Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i watched the fmvs and the game looked fine, it has been working for a long time but like i said jap only.

Weird, I wonder why the Japanese version works and the EU/NA versions don't, internally, they are pretty much the same ROM-wise. Maybe the header is messing it up, I'm surprised Nintendo's emulator can run it as well as it does. That game is notorious for being hard to emulate.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Weird, I wonder why the Japanese version works and the EU/NA versions don't, internally, they are pretty much the same ROM-wise. Maybe the header is messing it up, I'm surprised Nintendo's emulator can run it as well as it does. That game is notorious for being hard to emulate.
Yes Biohazard 2 works exceptionally well.
Depth works well, FMVs work (although in a 1/4 size of the full screen, but they work without any glitches or sound hiccups), there are no glitches of any kind inside the game.

The only issue I have with Biohazard 2 is that whenever I try to go to the Virtual Console menu and go back to the game, I get this obnoxious slowdown, really significant, and it seems like it's only ingame since the Inventory menu in-game has it's proper speed.
It's only that small issue, and I bet it's gotta be with something like a refresh or something missing that's causing it.
So, you have to go through the whole game without exiting, since if you go back, you get the automatic Suspended point and afterwards you get the slowdown.

I'm not sure if this happens to others, but at least it does for me.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depth works well, FMVs work (although in a 1/4 size of the full screen, but they work without any glitches or sound hiccups), there are no glitches of any kind inside the game.

The only issue I have with Biohazard 2 is that whenever I try to go to the Virtual Console menu and go back to the game, I get this obnoxious slowdown, really significant, and it seems like it's only ingame since the Inventory menu in-game has it's proper speed.
It's only that small issue, and I bet it's gotta be with something like a refresh or something missing that's causing it.
So, you have to go through the whole game without exiting, since if you go back, you get the automatic Suspended point and afterwards you get the slowdown.

I'm not sure if this happens to others, but at least it does for me.

Yeah, N64 emulation on the Wii U is a mixed bag, I'm afraid it will be that way permanently unless something miraculous happens. Angel Studios and Factor 5 did something that should've been impossible for the game, 1.3 GB into 512 Megabits, a lot of custom microcode and MPEG1 video codecs, etc; it's no wonder it struggles on the Wii U.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, N64 emulation on the Wii U is a mixed bag, I'm afraid it will be that way permanently unless something miraculous happens. Angel Studios and Factor 5 did something that should've been impossible for the game, 1.3 GB into 512 Megabits, a lot of custom microcode and MPEG1 video codecs, etc; it's no wonder it struggles on the Wii U.
But it's not the game which struggles, because it runs PERFECT.
Everything works, something I haven't seen in any other emulator so far, the transitions between fixed cameras is fluent af, which Project64 and even Mupen64 struggle with, I can notice the background loading first, then a split second after the 3D models pop up, in the VC it doesn't do that.

I hope Nintendo eventually posts a RE2 US/PAL INI, and hopefully with the slowdown fix too, because I am sure that it has to do with a simple configuration command in the INI and that should be it.

AlanLC

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Has anyone tested the difference between 1280 x 720 and 960 x 720?

I think 960 x 720 is no difference in the quality of the image, but maybe it performs better

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it's not the game which struggles, because it runs PERFECT.
Everything works, something I haven't seen in any other emulator so far, the transitions between fixed cameras is fluent af, which Project64 and even Mupen64 struggle with, I can notice the background loading first, then a split second after the 3D models pop up, in the VC it doesn't do that.

I hope Nintendo eventually posts a RE2 US/PAL INI, and hopefully with the slowdown fix too, because I am sure that it has to do with a simple configuration command in the INI and that should be it.

Wish some games had proper sound emulation, certain Rare games (and injections) sound raspy as hell, but other games don't, which is weird, and yes I have tested and isolated this in MP3 files :P I haven't used N64 emulation on the Wii U in a long time to be honest.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the videos are 320x240 which would explain why it shows in only 1/4 of the screen area. Did you run it with bForce720p?
Try again with CanvasWidth = 320, they might show properly with the render being 240p.

Last edited by Pachee,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the videos are 320x240 which would explain why it shows in only 1/4 of the screen area. Did you run it with bForce720p?
Try again with CanvasWidth = 320, they might show properly with the render being 240p.

The game constantly switches resolution when using the expansion pack, when there's only one enemy it uses 640 x 480 but when there are a lot, it dynamically changes to 320 x 240, as far as I know.

Reactions: Pachee

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game constantly switches resolution when using the expansion pack, when there's only one enemy it uses 640 x 480 but when there are a lot, it dynamically changes to 320 x 240, as far as I know.
That explains things now. He can try RamSize = 0x400000 to force 4MB.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wait so what options should I try then in the config ini?
Also would the 4MB do something about the slowdown when going back to ingame after the VC Menu?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so what options should I try then in the config ini?
Also would the 4MB do something about the slowdown when going back to ingame after the VC Menu?

RamSize = 0x400000

Would be the one to try, RE2 doesn't require the expansion pack, but benefits greatly, I don't know if the VC emulator supports it, but give it a whirl

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RamSize = 0x400000

Would be the one to try, RE2 doesn't require the expansion pack, but benefits greatly, I don't know if the VC emulator supports it, but give it a whirl
So would it be

bForce720P = 1
CanvasWidth =320
CanvasHeight = 240
ClipTop = 22
ClipBottom = 22
ClipLeft = 22
ClipRight = 32
ForceRectFilterPoint = 1
RamSize = 0x400000

@Pachee?
Also, there's still no option to stretch the image to 16:9 through the ini?
Also, which vessel.rpx would I need for this?

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would it be

bForce720P = 1
CanvasWidth =320
CanvasHeight = 240
ClipTop = 22
ClipBottom = 22
ClipLeft = 22
ClipRight = 32
ForceRectFilterPoint = 1
RamSize = 0x400000

@Pachee?
Also, there's still no option to stretch the image to 16:9 through the ini?
Also, which vessel.rpx would I need for this?
RamSize goes inside [RomOptions], try to disable 720p for now, set 0.
There is no way i know to stretch the image.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RamSize goes inside [RomOptions], try to disable 720p for now, set 0.
There is no way i know to stretch the image.
Well I did try it by modifying the Canvas sizes, but no luck there.
The FMV s still look reduced in size.
Tried with 320x240 and 720x480.
RamSize only locks up the game, forcing me pull the plug on the console, besides, the game by itself already recognizes the Expansion pack on first boot.

I haven't tried with bForce720p yet, but I also tried to modify a setting called FlushMemEachTask on the game-specific ini from 0 to 1 to see if it helped with the slowdowns, but no luck, maybe changing it to something else? Who knows.

If someone wants to help test some of these changes on the Biohazard 2 inject, please do so!
Any help is well received.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I did try it by modifying the Canvas sizes, but no luck there.
The FMV s still look reduced in size.
Tried with 320x240 and 720x480.
RamSize only locks up the game, forcing me pull the plug on the console, besides, the game by itself already recognizes the Expansion pack on first boot.

I haven't tried with bForce720p yet, but I also tried to modify a setting called FlushMemEachTask on the game-specific ini from 0 to 1 to see if it helped with the slowdowns, but no luck, maybe changing it to something else? Who knows.

If someone wants to help test some of these changes on the Biohazard 2 inject, please do so!
Any help is well received.

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of, Nintendo's emulators must be really bad then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM