[Unconfirmed] ARM11 Kernel Vulnerability under 10.0.0-X

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this actually becomes a kernel exploit it better fucking be for 10.1 too or I'll cut my fucking dick off FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I UPDATED LIKE 2 DAYS AGO!!!!
Sadly it will not. Nintendo patched the vulnerability. One will have to be found in 10.1 for it to happen.

Reactions: Margen67

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sadly it will not. Nintendo patched the vulnerability. One will have to be found in 10.1 for it to happen.
And here I thought Nintendo wouldn't patch vulns unless they were publicly revealed... *sigh*
At least I still have my o3DS on 9.5, but not the same as n3DS.

BMO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People getting jumpy and excited before anything actually happens as usual on here...

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Smea is definitely a blessing and curse. That doof said to update because it didn't change anything. Now I am at 10.1 because I updated 3 days ago like a dummy. I am super upset right now.

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
The larger you make your letters, the more people will consider you a noob. But perhaps the more I enlarge the text, the better chance MassExplosion213 has of seeing this thread.
found you on a Super Kool Youthful Portable Entertainment website..

machinamentum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[snip]
Usually 3dbrew writers don't provide actual unknown vulnerabilities, so I'm still wondering the following description is correct.

Yellows8 doesn't mention about the possibility of the case that s32_processorid is negative. It can result in kernel memory corruption, and eventually kernel code execution.

So, I wrote this simple PoC by modifying an example included in ctrulib.
[snip]
svcCreateThread actually returned 0 and the created thread didn't seem to work. So, my experiment is successful, probably. :P

Anyway, notice the following things.
  • It has so many limitations and is not so easy to exploit.
  • It's just ARM11 kernel vulnerability, not ARM9.
I assume the reason negative values aren't specified by yellows8 is because negative values don't need to be ranged checked since they're not used to index the MMU-table and a few negative values have semantic meaning to the kernel. From svc.h:
Value -1 means all CPUs and -2 read from the Exheader.
I am highly doubtful that any other negative values will overwrite kernel memory. Of course, you could always dump the vulnerable kernel and disassemble the thread scheduler to verify if yellows8 left details out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat