GBAtemp Exclusive Undertale's Anniversary and Its Impact

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Sep 15, 2016.

?

Do you still enjoy Undertale, or have you changed your mind since release?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I never cared about it in the first place

54 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    0001440173_100.png
    Remember your Gbatemp 2015 Game of The Year everyone? It just turned 1 year old today!

Ah Undertale. Easily one of the biggest shocks to grace everyone's gaming pallet of last year. It dared to do some things simply, differently, and exponentially. Undertale just had this magnetic draw to it with everything that it did in writing and character creation that had us all latching on to it when it released.

And who could really blame you for doing so? A game that gave you the option to kill everyone or not a single entity. A game with a Dog Knight that stretched all over the screen and had one of the most memorizing songs I've ever heard in gaming. A game with two brothers that aren't Mario and Luigi but made themselves just as iconic through silly puns and bone-dry humor. (I'm so sorry, how could you not make that joke?)

809583-undertale-windows-screenshot-finding-a-save-point-fills-you.png

Undertale was truly special for a number of reasons, but I think the word that truly describes what made it phenomenal is what I've echoed so many times already in this writing. Simplicity.

Undertale dared to show us that simplicity at its finest can make a game fantastic. Undertale was by no means graphically intensive and it was obviously inspired by so many other games to make it what it turned out to be. But what it turned out to be was a rock-solid story driven experience that played with your emotions, played at your humor, played with your mind and made you question every decision.

809593-undertale-windows-screenshot-you-ll-meet-all-sorts-of-colorful.png

The impact Undertale had last year made a small little indie title a colossal titan in name. Every gaming outlet had it on its GOTY battles or were writing pieces on it. The Undertale fandom took the game and ran with it as far as they could, much to the ire of the rest of the internet. Even within our own community there was a clear divide between the ones that made the game their everything and those that couldn't handle the intensity of the fandom.

Despite what you might think of it, many of us today stand by the greatness of Undertale and what it delivered. You can read our official review here, see our heated Game of The Year discussion here, and find the official steam page for the game here.

Undertale pushed boundaries and became a big name for itself by doing what games are supposed to do better than what newer games were doing around it.

Entertain you.

809576-undertale-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

And that's why we celebrate its release a whole year later, and celebrate the power of the indie community. Because in the end, we all just want experiences we can enjoy. And boy do we enjoy Undertale.

2. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I never cared about it in the first place

3. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It's just an EarthBound clone.

Intronaut, gnmmarechal, phalk and 9 others like this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It took a lot of concepts from other games, and combined them them with a nicely written story, with memorable characters that people could easily identify with. The gameplay is a little lacking, though. The best part about Undertale is easily the soundtrack. You can argue whether the game was good or not as much as you want, but the soundtrack is just so darn catchy.

5. Stingart

Stingart GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    I enjoyed it. Especially the multiple playthroughs, very well done.

The creators have pulled off a few tricks that other developers fail to do, or don't even try at all. Most notably the multiple playthroughs with (very) different character interactions, yet staying consistant with the theme of the game.

But I feel it gets too much praise by the media for the wrong reasons. The things it does great are barely mentioned if at all. It's as if (most) game journalists don't know what they are talking about. But that's an entirely different discission isn't it? And a lengthy one at that.

gnmmarechal, JoshuaDoes and Hoppy like this.
  6. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I played both games and I don't see the similarity. Both are RPGs and that's it.

DarthDub, Yepi69 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    never played any of these two, however, undertale its based on the concept around earthbound, since Megalovania its a Song that was used on the Earthbound Earthbound Halloween Hack also the arth its based heavily on the earthbound concepts.

http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/MEGALOVANIA

gnmmarechal, Hero-Link and VinsCool like this.
  8. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    i forgot this game existed.

9. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    It was an pretty okay game. The thing that made it fun for me was the soundtrack and the disussion with my friends. We talked about it and enjoyed it together. Its nice for a singel full runthrough, but gets stale after you did everything there is to do. It is a really good indie game, and if you didn't play it yet, you defenitly should. Its an experience that is best played alone, and then after you played through it, you should talk about it with your friends.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  10. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Super-good game, had a blast playing it. I'm always hoping that one of these days he's gonna release an update which ties up loose ends (Gaster 'n' stuff) by adding new content.

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I never really cared that much, but let's suppose...

"Yes, I still enjoy it"
    "No, I haven't changed my mind"
    "How should I vote? Yes? No?... tricky poll"

raulpica likes this.
  12. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Now we need Mother 4!

13. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Haven't played it yet. waiting for the HD remake.

joking, but I'll get around to it eventually. The gospel of undertales is weird. My hipster morals don't like being told the game is going to change my life, and that the game heralds in a new age of video gaming. Especially when my response is most likely going to be "oh, that's clever" or "oh, is that the thing?". Turns me off from playing it.

Last edited by osaka35, Sep 15, 2016
  14. Empu1

Empu1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2010
    R'lyeh
    How can that be? As far as I know, EarthBound doesn't try to make you feel bad for defeating your enemies :P

hoksyjp, DarthDub and Tomato Hentai like this.
  15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's a great game, but my main problem with it is that it's now impossible to use the word "determination" without people spouting undertale memes at you.

16. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    It gave birth to some of the most cringy fanart of any franchise.

The game itself is OK, not a game for me.

FrozenDragon150, VinLark and Empu1 like this.
  17. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    MeGaLoVaNia is actually Toby's signature song. It has appeared in every work he has done/cooperated with to date (he was the one that made the halloween hack, and it appeared in Homestuck for which he did a lot of music).

But yes, Undertale is pretty good. It was one of the few games that tried to deliver a message and did it successfully without making it feel forced.

DarthDub and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  18. rt141

rt141 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2011
    United States
    In all honesty, it wasn't original in -all- of its aspects. But it had a good execution in many things.
    I found that playing it for the first time without spoiling it yourself is a blast. I consider it a very good game just because of how much fun I had with it, something many other super modern/realistic/advanced/complex games didn't manage.

Last edited by rt141, Sep 15, 2016
  19. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Ah, this is so amazing! It really is awesome!

20. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Ness is Sans.