Hacking Undoing Wii to Wii U Transfer

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I've been searching the forums for info on this, but can't seem to find any info relevant to my specific situation. I transferred my Wii's data to my Wii U on launch day, and now I kinda want it back, now that I've gotten fairly good at using Homebrew on my original Wii. I know that attempting to restore a vWii NAND dump to a regular Wii is a BIG no-no. But my question is this:

Is there any way to take individual save games and/or WiiWare/VC titles and somehow copy and move them back to the original Wii? I'm particularly interested in getting my save data back for games that can't be copied to SD, like Elebits, Animal Crossing, and SSBB.

I know at bare minimum I need the keys from both consoles and probably a NAND dump of the vWii, which I've already done.

So, does anyone know if this is possible?

GeBeCluck23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually...it's not (necessarily) as hard as you think. I had the same problem. What I did however, was plan ahead, and back up my Wii NAND, transfer data to my Wii U, and then simply restored my original Wii NAND (NOT vWii!!) to my original Wii. Some people aren't aware that pretty much everything on your Wii (downloaded games, saves, ect.) is stored in your NAND. Thus, when you restore your NAND, everything is back!

However...if you don't have a NAND backup to restore to your original Wii, (using Bootmii, by the way) don't panic. It's still possible. If all you want to do is transfer saves, you can use another thing I've used recently, "Savegame Manager." It's a homebrew hack that you should be able to easily find on Wiibrew and/or the Homebrew Browser. Unfortunately however, in order to transfer "nontransferable" saves, you have to install the d2x cIOS to the Wii U. If that makes perfect sense to you, awesome. If I've already lost you, please PLEASE do your research first. I've done it myself, and it's perfectly safe IN THEORY, but if you don't know what you're doing, you can brick your vWii. A good guide I've looked at before is right here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

PLEASE do research first, that's all I ask.
(...Also, I'm not liable for anything that happens, as you know...)

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I figured it would involve something like that. However, after looking at Yet Another Blue Dump Mod and using it to back up the IOS WADS just in case something bad happens, it looks like I might be able to it to dump Titles and save games then restore them to the Wii. If I was going the other direction, I'd have to be wary of fake signing and tickets:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-suggestion-for-all-softmodded-vwiis.369198/

But from what I've read, the original Wii isn't as picky, so as long as I mind the region and make sure the WADS are made properly, I should be fine. The WADS should be made properly, after all they've come from my vWii after originally having come from the original Wii. Just to be safe, I've dumped my original Wii's NAND and keys using DumpMii. I suppose I should also backup the real Wii's IOSes as per the guide you linked, just to be extra safe.

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've had success with the titles at least. I copied the VC/WiiWare titles from the vWii to an SD card, then used Yet Another Blue Dump Mod from the vWii to convert them from content.bin to WADs. Then I used Yet Another WAD Manager Mod on the Wii to install them. I'll have to check with DarkMatterCore to see why YABDM gives an error when trying to restore the savegames, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over