Android Underwhelmed by Android...

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Maybe I am missing something somewhere but recently I acquired an android (ICS) phone, and with everyone telling me how apple and iOS is the devil and there so locked down and I'm an idiot for using an iPhone I thought it good to properly check out the Android OS

While I have been trying to find what is supposed to be so "wow" about the OS it just feels "meh" to me, Am I missing something? I had a more enjoyable time messing with Blackberry OS6 on my Bold 9700

Could any android user fill me in on what I am missing here and whats supposed to blow me away and make me hate my iPhone?

I'm coming at this with an open mind as much as I did trying the Blackberry (Which to me is no where near as bad as people claim)

Reactions: Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

All hail the Eggman Empire!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Excuse, me, just one moment please, no posts yet please, just give me about 5 minutes.

*five minutes pass*

Okay, my popcorn is ready. You may commence.

(On topic, I have neither iOS nor Android, so I can't contribute much except for my limitless and endlessly enjoyable cynicism)

Reactions: calmwaters

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of people love Android because it's so customizable. You can root it and install custom ROMs. You can install an .apk that you got from a third party source, which is pretty convenient when say, buying a Humble Bundle that offers Android content. Most of all though, it comes down to preference. Honestly, iOS and Android aren't worlds apart for the average user, and if you have no interest in custom ROMs and such, Android likely will just feel slightly different than iOS. One of the biggest differences lies in the phone you get. Some people love Android because you can get some pretty beefy Android powered phones, like the Samsung Galaxy S4. Some people like it because they have a phone that has features that only work with Android.

If you just walk in saying "ok Android, wow me", yeah, you probably won't get much out of it. You just have to explore your options, see what you can do, and try to have some fun while experimenting. Just be careful that you don't brick whatever it is you're using to try out Android.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason people prefer Android is that you can customize it anyway you like and install apps from anywhere without jailbreaking. So you're not limited to just what Apple says you can do. This consequently also makes it supremely easy to pirate apps.

Then if your more ambitious and want to root, you can replace the entire version your phone came with with a custom distro more to your liking, a la Linux.

Now if you don't care about any of this, then it doesn't really matter.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ICS is about a year old now, and has been succeeded by Jelly Bean, which is 4.3 for the latest version.

Firstly, android enables you to be able to have a homescreen and a separate app drawer, so that your homescreen has only what you want it to have, and isn't all cluttered or boring, also, you get widgets and stuff.

Secondly, you have the option to change the launcher, which will enable you to further change how your homescreen and app drawer looks through custom icons and whatnot.

Now, the real fun doesn't start until you actually root your device. This lets you pretty much control almost everything your device does, new features and functions with custom roms, get better performance or battery life with a custom kernel, set a custom CPU speed, change how your entire device looks and feels systemwide, and more. To me, rooting isn't all that much different from jailbreaking. Also, you don't have to deal with iTunes, which is a big thing for me, as I had to go through hell and back when I had an iPhone.

In the end though, if you don't really care about doing all of those things, and don't mind dealing with iTunes, I don't think there's really anything wrong with a jailbroken iPhone. In the end, they both make calls, texts, let you check emails, all of the same stuff, Android just gives you more options.

Reactions: JayRo and yuyuyup

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
iOS: Hack your device or you cannot install any program that has not been approved by Apple, developed on an Apple-branded machine (this is literally a requirement to be a dev, you have to have a Mac), or simply rubs them the wrong way (such as competing browser engines*). This is very restrictive to use, let alone dev for.

Android: Zero shits given. Put the APK on your MicroSD or whatever, bam you can install it. Want to develop? Download the free SDK, no licensing agreement, cross-platform, do whatever, they don't care. Put it up on one of the many alternative app stores users can easily install on any device (Amazon App store, SlideMe, etc.). You have multiple stores to submit your app too... or you can choose no store. Put the .APK up on your website and let users install it from there. In addition Android, like most Unix-style systems, has a "interacting portions" or whatever mindset. You can change your UI, skin, device drivers, sound theme, web browser*, whatever. You can even swap the kernel for one with different features if you want, assuming you have some sort of recovery set up (meaning you didn't buy a locked-down device).

* - Apple doesn't allow alternative browsers. Anything you find on iOS that claims to be 'another browser' is in reality either a skinned app that uses Safari's rendering engine in the tabs ("Firefox"), or is a remote/proxy service (like that one that does flash, forgot the name).

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
:| I think some are not seeing what I meant, I know the general difference hence the 1st paragraph, enough people have preached about that part of the OS

I'm more thinking the core experience of the OS not the whole This is locked that aint but that lets you do this. I am looking at it and trying to locate the OS's merits without it being a whole "its better cuz its not lawked down by apple"
even then Android handsets are still locked to some degree by the handset manufacturers needing "rooting" before you can "fully take advantage of all your hardware" while sure apple is more restrictive they both end up locked needing warranty breaking software before its fully open just one is a lesser evil in that respect.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, if you're buying locked hardware you're buying locked hardware. The difference is with Android you don't need to, and even the locked devices have more features and capabilities and less restrictions, though it's like Linux in general, if the pros applied to everybody on the planet people likely wouldn't use whatever else.

If all you're using the unit is is for a mobile web browser and cell phone, it's unlikely you'll see any real differences between any manufacturers, of course barring third-party hardware compatibility (which can be a bit of a hassle).

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
yes, you will need root to install custom roms. but if you want customization on your phone, you can install widgets, or even install launchers without having to root.
launchers are good ways to change your homescreen by having the ability to change themes and having more options to mess around with (as of right now using ADW launcher)
other customizations that can be made are using other keyboards, not just being limited to phone's preset keyboard
these are just a few things that i could think of customization without the need to root. but if you want more like the ability to overclock your phone or even have different experiences on OS, install custom roms, with custom roms you can get pure android experience with cyanogenmod or even have a sort of iOS experience with MIUI if you feel like. there are many things to do with your phone, just search around.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I enjoy Android really less for the look, but more for the freedom it gives me. I don't have to hack my device to install unofficial, they can be installed just fine. I don't have to use iTunes to sync my music, it all goes on my MicroSD card...also MicroSD cards, so I can always upgrade the space in it.

I just feel the others a bit restricting compared to Android.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The main thing about Android is the freedom. You can do whatever you want with it. Yes it does have it's risks, but it's truly an open software. This, combined with some very wicked hardware, make Android superb.

If you aren't a person who loves to customize and just uses the OS as it is, I would prefer Apple. Their system may be locked down deep (unless you jailbreak, even so it still isn't as open as android) but their apps are 99% safe (in terms of security that is) because of such restrictions and their ecosystem is simply splendid. It just ties with each other well.

The major downside for this factor is that Apple products can be heavily overpriced, unless you get them with a carrier contract (in Singapore, the iPhone 5 is quite a lot cheaper with it). Android phones come in a lot of varieties, from dirt cheap to ridiculously expensive. Android phones can have very beefy specs too, depending on your pick.

More importantly,

Maybe I am missing something somewhere but recently I acquired an android (ICS) phone, and with everyone telling me how apple and iOS is the devil and there so locked down and I'm an idiot for using an iPhone I thought it good to properly check out the Android OS

While I have been trying to find what is supposed to be so "wow" about the OS it just feels "meh" to me, Am I missing something? I had a more enjoyable time messing with Blackberry OS6 on my Bold 9700

Could any android user fill me in on what I am missing here and whats supposed to blow me away and make me hate my iPhone?

I'm coming at this with an open mind as much as I did trying the Blackberry (Which to me is no where near as bad as people claim)
Never let others influence your taste.

It is nice to try something new, but go with what you prefer. Each OS has its pros and cons.

For me, I got really busy recently (not as active on the temp as well). All of my files are safely sleeping in the Apple ecosystem and I just don't have time to migrate them. I prefer to stick with my iPhone for work and as my main device. On the other hand, I do have the Note 2 as a spare device and as a badass video player - something which an iPhone (or even an iPad) can never fulfill.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I prefer android in general because I refuse to support Apple. They have terrible business practice and refuse to acknowledge gaming as a valid form of media, and takes the rather deplorable stance of looking at it for purely entertainment. This also includes censoring the app market to no end. They also give a 20% overhead on pretty much everything they sell.

I understand why they do some of these things (stability and security on the device), but censorship and overpricing crosses the line for me.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
:| I think some are not seeing what I meant, I know the general difference hence the 1st paragraph, enough people have preached about that part of the OS

I'm more thinking the core experience of the OS not the whole This is locked that aint but that lets you do this. I am looking at it and trying to locate the OS's merits without it being a whole "its better cuz its not lawked down by apple"
even then Android handsets are still locked to some degree by the handset manufacturers needing "rooting" before you can "fully take advantage of all your hardware" while sure apple is more restrictive they both end up locked needing warranty breaking software before its fully open just one is a lesser evil in that respect.

The core experience of the OS is the fact that it's not locked down and is easily customizable. When people talk about Android being better than iOS, they're referring to the fact that it's open and easily customizable. It has all the features iOS has and more. Don't like the UI? Change the launcher. Don't like the app market? Take your pick from the many out there. Wanna play some old console games? Don't need to "jailbreak" or "root" your device to play them, it's as easy as downloading the apk and installing it with a file browser. Want a media center on the go? XBMC has an official app for Android now. With Android gaining popularity, it's even got most of the same apps/games that iOS has, and if not the same then knock-offs that are just as good.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While I am a huge android guy, I will at least admit that both android and IOS are good. The people who like android generally like it because it is more customizable; you can make app folders, change the loader, put on custom firmware, use widgets (even though most are useless), wi-fi tether for free. Also many android devices have large screens instead of just the relatively small but comfortable Iphone screen. Google apps just run better on Android in general. You do not have to use Itunes which many people including myself hate. You can download a ton of different video players so you don't have to convert videos to put on your Iphone. Some androids have hdmi output which is freakin awesome and works surprisingly well for some things i.e. movies. Google Now (Android's Siri) is pretty good for most things. You can download apps that aren't in the Play Store. You can run install apps by getting the files. Because new Android phones are getting released all the time, the newest ones are generally more powerful than the newest Iphones. Basically android phones are for people who love customization and less restrictions. Sometimes restrictions make things simpler and don't allow you to screw stuff up like on Android and some people will love that. I just love my Android devices.

Sometimes people who really like all the customization stuff are still loyal Iphone users though. Maybe they just like the feel of it more and the simplicity. Sometimes less is more.

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Android is very customizable and google play store doesnt mind for apps that essentially "hack" the phone, like unlockers and launchers. It's just so much more better especally when you learn how to root and install custom Roms. Cyanogenmod and nova launcher FTW!. The main problem with ios I feel is that its only good after jialbreaking. iOS does get all the apps first unfortunately(still hoping for an Android port for Twewy qq)

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1 reason why Android is better than iOS --> NO FREAKING iTUNES!

Seriously, that is the thing I hate most about Apple, iTunes. It's hard to use and very picky about every little thing.

I find iOS fine to use on it's own, however. But I still prefer Android since it's easier to install 3rd party content on (gotta love them Humble Bundles) and I can make it a music player that plays more than 2 formats I don't really like

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I love android because of how open it is. You can find anything on the play store without needing to jailbreak/root your phone to use things such as emulators, you can install any launcher you want, any dialer/SMS/email app, web browser, and so on, and there are many alternatives to choose from.
Sure at first glance you may not notice all these things, but once you get accustomed to having all those features and being able to customize your phone in any way you want with little to no hassle without jailbreaking, you won't want to go back to using an Apple device.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which phone do you actually have?

I use a Nexus 4 running 4.2.2, and what I like is the design of the interface, for a start. The Holo design (overall design in 4.0+) and now the Cards UI that some of the Google Apps are implementing (Google Now, Maps, Navigation, et al) looks beautiful.

Chrome is the default browser on it, but I've installed the Chrome Beta now, and as I use that primarily, then if I click a link, I tell the phone to use that by default. I don't need to open a link, highlight and copy the link, close browser, open alternative browser, paste link, go.

If I want to try another launcher, I'll switch to it for a bit; should I want to, I can simulate the launcher of an iOS or Windows Phone device.

Higher resolution phones are nice too, if you like that sort of thing, for reading or picking out details in pictures. Then there are the virtual buttons, which I really like. Not only can they move to another part of the screen if I rotate, but they can disappear entirely while watching a video, and it does give the front a slick flat design when it's off. Some points (particularly that last one) are more related to hardware, though.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Which phone do you actually have?

I use a Nexus 4 running 4.2.2, and what I like is the design of the interface, for a start. The Holo design (overall design in 4.0+) and now the Cards UI that some of the Google Apps are implementing (Google Now, Maps, Navigation, et al) looks beautiful.

Chrome is the default browser on it, but I've installed the Chrome Beta now, and as I use that primarily, then if I click a link, I tell the phone to use that by default. I don't need to open a link, highlight and copy the link, close browser, open alternative browser, paste link, go.

If I want to try another launcher, I'll switch to it for a bit; should I want to, I can simulate the launcher of an iOS or Windows Phone device.

Higher resolution phones are nice too, if you like that sort of thing, for reading or picking out details in pictures. Then there are the virtual buttons, which I really like. Not only can they move to another part of the screen if I rotate, but they can disappear entirely while watching a video, and it does give the front a slick flat design when it's off. Some points (particularly that last one) are more related to hardware, though.

Huawei Y201 Pro (or U8666E) on 4.0.3, Rooted and Bootloader Unlocked. Though my main phone is a iPhone 4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: