Hacking Unable to get new HDD working

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I was hoping someone would be able to give me a little advice on how to get my new harddrive working with USB loaders.

Here's the deal. Today I bought a new 1.5TB hard drive for my Wii so I could play back ups on it.

First I formatted the hard drive to WBFS using WBFS Manager 3.0 then I loaded two games on it using the same software(had the .iso of two games I own). I already have NeoGamma R8 beta 7 installed on my SD card, so I figured I'd test it out on that because that's what I use to load another game off a 4GB USB drive I have. I loaded the USB drive and NeoGamma recognized the device and the two games I had on the HDD but when I go to launch the games it just say "Error: No DVD (n)".

Once I tried that a few more times I downloaded CoverFloader and USB Loader GX, both of them also recognized the games on the HDD but when I went to launch them the screen just went black and then pushed me back into the main Wii menu.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to I might go able resolving this issue? Or is it possible that it isn't a software issue, but the HDD I purchased isn't fully compatible?

As far as software on my Wii goes, I used this guide several weeks ago to update my Wii which was originally hacked with the Twilight hack, and the only update I made since was installing cIOS38r14.

Any help or suggestions at all are very appericated,
aqzman

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
What Model hard drive do you have?

Also maybe try installing Hermes cIOS 222 and 223 rev4 if you don't have and boot with that. Is the drive partitioned in any way?

TrueBlueMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried running a game from a different drive, like a flash drive just to see if your loader is working? I'm using an old external HD and it works fine with the CFG48 loader.

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kylsav said:

Also maybe try installing Hermes cIOS 222 and 223 rev4 if you don't have and boot with that. Is the drive partitioned in any way?

The HDD I'm using is called "Ultra Speed", and although the GBAtemp wiki is down right now (USB Devices Compatibility List would usually be located here) google cache got a copy of it here and one person said they were able to get it working.

I will try the Hermes cIOS' thanks for the suggestion. As far as the drive formatting goes, I let WBFS Manager 3.0 take care of that for me. So I have a 1.5TB WBFS partition on the drive.

QUOTE(TrueBlueMax @ Nov 29 2009, 03:39 AM) Have you tried running a game from a different drive, like a flash drive just to see if your loader is working? I'm using an old external HD and it works fine with the CFG48 loader.

As I stated in my original post (sorry if I wasn't clear enough) I was able to launch and play a game off a 4GB flash drive I have with no trouble at all. So I don't think it's my loader configuration.

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aqzman said:
kylsav said:

The HDD I'm using is called "Ultra Speed", and although the GBAtemp wiki is down right now (USB Devices Compatibility List would usually be located here) google cache got a copy of it here and one person said they were able to get it working.

I will try the Hermes cIOS' thanks for the suggestion. As far as the drive formatting goes, I let WBFS Manager 3.0 take care of that for me. So I have a 1.5TB WBFS partition on the drive.

QUOTE(TrueBlueMax @ Nov 29 2009, 03:39 AM) Have you tried running a game from a different drive, like a flash drive just to see if your loader is working? I'm using an old external HD and it works fine with the CFG48 loader.

As I stated in my original post (sorry if I wasn't clear enough) I was able to launch and play a game off a 4GB flash drive I have with no trouble at all. So I don't think it's my loader configuration.

You must do a Raw Partition with yoru computer. after that, do a WBFS partition over it with wbfs manager!

I had the same probleme

Now it works perfectly!

PS: Man 1.5tb!! ahah you have bought a lot of game!!!

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing Hermes cIOS' didn't change anything, unfortunately! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Pete666 said:
You must do a Raw Partition with yoru computer. after that, do a WBFS partition over it with wbfs manager!

I had the same probleme

Now it works perfectly!

PS: Man 1.5tb!! ahah you have bought a lot of game!!!

Thanks, I'll try that now.

Haha, yeah, 1.5TB is a lot of space. I just went to pick up a hard drive today and that was such a great deal I just couldn't pass it up.

QUOTE(cobleman @ Nov 29 2009, 04:09 AM) Need more info on your hard drive?

Not really much more info I can give, the website for the harddrive is here but there is very little information about the hard drive there. Although, I did post a link to the GBAtemp wiki where someone mentions the same hard drive I have.

TrueBlueMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a couple of suggestions to try:

1) Try a different loader, maybe your loader just doesn't like this drive. I'm using the cfg48 loader and I'm really happy with it.

2) Try a smaller HD, say 300GB or smaller if you have one. Maybe the loader has a problem with larger drives.

3) I'm using something called WBS-GUI on Windows XP to format the HD. The HD was previously formatted NTFS but this app set it to WBFS in a single step, and then I used it to load the ISO files onto the drive.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, thanks for all your help.

I've made a little bit of progress. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong now.

I ripped a game I had using USB Loader GX and it runs fine directly from the hard drive using all of the USB launchers I've tried. Although, the games which I downloaded the back ups for rather than using the actual disc to back them up still aren't working. Any suggestions?

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was having problems someone suggested that I disconnect the drive after formatting, then reconnect it to add games.

In my case, the drive was dead, so this didn't solve my problem, but it did actually help!

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mvgc3 said:
When I was having problems someone suggested that I disconnect the drive after formatting, then reconnect it to add games.

In my case, the drive was dead, so this didn't solve my problem, but it did actually help!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that'll work in my case.

I also figured out that I'm able to rip games onto the hard drive from games which have already been backed up and burnt off to a DVD. So my issue seems to be getting ISOs from the computer to work once I load them onto a hard drive.

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After playing around with all kinds of WBFS programs (most of them just GUI wrappers for wbfs.exe and its variations) and only having WBFS Manager 3.0 even able to put games on the hard drive (although those games didn't work on the Wii), I was somewhat able to figure out the problem.

Just using wbfs.exe through command prompt gave me an error which said "error writing to hd sector: No Error" and it would stop the .iso file upload to the harddrive right there. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this error, but if someone would be able to enlighten me, that'd be great.

Also, during the research I did on the error, I found out what disabling UAC on Vista fixes the problem, but I'm running Windows XP, so that wouldn't be the solution for me.

aqzman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ante80 said:
Have you tried making a smaller partition, say a 100Gb WBFS?
Something easy maybe worth trying.

QUOTE(cobleman @ Nov 30 2009, 06:46 AM) 3 equal partitions should work so long as they are all FAT32

Finally! This worked for me! I just wanted to say thanks a lot to everyone who posted, you were all a great help.

I'll provide a little bit of information in case anyone with a similar issue stumbles upon this thread.

These are the steps I used once I did a little bit of searching:
1. Format hard disk too FAT32
2.Make a folder named wbfs on the root directory of the FAT32 hard drive
3.Use wbfs_file Simple Gui.exe on your computer to turn your .iso into .wbfs files
4.Place .wbfs file in wbfs folder on hard drive
5.When installing cIOS222 use 38 and 37 merge and cIOS223 38 and 60 merge
6.Set UsbloaderGX to boot from cIOS 222

I have a 1.5TB drive so I split it into three 500GB partitions, as ante80 and cobleman both suggested making a smaller partition. I used pccfatman's Simple WBFS File Manager v2.3 and it worked great. You can see his post here.

I also found a FAT FAQ which might help if you have any basic questions, you can find that here.

Hopefully this helps someone having a similar problem.

Also, I have one more simple question if someone wouldn't mind answering it for me. When my first 500GB partition is full and I want to start putting games on the second partition do I just make another wbfs folder at the root of that drive?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.