highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

Let's say I have a Wii that is totally bricked and doesn't support BootMii as BOOT2 or BootMii wasn't installed at all. Let's also assume that there was no backup made of the NAND at all.

Would there be a way to fix the Wii with a solderless ModChip by dumping a Nand backup with it and then getting the keys out of it and using a nand rebuilder (forgot the name.. ohnes something) and putting the new NAND back inside?

If there is, then which ModChip would you recommend?

(This is not a real situation, I just want to know if a solderless chip can fix a dead Wii. I might start experimenting with my not used and useless Wii)

Thanks

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How does BootMii get the keys then if it only does a Nand backup?

Also as I said this is not something that happened just something I had on mind.

So if I have a previous Nand backup I guess a solderless Modchip can save the Wii?

Edit: Deadly I want to know then how do you deal with people having totally bricked Wii's and have no NAND backup? How do you fix it?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the wii is capable of having bootmii as boot2 you can extract the keys with it. With those keys and ohneswanzenegger, you can rebuild the nand contents and flash those on the nand.

If the wii is uncapable of having bootmii as boot2, and there is no nand backup, than even Deadly can't fix them.

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the wii is capable of having bootmii as boot2 you can extract the keys with it. With those keys and ohneswanzenegger, you can rebuild the nand contents and flash those on the nand.

If the wii is uncapable of having bootmii as boot2, and there is no nand backup, than even Deadly can't fix them.
Thank you for your answer.

This brings up another question: How would you install bootmii @ boot2 on a completly dead Wii?

Solderless Modchip capable of doing that? If so which one?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can't.
bootmii @ boot2 requires a boot1 containing the strcmp bug. Due to that, it's possible to install a homebrew boot2 with a fake hash.
Ninty fixed the bug, and all wii's after that date can't have bootmii @ boot2 anymore. It's hash will fail and the wii won't run the code.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
If there was a wii that did have a vulnerable boot1 but bootmii was not installed to boot2 and the wii became fully bricked then what I do is remove the nand chip and inject bootmii into boot2, solder the nand back on, put in my sd card, and turn on the wii. Profit!!

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If there was a wii that did have a vulnerable boot1 but bootmii was not installed to boot2 and the wii became fully bricked then what I do is remove the nand chip and inject bootmii into boot2, solder the nand back on, put in my sd card, and turn on the wii. Profit!!
Can this be done with a solderless Modchip? (injecting bootmii into boot2 on a vulnerable boot1)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
What solderless modchip are you talking about? When most people talk about solderless modchip they are referring to dvd drive modchips that let you play burned games.

There are some solderless nand clip type things, but you also have to buy an infectus or progskeet also and they are not to reliable either.

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually talking about any that would work. I don't know the types of modchips, that is why I was asking you.

Which one would you recommend?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, a dvd drive chip that let you play burned games is not going to help you reprogram a nand chip. The cheapest options are the infectus, which is now obsolete, and the progskeet, which I have not had a chance to use yet.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I don't own one. I wish I did. But progskeet seems like it can do most of what the expensive programmers can do. But I'm only saying that from what I've read and without any experience with either of those.

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. I don't own one. I wish I did. But progskeet seems like it can do most of what the expensive programmers can do. But I'm only saying that from what I've read and without any experience with either of those.
In one of your videos I saw you are using some socket to swap NANDs, how do you do that? Also I think you are using Infectus, right?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Even I wasn't aware that you couldn't fix a Wii with no NAND backup that doesn't have a vulnerable boot1, Foez.
Umm, you can't. You thought correctly. What did I say that made you think differently? Or, what was it that you read wrong?

Well, you can if you have the keys. But chances are if you have the keys then you also have a nand backup.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Even I wasn't aware that you couldn't fix a Wii with no NAND backup that doesn't have a vulnerable boot1, Foez.
Umm, you can't. You thought correctly. What did I say that made you think differently? Or, what was it that you read wrong?

Well, you can if you have the keys. But chances are if you have the keys then you also have a nand backup.

That's what I was saying. I hadn't known it wasn't possible until I read your post that it wasn't possible.

BootMii ought to just automatically start a dump the first time it's run, and have it run once immediately after it's installed. Save everyone a bunch of headache :P

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it gives the user less control, but the user also now doesn't have control of BootMii@IOS getting installed when the HackMii installer is launched. They can uninstall it after the fact, but initially it is something that they now have no control over.

Correct me if I am wrong - the only bad thing to come from having BootMii auto-dump the NAND when it's run for the first time (okay, maybe forcing BootMii to run after it's installed is a bad idea) is a 10 or 15 minute wait while it dumps the NAND. Even if your power is cut, nothing is being written, so there's no risk of bricking from that, right? In the end, as long as the SD card is capacious enough to hold the dump, the user is left with something that could potentially save them from having a $145 paperweight if they do something dangerous because they're unaware of the consequences. I feel like this could be of particular use to the people following the YouTube guides, though I am sure half of those redistribute an old version of the HackMii installer anyway, despite being against TT's rules.

Also, note that I'm not asking or suggesting that this be added. My initial statement that it "ought to" was more of just a joke than anything serious.

highsteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@DeadlyFoez: In one of your videos I saw you are using some socket to swap NANDs, how do you do that? Also I think you are using Infectus, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.