Unable to install any Linux distros on Toshiba Satellite A200

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Tomato Hentai, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I've been trying to install some Linux distros on an old Toshiba Satellite A200 from USB, but whenever I try and get the computer to boot to the USB stick I have the install files on, it just says "Error loading operating system", and I'm not sure what I should do now. I've tried VectorLinux Light and Lubuntu, both ISOs unpacked using UNetbootin, and thus far and neither have worked. I have no idea what the issue would be.
    EDIT: I'm going to try another version of Lubuntu, and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try Ubuntu.

Last edited by Tomato Hentai, Mar 10, 2016
  2. greatfire

greatfire Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2006
    I once had a similar issue with another old toshiba model. Apparently it is a known issue with the UEFI settings. In the end I gave up. Good luck to you.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Are you sure the laptop can boot from USB? Generally, that error message is only given when the BIOS can't find any boot information on any drive. I'm looking through the manual for the laptop series, doesn't say it supports booting from a USB flash drive.

Burn one of them to a CD, see if it'll work that way (which I assume it will, unless the disk drive is busted).

4. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Are you planning on removing Windows entirely? If so, you can switch to BIOS rather than UEFI, it'll make Linux installation easier, and you can just format your entire hard drive clean before installing. Additionally, check that you have the ISO set up properly on USB. As mentioned, try booting from a CD, that might be easier as well.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    This laptop is from like 2007, it doesn't support UEFI. It was one of those "Windows Vista Ready!" laptop series, which is hilarious.

6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Ah, I wasn't aware of its production date. Yeah, if that's the case, then it's only BIOS. It's probably some configuration open in the BIOS that's goofed up.

Also speaking of old computers, I have a Vista-ready desktop that's somehow still running despite starting to suffer from hardware failure.

7. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    The one I'm using started to suffer from hardware failure from day one IIRC, yet my Mom still decided to keep it. A bunch of the keys stopped working.

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Yeah, this desktop doesn't have a properly working DVD drive, it only reads CDs, and the multi-card reader stopped working as well. Lately though, it's been running slow as hell. Either the RAM or the hard drive is dying, or both. I'm not sure, nor do I really care to check. It's old enough that it should be retired when it does stop working reliably.