kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an EOF crap topic, but speaking Japanese is much, much easier than reading and writing it. If you're learning Japanese there is a case to be made for (when playing a game) getting audio in Japanese and text in English.

D

Deleted User

kikuchiyo said:
I know this is an EOF crap topic, but speaking Japanese is much, much easier than reading and writing it. If you're learning Japanese there is a case to be made for (when playing a game) getting audio in Japanese and text in English.

hate2.gif
Why do it
frown.gif
I'm upset now, thanks kikuchiyo
hate2.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kikuchiyo said:
Ya know, I've always hated the Undubbing posts, finding it stupid and absolutely pointless. But I actually never thought about this, and I could imagine it could help a little. But they speak so fast, are you really able to potentially keep up with it?

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Gaisuto said:
kikuchiyo said:
Ya know, I've always hated the Undubbing posts, finding it stupid and absolutely pointless. But I actually never thought about this, and I could imagine it could help a little. But they speak so fast, are you really able to potentially keep up with it?

I assume the original post was in relation to Disgaea and/or Final Fantasy IV (those are the only ones in my recent memory) but yeah it does (at least for Disgaea, I have yet to play either version of FFIV).

I actually played the PS2 version of Disgaea when it came out, and at that time I could pick out words I knew (especially when I compared to the English scripts to the Japanese VA'ing - not always 100% close to each other, but they often were if I remember correctly). The English text made it easier to navigate the menus and know what attacks would do - the Japanese allowed me to hear Japanese pick out words I knew and maybe learn a phrase or two.

I'm much better at Japanese now (having lived here for 2 years since Disgaea) and I've been playing Namco x Capcom in complete Japanese (well I was until I picked up Dragon Quest 8, but that's a different story). NxC has been a fun lesson plan - it's been a great way to pick up a lot of Japanese spoken by a lot of different people and I've learned several really useful (and some not-so-useful, but still interesting i.e., chi matsuri, blood festival, or blood bath in English) phrases. The only bad thing is, as you suggest, you can't really go back and pick up stuff that was said once (I mean you could restart a mission or whatever, but that's a PITA for one line). However in the case of NxC nearly all (if not all) of the voice acting also has written dialogue boxes, so so long as I'm paying attention I could still copy down an interesting phrase and then either look it up later or ask someone - but it's much harder to do so when it's a mess of kanji that is not being read out and with no furigana reading (kanji is my weakest area now).

Moreover, I don't think spoken Japanese is that hard to pick up (granted, that might be because I speak Bengali and Japanese and most Indian languages are similar in word order and grammatical structure). But I've known Western people to live here and not study formally at all and get reasonably good at spoken Japanese. Written Japanese is intense though and to be as good as a native (and I most certainly am not), takes a lot of studying (even for Japanese people).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)