Uneek_usb_fs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by obcd, Apr 26, 2011.

Apr 26, 2011

Uneek_usb_fs by obcd at 11:13 PM (1,266 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. obcd
    OP

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Uneek + Di usb disk file system for homebrew programmers.

Release 1.0 on 26 april 2011

http://www.mediafire.com/?bp0i2tysovvs7po

I. The why I wrote this?

Uneek + DI and homebrew have never been good friends with each other.
    One of the reasons for this is that the USB disk containing the emulated nand contents
    is no longer available from within homebrew programs. This means that all homebrew
    programs need to be stored on an sd card. Also, homebrew programs use IOS58 for usb 2.0
    drive speeds. Uneek+di changes the ios to 56 instead of 58 which only has support for usb 1.1
    I however believe that it has potential, even for homebrew programmers.
    Since it emulates the wii internal nand flash disk, it minimises the possibility to brick
    your wii. In my opinion, due to this, it deserves to be taken more seriously.

II. What is it?

Uneek + DI still has a way to access stuff on the usb drive. As it contains the emulated nand,
    you can use the ISFS commands to manipulate files on it. While this could be interesting
    for programs written specially for uneek+di, it would require giant modifications in existing
    homebrew to add code for every file manipulation.

Basically, every file manipulation ends up in a read or write of one or more sectors on the
    harddisk.

My uneek_fs code reroutes this sector reading and writing to the uneek+di ISFS driver.

More information is in the archive readme.txt file.

As always, comments are welcome. This tool is for homebrew developers and people who
    know how to compile stuff only.

2. OverjoY

Member OverjoY GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Great!! I'll check this out in the next few days and report back my findings

3. scooby74029

Member scooby74029 "fake coder"

United States
    yeah i will to i have a project this might come in handy on
    ill let you know

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'd also add that the portability is a big plus. If your wii fails on you, you can just do a minimal hack on a new wii (what is it...just bootmii?), plug in your hard drive and SD card, and you have everything back to where it was.
    And there's also something to be said about standards. There may be different sneek versions and revisions of a couple different system menu's, but still the variance is far less than all these cIOS'es going around. Plus that it's not that much trouble or risk to switch. [​IMG]

So...yeah. I may not be a developer, but I'm glad these sorts of tools come out for 'em. [​IMG]

*hopes Tantric and Dimoc read this thread*

5. obcd
    OP

Belgium
    The biggest problem will be to convince developers to put the extra line of code in their program so that it becomes compatible.

It shouldn't have any side effects when the homebrew is run under "real nand", and it should behave identical when it's run under
    the correct modified uneek+di.
    That version of uneek+di should work identical to the normal rev.153 otherwise.

I will try to build some homebrew that might benefit from it and post a link to it.
    I am just not sure if I am allowed to post this here. Specially the uneek kernel.bin can not be posted I think.

If people will have some compatible dol's, it will already ease the barrier to start using it, and will give me some feedback about it's
    stability.

Even if it just gives ideas to people to code something identical but better...I will have reached my goal for this.

6. OverjoY

Member OverjoY GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    afaik it's oke to share the 'iosmodule.elf' file. People can use that to build UNEEK with the SNEEKInstaller for example by simply replacing the file that's downloaded by the app with your file and XFlak can make an option in ModMii to build UNEEK with your module

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    If this project is successful you will have my full support [​IMG] Good luck!!

8. obcd
    OP

Belgium
    Thanks XFlak, I appreciate your support.