ = DA DI DU DE DO

HA HI HU HE HO
add ゙ = BA BI BU BE BO
add ゚ = PA PI PU PE PO

Problems:

- The game only works on some specific flashcart and firmware because of its anti-piracy protection. If it freezes when you configure your character (after you name your island), then it doesn't work on your cart and I can't help you with that. You need to upgrade the firmware, etc. to make it work. (As I tested, it didn't work on No$GBA but it worked on DesMuMe. On my R4 card, it didn't work with YSMenu but worked with R4 Woods.)

- I didn't test the Connection Mode where you can connect and transfer characters and items to other DS or Wii. I don't know if it will work or not.

Screenshot:

5ebj.png
twlk.png
m1zn.png
3fpk.png

* Please don't ask me about 3DS version of this game. I don't have 3DS and I'm totally not interested in hacking/translating 3DS games.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The way you handled how to translate the game even though it renders the player name as sound is simple yet efficient. It's far better than an elaborate ASM hack to make it more .. natural that would be way too much time-consuming. It would be an interesting solution to consider if someone ever translates Zelda Navi Trackers, or Kiki Trick.

To elaborate about what you said (hopefully this will spares us more unwanted requests):
3DS ROM encryption wasn't even figured out, neither the physical release format nor the common format used for eShop/DSiWare releases (though DLC data *is* unencrypted). Delving in the files of the ROMs and modifying them or rebuilding the ROM even then is -for now at least- out of reach for the common of the mortals that don't own one of the few dozen leaked debug 3DS units in the world.
tl;dr: Modifying files in 3DS ROMS is impossible as things stand now.

Congratulations on the project release and thanks a lot for the time you spent working on this.

jimmsu66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Note: The rom must be Tomodachi Collection v1.1. (There are different versions of rom around. You need to use the one with v1.1. I didn't test the patch with other versions.)

Is rom 5297 with crc32 60C49745

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is rom 5297 with crc32 60C49745

I don't know its crc32 but the MD5 Hash is 7ab6acd97168f6d70e953a9c8057337c.

The patching program itself will also check for MD5 Hash first. If it doesn't match, the program won't apply the patch.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey, thank you very much for the translation patch. I seem to really like this game, so, thanks for giving me something to do during winter. A heads up, the connectivity mode works here. I transferred the Miis from my European Wii to the DS, and the other way around without any problem. So, thanks a lot!

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thank you very much for the translation patch. I seem to really like this game, so, thanks for giving me something to do during winter. A heads up, the connectivity mode works here. I transferred the Miis from my European Wii to the DS, and the other way around without any problem. So, thanks a lot!

Glad to hear that the transferring from Wii to DS worked fine. :D I couldn't test it so I was a bit worried whether the game would crash. Now it's a relief. XD

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
I thought I'd give this a go after seeing the announcement video for the 3DS versions official localization. It is brilliant fun, now I'm super pumped for the new one! Day 1 purchase I reckon.

Good job on the translation, shame the voices are still in Japanese - but I imagine that would be a MUCH bigger hack.

I've never seriously studied Japanese, how would I get a "CH" sound using this input method?

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never seriously studied Japanese, how would I get a "CH" sound using this input method?

Try the TA TI TU TE TO row.

You can mix "TI" and small YA YU YO row to make Cha Chu Cho sound. (Ex. You select "Ti" first then tap on "small" button and select "YA". You'll get TIya which sounds like Cha.)

You can look at a reference for sounds here;
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/hiragana_chart.html

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Can't really seem to find the right rom:(.Hopefully i can find it but i just cannot find one with the 7ab6acd97168f6d70e953a9c8057337c code thingy.
Hint: Rom No. is:#5297 for ver 1.1, tested and worked.
#3873 is ver 1.0
*To moderators: If this post is against forum rules, please don't hesitate to remove it!*

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Hint: Rom No. is:#5297 for ver 1.1, tested and worked.
#3873 is ver 1.0
*To moderators: If this post is against forum rules, please don't hesitate to remove it!*

Posting scene release numbers is not against the rules here. Just saying ;)

Reactions: HNKii

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you still going to work on it? :)
No plan to do that. What's left isn't much important to play the game and it requires a lot of testing in order to make it appear correctly in the game. (The untranslated scripts are the news which appear randomly and the only way to test the scripts is to keep playing until that exact script randomly shows up. It's a pain. ^_^")

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a full english logo for the game, based on the european logo for Tomodachi Life,
and imported the image to tiles using Tile Layer Pro.
Since I don't know the fonts name, this does not apply to the word "Collection".

Download here: https://copy.com/08yPeopkUtVJ
This replaces the original file in the NDS file's directory "Scn\Map".
Use a tool to replace the file, like NitroExplorer2, or DSlazy for unpacking and repacking the NDS file.

The result will be this:
O9mQjOAHOM8y

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr