unable to read store bought disks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by smuddge, Aug 19, 2009.

Aug 19, 2009
  1. smuddge
    OP

Newcomer smuddge Advanced Member

United States
    Ok heres the deal,
    non modded wii never been opened before. 3.1u on it and it will not read any disks that i put in it. put in the disk and it autostarts for some reason and give me an error about not being able to read the games.

i figured it was the laser so i changed it and still same issue. then i decided to swap the dvd drive entirely for a known working one and i still get the same thing.
    then i updated thinking it may have been software. updated to 4.1u and still same thing.

i am not clear on why every game tries to start automatically either... it doesn't have time to even show the disk channel icons for whatever game is inserted before it goes and give me the black screen with an error.

i am thinking it is coming down to the main board or the ribbon cable that connects the drive...

tried a different ribbon cable and power cable and still same result. i see no burned traces on the board at all.... help!

anyone have any ideas??

2. smuddge
    OP

United States
    does no one here have any hardware knowledge? did i post this in the wrong forum?

3. Skater4599

Member Skater4599 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It sounds to me like maybe somone had preloader or menu hacks on it to autoboot games, but after updating to 4.1 it would delete that. Is this wii brand new from the store? if so i'd be returning it and/or calling the big N to fix an obviously defective wii.. or did this wii work previously?

4. smuddge
    OP

United States
    never had anything at all on it. no preloader nothing and it did work up until this week.
    that is what i don't understand. its not new and no warranty but never modded in any way.
    i wanted to try and fix it.