Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is unbrickable. The best protection you can get, however, is BootMii/boot2. However, Nntendo can overwrite it if you run a system update.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
best way to create an unbrickable wii is to not mod it in the first place
tongue.gif
though you could still get bricked by nintendos buggy boot2 update lol

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
The most "unbrickable" you'll get is by using SNEEK (needs BootMii) and never even touch the real NAND (but that's maybe not what you want)

This would be true if Sneek was able to boot ISO games off hdd using a usb loader. Sure Sneek+DI is worthwhile but I dont want to have to convert 300 games on a wbfs partition to work with Sneek. Has there been much progress with getting USB Loader GX working properly with sneek yet? Just curious. I see they are a step closer to making gamecube games work off usb as well. Fingers crossed on that one.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
I often wondered if a power failure while a game is saving to the nand can cause a brick. When it appears with the saving.... no dont touch reset or power off the wii. Would that cause a brick or just corrupt saves? I don't think i'm gonna turn it off to find out tho!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jaybee said:
tj_cool said:
The most "unbrickable" you'll get is by using SNEEK (needs BootMii) and never even touch the real NAND (but that's maybe not what you want)

This would be true if Sneek was able to boot ISO games off hdd using a usb loader.
Not being able to run backups has nothing to do with brick safety
wink.gif

QUOTE(jaybee @ Apr 15 2010, 07:41 PM)
I often wondered if a power failure while a game is saving to the nand can cause a brick. When it appears with the saving.... no dont touch reset or power off the wii. Would that cause a brick or just corrupt saves? I don't think i'm gonna turn it off to find out tho!
Most likely save corruption
I doubt that it'd brick the wii completely

Don't take my word though
tongue.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because of hardware failure, no wii will ever be unbrickable. bootmii or infectious cant fix a broken GPU.
and noobs will really find a way to tear up anything. user error is the biggest killer of wiis by far. if you want an unbrickable wii, dont mod it at all. thats your best protection. second best protection is to know what the hell youre doing.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe its just a corrupt save, like if you were playing a game on the n64, i took the cartridge out while it was saving
tongue.gif
and its not like it corrupted the entire game lol just the save. itd be stupid of nintendo to make it so that accidental power outages during a save could brick you. And no unfortunately not jaybee, one or two people have publicly said they compiled gx
tongue.gif
but other than that im afraid no progress there.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
kyle007 said:
i believe its just a corrupt save, like if you were playing a game on the n64, i took the cartridge out while it was saving
tongue.gif
and its not like it corrupted the entire game lol just the save.
Yeah, but the actual game is on ROM so it can't be overwritten
unsure.gif

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thats my point, kind of
tongue.gif
do you think when the wii is saving a game it touches crucial stuff to the wii's performance? doubtful, and obviously the ios aren't in ROM since they need to be updated lol but its not like you'll see "saving and updating system menu, please dont turn off or reset the console"
tongue.gif

edit: basically my point was that on the 64 obviously it didn't/couldn't screw the game cause it couldn't access it while saving, and on the wii i doubt it accesses anything crucial to your wii that you could brick by powering off while saving

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
kyle007 said:
tongue.gif
and its not like it corrupted the entire game lol just the save. itd be stupid of nintendo to make it so that accidental power outages during a save could brick you. And no unfortunately not jaybee, one or two people have publicly said they compiled gx
tongue.gif
but other than that im afraid no progress there.

I didn't think there was much progress on it at the moment. Just waiting, hoping and keeping my ear to the ground on it and hopefully someone will work it out soon.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
kyle007 said:
well thats my point, kind of
tongue.gif
do you think when the wii is saving a game it touches crucial stuff to the wii's performance? doubtful, and obviously the ios aren't in ROM since they need to be updated lol but its not like you'll see "saving and updating system menu, please dont turn off or reset the console"
tongue.gif

yeh I see your point, but the wii's flash is writable in the sense that the system software can be overwritten by firmware update. So even if its not writing to the part that stores the OS files needed to boot the menu at save time, a messing up of the Filetable of the nand could brick it by screwing up the locations of the files it needs to boot up. Perhaps Nintendo have addressed this issue and ensured that it cannot happen though.

@Foez. My Wii brick protection is not as advanced as yours but just as effective. Multiple Wii's with Boot2 and multiple NAND backups. Now if I do something dodgy I use the sneek nand backup to try it. IE. Channels, Themes, Wiiware. Best way. Even if one Wii bricked (unlikely) the fun would never stop! lol

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe, i've seen some stuff in newer programs i forget what its called basically "smart crashing" lol it detects errors when they're about to happen and stops everything and gives you the chance to close the program before it crashes or to continue anyways (its nice cause at least on my computer when some programs crash i can't even open task manager or anything have to turn it off completely) so if the wii had something similar? i dont know basically uh oh something bad is about to happen to the nand, stop everything lol

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
kyle007 said:
maybe, i've seen some stuff in newer programs i forget what its called basically "smart crashing" lol it detects errors when they're about to happen and stops everything and gives you the chance to close the program before it crashes or to continue anyways (its nice cause at least on my computer when some programs crash i can't even open task manager or anything have to turn it off completely) so if the wii had something similar? i dont know basically uh oh something bad is about to happen to the nand, stop everything lol

What I find stange is that Ninty have been quiet now for ages and theres nothing above sys menu 4.2 at the moment even tho the Wii has been busted wide open. I hope they are not planning something dirty?

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think they'll definitely be some crazy stuff attached for the new metroid game, and the new zelda game. Maybe some crazy stuff like, poke cios' if its not a stub disc read error lol and almost definitely bca protection. though thats easy enough to get around.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
kyle007 said:
i think they'll definitely be some crazy stuff attached for the new metroid game, and the new zelda game. Maybe some crazy stuff like, poke cios' if its not a stub disc read error lol and almost definitely bca protection. though thats easy enough to get around.

Let them do checks in their games and it will only get patched by the scene release masses! My guess is that the games will only check to see if cios 222 and 249 are stubs anyway. They are not that clever! Yet! lol

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i guess it'd be easy enough, in theory
tongue.gif
i'm not that great at programming, but i mean wouldn't it be as simple as always returning whatever value nintendo wants regardless of whats actually installed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended