Unable to Unbrick 2.1 on a Specific n3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by invaderyoyo, Jul 5, 2016.

1. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Hey guys, I've been having a lot of trouble downgrading a hardmodded EUR n3ds I recently got. It was region swapped, but I flashed a nand backup from its original region. Maybe this has something to do with it? I'm using the plailect guide and the one click setup keeps bricking it.

It doesn't fail a validation or anything it just says failed at the end of the process and sure enough when I try turning it on it's bricked. I just get a black screen with or without the SD card.

I've tried redoing the whole process a bunch of times and it's the same thing. It's worked fine on all my other 3ds's, but I can't get this one to work.

I've tried replacing the twl_firm and agb_firm with the ones from 3dnus and I've also tried injecting the FIRM0 and FIRM1 like it says in the troubleshooting guide. I know that the secureinfo_A for the emunand and sysnand are the same. It still won't work.

The downgraded emunand passes the validation tests so Idk what's wrong. I even tried downgrading, unbricking and dumping the 2.1 emunand and then flashed it with the hardmod, but no dice. I used an older otp helper for those attempts, but the latest one for all the rest. Any advice would be great. Here are some pics.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by invaderyoyo, Jul 5, 2016
  2. NinjaSushi

NinjaSushi Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    try manually downgrading emunand and then manually unbrick it rather than doing the one click setup

3. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yeah, I tried that. No dice. I tried flashing the unbricked 2.1 emunand through otp helper and through the hardmod. I got a brick both times.

4. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    You're using outdated tools. The latest OTPHelper doesn't include the 2.1 unbrick as a standalone option. With emunand_formatted, redownload all files from Plai's guide and restart the guide from that point.

5. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I tried the "manually unbrick 2.1 emunand" method a few times when the one click setup wasn't working. I used an older otp helper for those attempts, but the latest one for all the rest.

6. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Uh, excuse me if I missed anything, have you ran TinyFormat on the NAND you're downgrading?

7. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yeah, two times. Just like it asks.

8. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    If it was region swapped, try flashing that 2.1 nand instead.

9. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I tried both. It bricks either way.

10. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Silly, obvious thing but figured I'd ask just in case:
    Are you making sure your emuNAND and sysNAND are unlinked before starting the "One Click Setup"?

11. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yup. I've made sure to format the sysnand each time after creating an emunand.

I'm gonna go ahead and try this method since I can't get it to work using the plailect guide. (yeah, it's in spanish)

Last edited by invaderyoyo, Jul 5, 2016
    Darkyose likes this.
  12. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Best of luck. This is a really strange problem, wish I could help more.

13. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yeah, I'm sure there's a modification that's been done to it I'm not aware of. I've used the guide with other 3ds's tons of times.

14. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    If it passes validation on the 2.1 downgrade and still doesn't boot without the SD card, then either:

- Something is physically wrong with the 3DS
    - OTPHelper has a software bug

It is possible you are one of the unlucky few who have a defective system, and it could have been the case even before the hardmod was done... Perhaps some photos of the internals of that 3DS might help us find the answer, but that might be something to post here: http://gbatemp.net/forums/3ds-console-accessories-and-hardware.200/

15. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I'll post the results of the the hardmod method that doesn't use otphelper when I finish.

16. invaderyoyo
    OP

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Alright, so I tried following the video mentioned above and it ended in another brick.

I went ahead and upgraded to 11.0, since that was the starting point of the video. I used the tool in the video to modify the 11.0 nand backup. This was supposed to make it so I could downgrade to 9.2.

When I flashed the modified nand backup to my 3ds, it bricked.

So what I ended up doing was using another tool from the video to unbrick a 2.1 backup using my computer. This one bricked it as well.

I have now removed the hardmod. I took the 3ds apart and desoldered the wires and removed the glue and the plug.

I'm gonna go ahead and give the plailect guide another shot to see if a faulty hardmod was the cause or if I really have a defective 3ds.