UN Sets the Stage for Blazing Fast New Mobile Devices

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Our current 3G smartphones seem pretty fast already, right? Well, thanks to the UN's approval, they're about to get faster. Like a whole lot faster. Like 500 times faster.

That was not a typo.

Source: Yahoo News

Apparently, this technology has been around for a bit, but companies were unable to use it without standards set in place by the UN. That is no longer an issue.

Now, you won't be seeing this immediately. The article does mention that smartphones with this technology won't likely be available to consumers for about another 2 years or so. Sure, that sucks, but for speeds like that, I can take the wait.

I just hope the companies involved are careful; there are certain dangers with setting your phone to ludicrous speed, after all...

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    So.... 5G?

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Pretty much since 5G exists but it's not used by anyone even the military.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Load of crap. The U.N does not mean "the entire world", if there were technologies like this readily available, they would be used. At current, the fastest connection method that I know of and a possible candidate for the "4G" title (which is still undecided) is LTE with speeds reaching aprox. 120 megabits per second (theoretical 1 gigabit per second download and 500 megabit upload). That said, you can have as much transfer as you want and it won't help when the CPU of the device is unable to render the webpage or load the resources fast enough to keep up.

So no. No revolution comming up. Politicians should keep doing what they do best - politics.

1 person likes this.
  5. r3gR3t

Member r3gR3t GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You must mean stealing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    In the entire history of mankind there wasn't a government without its Naysayers. If you were governed by a bunch of angels that give you fairy dust and $10 pocket money everyday, you'd complain that others get $20.

3 people like this.
  7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Also, being tyrants well many of them are. They take away everything good in life.

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Let's all live in a wonderful world without governments and laws and see how we like it. I would very much prefere a bad government then no government at all, thank you very much.

A nation with no leadership ammounts to nothing but laziness and self-destruction.

9. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    the UN is a majority of the countries that can afford this kind of tech, and if you read the OP then you would have noticed that companies were unable to use this tech cause no standards had been set. So yes. A revolution coming up. Also 3G is very slow and this will make it ALOT faster, clearly you don't use 3G enough to understand that this is a giant step towards a better mobile world

10. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Now we wait for carriers to charge us out the ass for it.

11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I use 3G and 3,5G on a daily basis and LTE's been available where I live since it was released, way ahead of other EU countries, this is no step-up for me, sorry. I want to see that "revolution" of yours, you seem to fail to understand that putting this technology to use requires immense upgrades of mobile hardware itself which is a cost for the consumer and for mobile phone developers. Believe it or not, as of today, not all phones are equally 4G-ready if at all since the 4G standard isn't even set in stone yet and you're talking about 5G. An even greater overhaul is needed in the BTS systems in each country for each carrier that wants to use it, which is a multi-million investment.

In other words, "see ya in 10 years".

12. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    At the rate mobile tech is advancing 2 years doesn't seem so unrealistic

13. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Good luck with that.

14. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    this technology won't mean shit if SOPA/PIPA passes. blazing fast speeds to access... exactly what? the little that will be left after America smashes the known internet to bits? all that will be left to access are web pages-- hosting/downloading any sort of media content would probably be grounds for a takedown, so the speed becomes utterly pointless when all you can access are wikis and forums (or maybe they'll be reduced to mere bulletin boards).

2 people like this.
  15. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Always handy, I can't wait to see what kind of technological advances we'll see!

16. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Mobile Phones are advancing way too fast, I'm just gonna wait for a cheap tablet running windows 8 that's atleast 2x more powerful than my laptop, then be done.

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The U.S does not mean "the entire world". Even if it creates a precendence, the rest of the civilized world is still miles upon miles from creating similar legislature, ESPECIALLY countries that are typically liberal.

So no, the rest of the U.N won't be affected by it. In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't actually care. This is a topic about "possible" 5G-like technologies, so let's stay close to that point.

18. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    why are others getting 20? that would be a reason to complain imo

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Everybody assumes that they're being hurt by getting less then others, nobody seems to think that someone may have done something to actually earn the extra tenner.

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    we don't even have 4G in the uk let alone 500 times faster :(