Hacking Unable to start software. Return to the HOME Menu and try again.

everton1985a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
[SOLVED] Solution at the end.

Hello,

Something very weird is happening. I was playing Super Mario Odyssey, and it worked flawlessly for a long time, then when I'm about to beat the game, the image and sound freezes, but since I could still use the Switch menu, I closed the software after a minute. Soon after, Nintendo gave an error saying that the file is corrupted, and prompted to run a check, and it confirmed that the file was corruputed. Then, the game simply didn't launch anymore, giving the error "Unable to start the software. Return to the HOME Menu and try again."

With this I did the following steps:
1) Redownload the game using TinFoil
2) Reinstalled the very same .xci file I had stored on an HD (using the SX OS default installer on album)
3) Rebooted the Switch (for some reason, on my device it takes ages, and a lot of trying to get it on after a reboot, but this also didn't help)
4) Tried installing only the base game, and downgrading the required version to boot up
5) Downloaded a brand new file, this time in .nsp format
6) Tried installing the game on Nand instead of SD Card
7) Tried deleting the Tickets for the game on Tinfoil
8) Tried launching the game after deleting the save file and also on a brand new profile

I did all those steps just after getting the first crash on the game, so I haven't updated nor installed anything new that could mess up that game. I'm really bugged as to why the console seem to have blacklisted that game or something. I installed a different game after this and it worked fine. I'm not sure if it could be a SD Card problem (even if I install it on Nand, maybe some files of the game still goes on the SD?). But even if it is the case, it's weird that I can install other games fine, but Mario Odyssey simply won't work anymore.

Any ideas?

My config is a Switch with SX Core
SX OS 3.1.0, firmware 11.0.0

Thank you.

--- Finally it's solved.

What did the trick, was turning off the console, then launching it up holding VOL+ plus Power. Then just choosing to boot SX OS in custom firmware. Apparently just getting into this menu cleared up some cache files or something like that, that was messing up with the game.

Last edited by everton1985a,
Reactions: petspeed

nicotina117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem with Monster Hunter Stories 2 Demo, ive been playing for a while just fine but suddenly doesnt work anymore, showing the same error that you posted. I tried the solution at the end but no luck for me D:

PurifiedCrystal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem
==Your method does NOT work for me==
This only started happening after I updated to sx os 3.1.0 and firmware 11.0.0
Installing or running the XCI game both do NOT run the game...

What I find working was only with an ext HD
1) install the game to switch with Tinfoil
2) Running the game from switch will not work, HOWEVER
3) Run the game via USB drive (load cartridge / XCI) will now run the game..

That is the only workaround I have found

Note: To save space, you can run the game in xci once, then you can go to tinfoil to update the game without installing the whole game (if you have an account). This way, you have the update installed only without installing the game.. so you still need the ext HD.

Last edited by PurifiedCrystal,
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and just installed a 512GB SSD with nothing on it yet
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    So in other words only 4 games got installed
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    lol
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    PS5 games are actually considerably smaller than PS4 games
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    better compression/optimization i guess
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    But it only has like 4 games :tpi:
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    what is something you can say about console homebrew but also in the bedroom
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Time to transfer files
    Gift
    "it was so hard the first time"
    +1
    Gift
    "Time to transfer files" bro having sex with robots
    +1
    Gift
    honestly knowing ken that isn't that unbelievable
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    arent many ps5 exclusives it's true, but there are a whole lot of ps4 games that got ps5 upgrades
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and those have to be stored on one of the SSDs
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    "time to smash the stack"
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Uremum does like to call me dadbot
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nothing beats a midnight shower
    Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I'd say there would be more PS5 exclusives...if people could actually buy PS5s.
    Gift
  • Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I mean, if no-one can buy a PS5, and thus is stuck with PS4 (Pros), then companies would still see some profit from developing PS4 games with PS5 upgrades; meanwhile, if they developed a PS5 game, then everyone who can't get that console won't buy that game, especially at launch.
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nah every console starts early with low libraries
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    well theyre churning them out as fast as they possibly can, not like Xbox or PC are faring much better with the chip shortages
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and games still take 4-6 years to develop regardless, so its not like sony can conjure up new exclusives out of thin air
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Makes me wonder what they have now and are actually hiding from the public
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I hope in the next 5 years they can move on to even more realistic skin renders and not just make characters look like Shiney clay molds
    Gift
  • Gift
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thehunter-call-wild-complete-bundle?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=pro...