Gaming UMD laser problem

m3rox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I just purchased a PSP phat on ebay ($59.75 + shipping) and it's said to work perfectly except it won't read UMD's. I figure all it needs is a new laser unit, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to buy from? Preferably cheap. The reason I'm asking here is because I want to know if there are any places cheaper than dealextreme, or that have faster shipping (been waiting on a charger since the 23rd of last month).

Anyone?

Cillus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that Dealextreme carries the "phat" optical drive replacements? I saw they had one for like $30 or so, but it said it was for the slim. I was looking for one too, but since I'm not too confident in my manual repair ability (broke my last PSP replacing the screen), I decided I'll just send it in to be repaired.

Cillus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDstorage failure? This was not something that was brought to my attention when I was discussing my PSP's sudden inability to read UMDs. What is it? Is it really fixable?

m3rox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cillus said:
IDstorage failure? This was not something that was brought to my attention when I was discussing my PSP's sudden inability to read UMDs. What is it? Is it really fixable?

That's what I'd like to know.

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Psp Idstorage contains a database of specific information about the PSP (hardware) such as serial number, MAC address, Psp Region, UMD Reader Region, type of motherboard and more.

Most people corrupt it by doing something incorrectly with their Psp Nand or restoring someone elses Nand to a different Psp but I have heard of people's corrupting for unknown reasons.

In some cases, after the Idstorage has been corrupted and partially fixed, the Psp can no longer read any UMD's. The only fix I am aware of for IDstorage issues are restoring a Nand dump before any problems had occured. I know of users who managed to corrupt IDstorage keys resulting in their UMD no longer working and others Wifi stopped working.

Edit: As far as I am aware, today only partial fixes exist for those who have not done a clean Nand backup on the same Psp before any IDstorage issues.

Cillus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since I don't know what a Nand is and have only ever played UMD discs on this PSP, I'm certain that's not my issue. Guess it's the lens for sure, then =\

m3rox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, well I guess I'll find out when it arrives. I plan on putting the laser module from my current PSP into this one to see if that's what the issue is before just going out and purchasing a laser module.

Thanks for the info
smile.gif

m3rox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Sorry to bump this)

Ok, I've got the PSP now, the UMD drive is making noises like it's trying to read the UMD, but just never finishes (keeps going on and on). Sounds like a laser problem to me, but I dunno. Any ideas?

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
m3rox said:
Ok, so I just purchased a PSP phat on ebay ($59.75 + shipping) and it's said to work perfectly except it won't read UMD's. I figure all it needs is a new laser unit, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to buy from? Preferably cheap. The reason I'm asking here is because I want to know if there are any places cheaper than dealextreme, or that have faster shipping (been waiting on a charger since the 23rd of last month).

Anyone?

Why not run games of memory stick instead? I thought that was what everybody did these days. CFW, Faster Loading Times & More Battery Life = Win ?

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I dont understand why you would even bother trying to fix the UMD thing. Just put your psp on custom firmware and buy some 2 or 4 gig memory sticks. Once you have CFW, it's easy to turn your UMD discs into ISOs and put those on your memory stick. It's not pirating that way

m3rox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeijin said:
m3rox said:

Anyone?

Why not run games of memory stick instead? I thought that was what everybody did these days. CFW, Faster Loading Times & More Battery Life = Win ?

Because I'm going to be selling this PSP, and I want everything to be working so I don't have to lower the price when I sell it.

solange82200 said:
Yeah, I dont understand why you would even bother trying to fix the UMD thing. Just put your psp on custom firmware and buy some 2 or 4 gig memory sticks. Once you have CFW, it's easy to turn your UMD discs into ISOs and put those on your memory stick. It's not pirating that way

Same as above. Also, not everybody pirates, it's very ignorant of you to assume so. (even though I do, my customer may not)

QUOTE(Monster On Strings @ Jul 12 2008, 10:43 PM) It's actually a possibility that the laser is too dirty. try gently cleaning the laser.

Yeah, I'm gonna try that later with a q tip

QUOTE(neveras @ Jul 12 2008, 10:48 PM)
What's a UMD? Isn't that slot in the back of your pc just storage?

oh ffs..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1