Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kojkk1A.jpg

Tomorrow would be the announcement of Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which is being made by Interceptor Entertainment and would be published under 3D Realms. 3D Realms lied to Interceptor about still having the rights to publish Duke Nukem games while Gearbox is the owner since a few years. 3D Realms is only allowed to publish old titles in the series, like they did Duke Nukem 3D on mobile platforms and Steam.
Of course Gearbox is not pleased with this turn of events and filled a lawsuit against 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment.

Part of the complaint by Gearbox said:
"Recently — and without consulting the Duke IP's actual owner, Gearbox —
Interceptor announced its intent to develop a Duke Nukem game based
upon the various characters, content and intellectual property owned by
Gearbox," the complaint reads. "Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem
IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others
that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development
effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."

The weirdest part of all this mess is that the CEO of 3D Realms, Scott Miller, admitted guilt.

And just when we thought this whole Duke Nukem drama was finally over.

:arrow:Source (Polygon)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's a huge shame, really. I hope that Interceptor and Gearbox manage to put their differences aside and think of a way to release the game under Gearbox's name. Back in the day I used to have a lot of respect to Apogee and 3D Realms, but with their recent stunts they've really disappointed me.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duke Nukem was great in its time, but I think all those kids from the 90's have outgrown it. Still, as bad as the last installment was, I found in more enjoyable than Call of Duty. At least it doesn't take itself seriously. I don't see how gaming reviewers could give Duke Nukem such a low score while giving a high score to semi-annual installments like COD and its ilk.

I've played about half way through it and it's good for its camp value. it would have blown people away if it had been released back at the turn of the century like it was supposed to have been.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why does this has to be taken to court? It seems like a clear case...3D realms sold the IP and then Scott Miller mistook (or intentionally ignored) the fact that they still could sell their own game on different platform as sign that they still had the right to do whatever they wanted. That clearly isn't so, so gearbox has every right to call them on that.

But why is interceptor dragged into this? They clearly aren't allowed to make the game (unless they reach an agreement with gearbox), but I don't see how they've done anything wrong. :unsure:

Perhaps it's better to ask interceptor if they still WANT to make a DN game. After the last one, I doubt there will be many fans left.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
That is hilarious.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am now convinced that the development process behind Duke Nukem games is just one long, protracted Three Stooges routine.

"Oh, ya told 'em you own the rights, eh? You some kinda wise guy? Why I oughta..."
*Comical pratfalls and eye pokes ensue*

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am now convinced that the development process behind Duke Nukem games is just one long, protracted Three Stooges routine.

"Oh, ya told 'em you own the rights, eh? You some kinda wise guy? Why I oughta..."
*Comical pratfalls and eye pokes ensue*

You forgot the Whoo woo woo woo nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Reactions: Gahars

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh well, at least we can buy Duke Nukem 3D for dirt cheap. Easily worth the $1.29 I paid for the game (to support the legal defence of 3D realms ;O; )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2