Hacking Un-Mirror Twilight Princess?

J0ker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ive read somewhere else that there are people out there who want an un-mirrored wii Twilight princess, and i ahve to say, thats a neat idea.
is there a way to do it? maybe through a hack, like the tatsunoko vs capcom hack that put in the original intro? or the various smashbros hacks?

the way i see it, youd have to deactivate the mirror mode in the camera code. then youd have to re-map the controls to follow suit. you could also change waggle to B button and item use to direct tapping on the + (similar of how the iron boots already work) like it originally was before shiggy fucked this shit up.

id love to play the game like this. and maybe red blood...

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You want to unmirror it...but why? What's point? I also want to go on record as saying that I say this as a giant Legend of Zelda fan. I'm not trying to troll you or anything.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
What do you mean by "un-mirror it"?
The Wii version of Twilight Princess is mirrored. This, so that the right handed people can play it. Originally, Link is left-handed, but in the Wii version he's right-handed. They also mirrored the world as to make it less confusing, or something along those lines.

I think it's a great idea!

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here's a quick tutorial:
1.) Swap Wii Zelda TP disc with GameCube Zelda TP disc
2.) Play Zelda TP un-mirrored with all NEW camera controls not included in the Wii version!

Well, the biggest downside using this method would be the lack of widescreen support, for whatever reason...However, I'd gladly exchange the ticky-tacky Wii controls against regular gamepad controls at any time, so as long as you're okay with that, I'd say go for the GC version...
I, for one, can also easily go without the annoying, noisy on-screen cursor of the Wii version.
Seriously, what was wrong with the team responsible for the Wii port of the game?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm fairly sure this has been asked before, and I think it was decided it IS possible, but would be very hard, or something along those lines.

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a pretty pointless project imo. There are bigger and more important things in the Wii scene to work on.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
What do you mean by "un-mirror it"?
The Wii version of Twilight Princess is mirrored. This, so that the right handed people can play it. Originally, Link is left-handed, but in the Wii version he's right-handed. They also mirrored the world as to make it less confusing, or something along those lines.

I think it's a great idea!
lol what difference does it matter what hand you hold the remote in? its the same thing either way the only difference is in gamecube if you go right to get somewhere it would be left in the Wii version it has nothing to do with what hand you play with but the direction in the game...

J0ker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i own the cube version, but it has, as already mentioned here, no widescreen support, and that bugs me. also, the pointer controls for aiming with arrows and the claws make the wii version better in this instance. i still dont get why they mirrored the damn thing for some waggle-.-

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo any progress on this yet?

I mean I've seen the Wii's TP world flipped in images before and I made sure i wasn't looking at an image that was just flipped horizontally in some photo editing software, it was actually mirrored as to reflect the Gamecube version.

Also in this video by one of the members of this forum (Disbala) you can at least see Ordon Village flipped as it is in the GC version @ 0:36 :

So yeah how in the world does someone un-mirror the Wii Twilight Princesses' world..?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i own the cube version, but it has, as already mentioned here, no widescreen support, and that bugs me. also, the pointer controls for aiming with arrows and the claws make the wii version better in this instance. i still dont get why they mirrored the damn thing for some waggle-.-

Well, if you think about it, it's not even a real widescreen, just a fake one that stretches the pixel on screen making the game look even more jaggy.
I've learned long ago to set my Wii at 4:3 and enjoy sharper graphics.
I also recently got me a 27" CRT TV ( 4:3 ) and the Wii looks better then ever on it, from the authenticity of the scan lines on VC games to full scale Wii games, which are anyway displayed at 640x480 and then use the TV widescreen settings to stretch the image to 16:9.

A few games that were meant to be played at 16:9, like RE4, are simply letterboxed, making them a little smaller, but that's OK since my 27"CRT TV beats the shit out of my 24" widescreen Samsung.

Following this logic, and itching to play the REAL version of Zelda TP, with the world shaped and reminiscent of Hyrule in OOT and without tackled on motion controls, I found that the GC version is the way to go, and I'm replaying it right now.

Reactions: Rydian

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you think about it, it's not even a real widescreen, just a fake one that stretches the pixel on screen making the game look even more jaggy.
I've learned long ago to set my Wii at 4:3 and enjoy sharper graphics.
I also recently got me a 27" CRT TV ( 4:3 ) and the Wii looks better then ever on it, from the authenticity of the scan lines on VC games to full scale Wii games, which are anyway displayed at 640x480 and then use the TV widescreen settings to stretch the image to 16:9.

A few games that were meant to be played at 16:9, like RE4, are simply letterboxed, making them a little smaller, but that's OK since my 27"CRT TV beats the shit out of my 24" widescreen Samsung.

Following this logic, and itching to play the REAL version of Zelda TP, with the world shaped and reminiscent of Hyrule in OOT and without tackled on motion controls, I found that the GC version is the way to go, and I'm replaying it right now.

Now while I originally played through the Wii version years ago on a CRT TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio as it turns out the Wii version does have true 16:9 support which in my opinion looks wonderful; or rather, it looks the way it should.

On top of that there are a few practical reasons to choose the Wii version over the Gamecube version as you can hold one more item than you can in the GC version (why not put Midna on the d-pad guys instead of using up Z button for her??), you can move around while aiming just about anything in the Wii version (not to mention aiming feels oh so much better while aiming the wiimote imo), the overpowered spin move is considerably faster to use depending of course on the method used in the GC version (I've just found spin slashing and then finishing an enemy while they're down to be faster in the Wii version of TP).

Aside from those things there's also a fishing mini game in the Wii version that I could care less about. The only thing the GC version has over the Wii version in a practical sense is the free camera movement which i cant remember ever feeling as though that would be useful during my original playthrough of the Wii version, unlike in Wind Waker where the free camera movement did help me out here and there.

So with all that said I would love to playthrough Twilight Princess again too and like you I also want to play the 'REAL' version [of TP's world] which requires someone to render the Wii's world mirrored (the correct way) so I can keep all the benefits that come with the Wii version and still get a somewat new yet slightly nostalgic experience as I did playing OOT Master Quest on the 3DS with it's flipped world.

I suppose I shouldve been more clear, I saw that post and immediately started searching things like "Hackadoodledoo Mirror Twilight Princess" or "Hackadoodledoo TP flip world" actually expecting some results only to find out what should've been obvious to begin with which was that he was just implying he used a hack of some sort. So i guess I'll try and get in touch with this Disbala person while he's still on the forum.

Blueie

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
As annoying and poorly implemented the waggle controls were, I'll take them over using items with the D-pad. Seriously, that would be really awkward. Imagine shooting arrows with D-left, ewwww.

lol what difference does it matter what hand you hold the remote in? its the same thing either way the only difference is in gamecube if you go right to get somewhere it would be left in the Wii version it has nothing to do with what hand you play with but the direction in the game...
Are you kidding? Try holding and aiming the Wiimote with your non-dominant hand.

First off, "Shiggy" didn't fuck anything up. It's cause of him that we even HAVE Zelda.
Pffft... this isn't a thread for sucking it up to Miyamoto. And your argument makes no sense, the same thing could be said about George Lucas. Just because Shiggy created Zelda (along with other people), it doesn't mean that he's perfect and can't make mistakes, take bad decisions or screw up (which he did plenty of times, if you ask me).

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I figured out how to un-mirror the Wii version with this Gecko code (at least it works in dolphin):

Mirrored Mode [brkirch]
0400CEC0 60000000
0401A878 FF800890
042457E8 38600000
C20409C4 00000005
48000009 00000000
7C8802A6 80840000
FC602050 2C040000
4082000C FC601850
FC802050 00000000
C21E191C 00000003
981F0146 48000005
7FE802A6 38000001
901FFFCC 00000000
C21E1A20 00000003
981F0146 48000005
7FE802A6 901FFFAC
60000000 00000000
C21E1A78 00000003
981F0146 48000005
7FE802A6 38000001
901FFF8C 00000000
C21E1BC4 00000003
981F0146 48000005
7FE802A6 901FFF6C
60000000 00000000

Of course there are some known "issues" in doing this:

-The maps are not mirrored on the map screen (but the mini-map is flipped accordingly)
-Link is not mirrored on the collection screen
-Any game dialogs that tell you to move the control stick right or left (e.g. in shops) are not changed to match the mirrored controls

^So pretty much what you'd expect from a code that simply renders the 3D world differently.^

Here are some screenshots of myself using the code during the very beginning portion of the game:
pOFfqyD.jpg
l7bjreW.jpg
hLbyRbx.jpg

kEFYnhO.jpg

NOTE:
-The Mini-Map looks a bit pixelated because I was using the DirectX 9 Backend to keep a stable 30fps but at least it was flipped with the rest of the world...
-...The same however can not be said for the actual world map as shown in the last picture but I'm sure a quick texture swap later I can clear that up.

Reactions: Excelsiior

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii version is fine, it's the Gamecube version that seems weird and awkward to use. So if you're to flip any of them, make it the Gamecube version.
While I do technically prefer the Gamecube's control layout more from a practical standpoint (not to mention there's nothing wrong with the traditional control layout what-so-ever) I feel more free with a wiimote and nunchuck not to mention the awesome [true] 16:9 widescreen support. The reason I or anyone else I'd imagine would want to flip the world of the Wii world to reflect that of the GC one would be to experience the GC version of the game, the actual / cannon version of Twilight Princess might I add; without sacrificing all those Wii exclusive benefits.

Gamecube's TP World = "Proper" Orientation

[...] I'll take them over using items with the D-pad. Seriously, that would be really awkward. Imagine shooting arrows with D-left, ewwww.[...]
Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, I suppose I can't blame you for not playing the Wii version thus coming up with the conclusion that you actually use items using the d-pad itself. Then again the way you do use them isn't exactly ideal either, but regardless you're still able to carry more items at a time which means less opening up the items menu throughout your playthrough.

The way items work in the Wii version is you assign items to the d-pad and then when pressing the d-pad direction corresponding with the item you want to use, that item is placed in a box where-as you must press the <B> trigger on the back of the wiimote to use it. Not as traditional or practical as pressing a button, sure, but as I said before pressing and releasing a trigger button to (ie.) fire arrows with as much precision as you can get from a wiimote is superior in my mind to pressing and releasing a button on the Gamecube controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.