'Unauthorized use' of the Duke Nukem IP leads to (another) lawsuit

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Kwartel, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kwartel
    OP

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow would be the announcement of Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which is being made by Interceptor Entertainment and would be published under 3D Realms. 3D Realms lied to Interceptor about still having the rights to publish Duke Nukem games while Gearbox is the owner since a few years. 3D Realms is only allowed to publish old titles in the series, like they did Duke Nukem 3D on mobile platforms and Steam.
    Of course Gearbox is not pleased with this turn of events and filled a lawsuit against 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment.

The weirdest part of all this mess is that the CEO of 3D Realms, Scott Miller, admitted guilt.

And just when we thought this whole Duke Nukem drama was finally over.

:arrow:Source (Polygon)

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's a huge shame, really. I hope that Interceptor and Gearbox manage to put their differences aside and think of a way to release the game under Gearbox's name. Back in the day I used to have a lot of respect to Apogee and 3D Realms, but with their recent stunts they've really disappointed me.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I feel like a lawsuit is the only way anybody can actually make money off of Duke Nukem anymore.

infinete, pokefloote, Ammako and 2 others like this.
  4. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    Duke Nukem was great in its time, but I think all those kids from the 90's have outgrown it. Still, as bad as the last installment was, I found in more enjoyable than Call of Duty. At least it doesn't take itself seriously. I don't see how gaming reviewers could give Duke Nukem such a low score while giving a high score to semi-annual installments like COD and its ilk.

I've played about half way through it and it's good for its camp value. it would have blown people away if it had been released back at the turn of the century like it was supposed to have been.

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Why does this has to be taken to court? It seems like a clear case...3D realms sold the IP and then Scott Miller mistook (or intentionally ignored) the fact that they still could sell their own game on different platform as sign that they still had the right to do whatever they wanted. That clearly isn't so, so gearbox has every right to call them on that.

But why is interceptor dragged into this? They clearly aren't allowed to make the game (unless they reach an agreement with gearbox), but I don't see how they've done anything wrong. :unsure:

Perhaps it's better to ask interceptor if they still WANT to make a DN game. After the last one, I doubt there will be many fans left.

6. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    That is hilarious.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I am now convinced that the development process behind Duke Nukem games is just one long, protracted Three Stooges routine.

"Oh, ya told 'em you own the rights, eh? You some kinda wise guy? Why I oughta..."
    *Comical pratfalls and eye pokes ensue*

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  8. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Thats gotta be the truest thing Ive heard today.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    You forgot the Whoo woo woo woo nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Gahars likes this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Dammit people, why can't you just make a good Duke Nukem game instead of fucking Duke up the ass like this :angry:

11. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Oh well, at least we can buy Duke Nukem 3D for dirt cheap. Easily worth the $1.29 I paid for the game (to support the legal defence of 3D realms ;O; )

12. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    so... how much time we will have to wait for this one? 20 years?

EZ-Megaman likes this.