Undertale's Anniversary and Its Impact

0001440173_100.png

Remember your Gbatemp 2015 Game of The Year everyone? It just turned 1 year old today!

Ah Undertale. Easily one of the biggest shocks to grace everyone's gaming pallet of last year. It dared to do some things simply, differently, and exponentially. Undertale just had this magnetic draw to it with everything that it did in writing and character creation that had us all latching on to it when it released.

And who could really blame you for doing so? A game that gave you the option to kill everyone or not a single entity. A game with a Dog Knight that stretched all over the screen and had one of the most memorizing songs I've ever heard in gaming. A game with two brothers that aren't Mario and Luigi but made themselves just as iconic through silly puns and bone-dry humor. (I'm so sorry, how could you not make that joke?)

809583-undertale-windows-screenshot-finding-a-save-point-fills-you.png

Undertale was truly special for a number of reasons, but I think the word that truly describes what made it phenomenal is what I've echoed so many times already in this writing. Simplicity.

Undertale dared to show us that simplicity at its finest can make a game fantastic. Undertale was by no means graphically intensive and it was obviously inspired by so many other games to make it what it turned out to be. But what it turned out to be was a rock-solid story driven experience that played with your emotions, played at your humor, played with your mind and made you question every decision.

809593-undertale-windows-screenshot-you-ll-meet-all-sorts-of-colorful.png

The impact Undertale had last year made a small little indie title a colossal titan in name. Every gaming outlet had it on its GOTY battles or were writing pieces on it. The Undertale fandom took the game and ran with it as far as they could, much to the ire of the rest of the internet. Even within our own community there was a clear divide between the ones that made the game their everything and those that couldn't handle the intensity of the fandom.

Despite what you might think of it, many of us today stand by the greatness of Undertale and what it delivered. You can read our official review here, see our heated Game of The Year discussion here, and find the official steam page for the game here.

Undertale pushed boundaries and became a big name for itself by doing what games are supposed to do better than what newer games were doing around it.

Entertain you.

809576-undertale-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

And that's why we celebrate its release a whole year later, and celebrate the power of the indie community. Because in the end, we all just want experiences we can enjoy. And boy do we enjoy Undertale.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It took a lot of concepts from other games, and combined them them with a nicely written story, with memorable characters that people could easily identify with. The gameplay is a little lacking, though. The best part about Undertale is easily the soundtrack. You can argue whether the game was good or not as much as you want, but the soundtrack is just so darn catchy.

D

Deleted User

I enjoyed it. Especially the multiple playthroughs, very well done.

The creators have pulled off a few tricks that other developers fail to do, or don't even try at all. Most notably the multiple playthroughs with (very) different character interactions, yet staying consistant with the theme of the game.

But I feel it gets too much praise by the media for the wrong reasons. The things it does great are barely mentioned if at all. It's as if (most) game journalists don't know what they are talking about. But that's an entirely different discission isn't it? And a lengthy one at that.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was an pretty okay game. The thing that made it fun for me was the soundtrack and the disussion with my friends. We talked about it and enjoyed it together. Its nice for a singel full runthrough, but gets stale after you did everything there is to do. It is a really good indie game, and if you didn't play it yet, you defenitly should. Its an experience that is best played alone, and then after you played through it, you should talk about it with your friends.

Reactions: Deleted User

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played it yet. waiting for the HD remake.

joking, but I'll get around to it eventually. The gospel of undertales is weird. My hipster morals don't like being told the game is going to change my life, and that the game heralds in a new age of video gaming. Especially when my response is most likely going to be "oh, that's clever" or "oh, is that the thing?". Turns me off from playing it.

Last edited by osaka35,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
never played any of these two, however, undertale its based on the concept around earthbound, since Megalovania its a Song that was used on the Earthbound Earthbound Halloween Hack also the arth its based heavily on the earthbound concepts.

http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/MEGALOVANIA
MeGaLoVaNia is actually Toby's signature song. It has appeared in every work he has done/cooperated with to date (he was the one that made the halloween hack, and it appeared in Homestuck for which he did a lot of music).

But yes, Undertale is pretty good. It was one of the few games that tried to deliver a message and did it successfully without making it feel forced.

rt141

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, it wasn't original in -all- of its aspects. But it had a good execution in many things.
I found that playing it for the first time without spoiling it yourself is a blast. I consider it a very good game just because of how much fun I had with it, something many other super modern/realistic/advanced/complex games didn't manage.

Last edited by rt141,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment