UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss (NGP Gameplay)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The touch screen controls look very innovative, but also appear not that comfortable...
tongue.gif

Wait... You mean Sony E3 is over!?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
It looks like they are trying just a little too much new stuff with this. It seems like they are basically using every new function on the NGP that they can. Honestly, it may really destroy the game for some people.

Hopefully it looks really nice though. Some of those scenes looked excellent, others looked like they still needed more than a little work.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Nathan Drake said:
It looks like they are trying just a little too much new stuff with this. It seems like they are basically using every new function on the NGP that they can. Honestly, it may really destroy the game for some people.

Hopefully it looks really nice though. Some of those scenes looked excellent, others looked like they still needed more than a little work.
I'm extremely worried about this.

Devs always try out new things and tend to not really bother about the old.

In the end the game is awesome but the control methods and whatever are plain difficult.

Hopefully that won't happen.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nathan Drake said:

Agreed, I don't think cramming every NGP feature into games that don't need them is really... right. I mean, it doesn't even seem like Uncharted needs any touch-screen interaction but they're just randomly adding the option in anyway.

Nevertheless, the features especially touch-screen capabilities and gyro opens up a lot of doors for the NGP. Definitely looking forward to what's in store.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Raiser said:
Nathan Drake said:

Agreed, I don't think cramming every NGP feature into games that don't need them is really... right. I mean, it doesn't even seem like Uncharted needs any touch-screen interaction but they're just randomly adding the option in anyway.

Nevertheless, the features especially touch-screen capabilities and gyro opens up a lot of doors for the NGP. Definitely looking forward to what's in store.
Bold - I like. Touch controls will really make the NGP shine. Especially capacitive. I have no idea about the touch rear though.

Italic - I doubt. So far all the devices I've used with gyro (iPhone, iPad, 3DS and some others) have horrible gyroscopic controls and interfaces. Hopefully that will change.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

They're trying to push out a title that gives you all the ins and outs of the system. It's a smart move to launch (or release something early in the systems lifetime) a game that shows off all the aspects of the system. The touchscreen, back touchpad, awesome graphics, all the buttons, stuff like that.

Personally, I feel like gimmicky controls will start ruining most games, but hopefully this will get released, people won't like the controls, and they'll stick to a more standard set. Innovate in gameplay, not controls. That's what I always thought.

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some people who played the game said that the game plays exactly like other Uncharted games if you don't use any of the new things. So I wouldn't be too worried about the controls.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Haha, that's good.
smile.gif

Now apart from controls... I'm extremely interested in the NGP's design.

Since it has a touch rear...

How is a crystal case going to be made for this monster!?
unsure.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nathan Drake said:

I agree. Usually when THEY test it out and review it, it runs all cool and smooth.
Once it hits the market, we will know the truth.

The rear touchscreen is really too much. I dont see myself using it too much, unless I HAVE TO.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Why does everybody call anything new 'gimmicky'? Within a decade, features like: gyro controls, dual analog sticks and touch-screens will come as standard on all portables. Then whatever comes after that will be the next new gimmick to mock and laugh at, and then once again, they will become standard. The cycle will just keep repeating.

What's wrong with innovation?

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice, even though I think Uncharted 1 is one of the most overrated games I´ve ever played, Uncharted 2 was simply amazing in every way. I think it is one of the best sequels in gaming and overall well made and if this can maintain the quality of Uncharted 2 I think this is most definitely a killer app!

As far as I can see most of these motion-controls seem to be an option. You can move you finger to climb the ladder but you also can push up on the analog-stick and I don`t see what is wrong with that. You please everyone and that is exactly what I plead for in ResiM: Give us the option to use analog- or TS-controls!

I`m kind of tired how people tend to call all motion-controls gimmicky and useless and how developers are trying to abandon these to capture the "hardcore" (
rolleyes.gif
), even though there are instincts where they come in handy or are fun to use! I know this is subjective but that`s why I want an option!!!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I just hope the analogs are nice to hold and also sensitive.

The PSP ones were not really sensitive (that single nub).
The PS3 ones I always didn't have a good grip on the analog sticks... (but really sensitive)

And the touch rear IMO is a waste of production costs = increased consumer costs = waste money.
Especially it being capacitive.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Feels Good Man said:
Can't wait to get an NGP to keep my 3DS company.

I'm worried about the price and battery life though.
Bold - I would expect it to hover around US$349 on average (average meaning non-3G and 3G version prices combined)

Italic - online states that the NGP is rumored to have 5 - 8 hours of battery.

edit: SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!!!
frown.gif

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luke_c said:
Why does everybody call anything new 'gimmicky'? Within a decade, features like: gyro controls, dual analog sticks and touch-screens will come as standard on all portables. Then whatever comes after that will be the next new gimmick to mock and laugh at, and then once again, they will become standard. The cycle will just keep repeating.

It's only gimmicky when they purposefully throw random crap at you just to use these new controls, which are "cool" and "fresh". The way the video made it seem, they're doing it right.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
luke_c said:

It's only gimmicky when they purposefully throw random crap at you just to use these new controls, which are "cool" and "fresh". The way the video made it seem, they're doing it right.
What's wrong with new? People whine for new consoles and say how they can't wait for the next big console or portable, and when it does come they moan and whine about how 'gimmicky' it is, they're giving you new features for christ's sake. You say you want more, and when you get it, it's still not enough.

Put it this way, if we Humans never did, or tried anything new, where would we be now?
Somewhere around the stone ages.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1