Hardware Unable to add files to my Switch MicroSD card

ItzMrCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sorry if this does not belong on this fourm. I tried my best to find the right fourm to post this on...

Hello! I recently bought myself a new switch and with it I got a new 120gb MicroSD card with a MicroSD card adapter (for installing Atmosphere). Though the MicroSD card works fine with my Switch, I am unable to move the Atmosphere files to my MicroSD card from Windows. I keep getting a write protection error. Saying that the MicroSD card has write protection turned on when it clearly does not. I have tried everything to fix this problem. Restarting my PC, putting tape over the write protection switch so it wont flick down when I insert the MicroSD card, using DiskPart to clear the ReadOnly attributes to my MicroSD card, using a third party program such as EaseUS partition manager to format the SD card, installing LINUX to try and format it that way, using regedit to try and bypass the write protection (I've tried everything I can think of, though nothing above worked for me). I do not know what to do anymore, I would love to be able to install atmosphere onto my Switch with a MicroSD card. I would love to also be able to fix this problem without having to buy a USB variant of a MicroSD card adapter (I have the SD version). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who decide to help!

-Cactus

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your card reader is faulty. If you have any other full sized SD cards or adapters, try those. But if the switch can read/write to it perfectly fine, then the reader is incorrectly reading the mechanical write lock on the SD card adapter (the plastic switch thing on the side). So my guess is the only solution is going to be buying a new USB reader

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using a MicroSD to SD Card Adapter? Because if so it probably has a write-protect switch on the side.
71DDK-mxfUL._SL1028_.jpg
Alternatively, your reader might have a write-protect switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since you said the card worked fine in your Switch, perhaps you'd be better off actually using your Switch as a microSD card reader. This will save you from having to eject your microSD card often, and could save wear and tear on the microSD card itself as well as the Switch's microSD card slot.

Open TegraRcmGUI, go under the Tools menu, and pick MMC - SD Card under the Memloader dropdown. Click the button to send the payload to the Switch. This for all intensive purposes turns your Switch into a glorified USB 3.0 microSD card reader.

687474703a2f2f6c61756d6f6e6965722e6f72672f546567726152636d4755495f76322e352e706e67.png

ItzMrCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Are you able to write files to the card from within the switch?
No

Are you using a MicroSD to SD Card Adapter? Because if so it probably has a write-protect switch on the side.
View attachment 180756
Alternatively, your reader might have a write-protect switch.

Since you said the card worked fine in your Switch, perhaps you'd be better off actually using your Switch as a microSD card reader. This will save you from having to eject your microSD card often, and could save wear and tear on the microSD card itself as well as the Switch's microSD card slot.

Open TegraRcmGUI, go under the Tools menu, and pick MMC - SD Card under the Memloader dropdown. Click the button to send the payload to the Switch. This for all intensive purposes turns your Switch into a glorified USB 3.0 microSD card reader.

View attachment 180758
I'll be sure to try that! Thanks!

ItzMrCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
No

I'll be sure to try that! Thanks!
Ummm, small problem, actually 2. 1) Whenever I open TegraRcmGUI, it says No RCM Detected, 2) My switch keeps connecting and disconnecting from my USB on its own. I have tried using different USB-C cables, and still the same issue. I am using Windows 10 just in case you were wondering.

ItzMrCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ummm, small problem, actually 2. 1) Whenever I open TegraRcmGUI, it says No RCM Detected, 2) My switch keeps connecting and disconnecting from my USB on its own. I have tried using different USB-C cables, and still the same issue. I am using Windows 10 just in case you were wondering.
Never mind... I fixed both issues

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8 +1