Un-named iPhone FPS

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by YoshiInAVoid, Dec 16, 2011.

Dec 16, 2011

Un-named iPhone FPS by YoshiInAVoid at 7:42 PM (1,124 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Member YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I decided to make a 2D First Person Shooter in Adobe Flash CS5.5 iOS Air and I thought I'd share my progress with you lot to show you what it's like developing an iPhone/iPod Touch App/Game.

Currenty it doesn't have a name, it's just called Shooter.

Latest progress:
    -Movement is working, when you hold down a direction button the alpha of it changes and the background scrolls in that direction. Gun is always centered to give that Doom Classic feel (My favourite iPod Touch App!)
    -Fixed all glitches and bugs, it will never mess up!

Nothing else! But it's hard since this is my first Flash game and there are virtually no useful tutorials so I had to work it all out for myself.

I am looking for a graphics artist! Please post if you can help.

Latest screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Current amount of lines of ActionScript 3.0 code:
    71 - Not much.

Please post:
    -Opinions of a me making an iPhone FPS; lol,
    -Ideas for the game's name,
    -Questions about gameplay,
    -Suggestions for gameplay EG: Zombies, Vampires, whatever else you have in mind,
    -Graphics or sounds I could use - I didn't make any from the screenshot, Google Images gave them to me (and I might get in trouble if I continue to get graphics this way!),
    -Pointless dumb messages if you're a spammer,

-YoshiInAVoid-

2. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    if you can be bothered you could use google earth and grab the images off that of a small town an make it kinda silent hill style (mutated things, zombies etc)

Im pretty sure you cant copyright a town.

However cg with real life images just doesnt look right,unless you have the right technology to implement it all cleanly, which no offence but going from the screenshot, above you do not. Good idea though let me know when theres a beta floating around il give it a shot on my iphone 4

3. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    The Google Earth idea is good. But as you rightly say, real world images don't really fit in with the style that I'm using. I need a graphics artist!

A beta wont be available for a while since development has only just started yesterday. You will need a jailbroken device with in order to get it installed when I do release a preview though.

4. yusuo

United Kingdom
    If you can get a graphical artist just to sort out the different weapons and enemies to get them to look a little more realistic then you could easily splice it together with google earth, having it set on a real world location would be really good, but i wouldnt advise doing it on a grand scale, maybe something like central park in NYC all open space not need to create alot of buildings or hideouts and could make it a FPS survival horror (loads of ideas going through my head now)

one idea is ok not alot of enemies and a bit of a stealthy approach but if you get spotted the enemy squels out in a chilling sound (calling for backup) and you have to find cover quick as you know loads of them are coming for you

As for the beta testing, jailbroken check, check just let me know when

5. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your support. I too am getting ideas rushing through my head now. Unfortunatly it will be 2D since I'm not brainy enough to handle 3D (yet), you can only move left and right, no forwards or backwards, and it's just a background being scrolled so it wont look very 3D. It sounds rubbish but it runs quite smoothly, and I quite like the idea of a simple left to right moving FPS. A problem I have alwasy had with FPS games is that you can't tell if someone is behind you or side on to you like you can in real life with the corner of your eye, an iPhone just has a small screen to display what's directly infront of you.

The core ideas I am thinking of though is that you:
    -Have limited amo, if you run out, you must use a shovel to bash them on the head or a chainsaw or something.
    -Get points for each zombie that you kill,
    -Buy new guns with points or coins, some will be from weak guns that take two hits to kill a zombie, and bazookas that take out 5 zombies in one hit,
    -You must buy or find amo,
    -Upgrade your speed, power (for using weapons like the shovel) with points or coins you get from killing zombies,
    -Can buy defences such as a gate which stops the zombies moving until they can break past it, it will cost money to repair the gate,
    -There will be many different levels which you unlock by getting a certain amount of points, some harder than others because they have more/faster zombies,

I really need a graphics artist that can make me an animated zombie walking towards the player, I'll hande the zooming and movement, I just need an animated walking zombie... Anyone?

EDIT: Also, what should the shoot or fire button look like? A picture of a gun? A button that says shoot? I don't know.

6. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    On a side note, I found this:

[​IMG]
    Haha, it's a cheesey joke but it made me laugh.

1 person likes this.
  7. yusuo

United Kingdom
    If its just a simple left right mover why do you need a button designated for shooting, why not just have it where you can tap anywhere on the screen (minus the arrow buttons ofcourse) playing black ops zombies on my iphone i found it really irratating that the reload function and the fire function where so close together.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Why on earth would you require a piracy app (the name of which I'm fairly sure cannot be mentioned on these forums) to install it? Why not just put it on Cydia? (I don't know anything about regular or jailbroken iPhone development, but I don't think there's much difference in the method, other than Cydia being the logical thing to do)

9. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    Look. I don't want this thred to become a piracy disgussion. I downloaded a safari download add on so I can download files, so I host my ipa file on my site, download it and then use to install it. Yes, could be used to install paid apps like angry birds but you could say the same for web-browsers being used to illegally download music. People use programs for piracy, deal with it.

If I were to use Cydia then I would have to set up a repo or submit my app to an existing repo would take much longer than nessassary since I only want to test if the movement works for literally 5 seconds. Just because can be used for piracy, doesn't mean I can't use it for non piracy uses.

Exactly. If I've found a method that works for me; why should I switch to a harder, more difficult one, just because my current method could be used for piracy when I'm not going to use it for piracy?

@yusuo, that's a great idea, also it means I can have more space to show the health, amo, etc...

10. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Well...naming it is still against the rules, just change it to like..."that one jailbroken apps thingy illegally bad thing". So unfortunately I'm going to have to report you...sorry :/

On a related note, have you ever thought of making this for Android? Shouldn't be as hard I don't think and I would probably play it as a time waster.

11. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh, I didn't know it was against the rules to post "" while I'm at it I may as well say "Firefox", "Internet Explorer", "Opera", "DVD Players". Everything is compactible with pirated software, DVD players, internet browsers, everything!

If I deserve a ban for posting that, then this forum is totally rediculous. If you mods really want to, then replace all of the instances where I have said it with {warez} but don't think it's really nessassary.

Now can we please get back on topic, I did mention that "I don't want this thred to become a piracy disgussion."

1 person likes this.
  12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Those programs aren't created solely for the purpose of piracy. This app is. You may not use it as such (although tbh, I doubt that), and if so that is highly commendable, but it is still the designed purpose of the app. Considering you can directly download the pirated apps using that app, it is the same as posting the name of a ROM or ISO site. Which is against the rules.

This is not a piracy discussion. It's a discussion of the rules of this forum, which forbid the discussion by name of apps such as that one.

13. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I have replaced it with "" I hope it's good enough ;)

Naming that app is forbidden. If you want to install .IPAs, then just use iFile, which I'm pretty sure lets you do that.

14. SifJar

United Kingdom
    iFile can only install .DEBs, not .IPAs ;)

15. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, I won't mention it again. Sorry.

I have started adding in the zombies automatically moving and zooming them as they get closer. I have used the demon from Doom as a temporary graphic to test it but I really need a graphics artist at this stage. Anyone interested?

16. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    How come I can mention R4's which are used to pirate DS games but I can't mention you know what?

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Because that ALSO lets you find games with minimal effort. If for some strange reason someone released an R4 with a firmware which also let you download games, then that R4 would be banned from naming on this site too.

18. yusuo

United Kingdom
    For a split second I thought you were on about voldermort

1 person likes this.
  19. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wont be able to continue this until I get a graphics artist...