Hacking Umineko no Naku Koro ni Portable - English translation(?)

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi, I know that this is probably the wrong site to be posting such a topic on, but I'm established here and this is as good a starting point as any.
umineko_portable1_2_001_thumb.jpg

Basically, Umineko no Naku Koro ni is a very popular Visual Novel for PC, which has received an anime series and several ports to other platforms - most recently the PS3 and PSP.
The PS3 and PSP versions are likely the best, as they use remastered sprites, backgrounds and music, but unfortunately neither of them have been released in English. With the original series of visual novels, this was not a problem as several translation teams/efforts sprang up to do almost a complete translation to English.
The PS3 release has some attention, and I believe there are those who are working on a patch for it -- however, the PSP version is not, and I am wondering if this can be changed.
The actual script is already available in English, thanks to aforementioned projects like Witch-Hunt. Surely from this point it should be simplistic to port over?

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
So, what you could do? You could copy-paste the script (if it is really translated same as it was), correct? Or maybe you speak japanese?

Or maybe someone already did that?

AdanK85

Game Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hmm...

I know I did enjoy the anime... but somehow its ending is a little ... can't describe.

Anyway, the trailer for its psp is good.

X_Frost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...

I know I did enjoy the anime... but somehow its ending is a little ... can't describe.

Anyway, the trailer for its psp is good.
Anime ended roughly halfway, it gets better at Part 5.
Also. for translation, couldn't the Witch Hunt Translation be used as a base.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
What project? Even apart hacking I do not see that anyone even want to work at least as editor to check and copy-paste data which someone supposed to use.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
That's a pity no one is interested in such gorgeous (visually) novel.

BIG_BEA_A14_002.pft.png

But there is tons of image editing (even apart translation itself), so it would require a group of really devoted ppl...

But I hope, some day this one would be translated too... And we would get a truly portable Umineko.

C0402_LA2.pft.png

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not impossible, but you'd have to be able to unpack and repack the scripts and image formats, and the PSP versions ends halfway through the story.

It'd probably be better to do the PS3 version instead of the unfinished PSP versions, and a group has been backporting that to PC for the past few years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime