Ultimately a bad hack?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MagnetMouse, May 30, 2011.

May 30, 2011

Ultimately a bad hack? by MagnetMouse at 4:50 PM (1,015 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. MagnetMouse
    OP

Newcomer MagnetMouse Member

United States
    I'm sure this issue has been brought up on multiple occasions, but I can't seem to find a working solution.

To softmod my Wii (4.3U), I used Lego's Indiana Jones. Does this actually make a difference to any degree that I didn't use seemingly more common games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the softmodding process?

Working backups that I've used include:

• New Super Mario Bros Wii.
    • Wii Play
    Failed backups include:
    • Let's Tap
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Wii Party
    • WarioWare: Smooth Moves

I've even tried the custom "Mario Kart Black" mod to see if was just me and my discs.

Not sure if the problem lies within a possibility of bad dumps? I don't think so, for I have tried to rip said games at least three to four times each. IOSes, I've tried numerous. Now, I'm no pro when it comes to these things, so I could be going on about reconfiguring IOSes around incorrectly. Currently loaded on my Wii by default is IOS249 rev 20.

What could possibly be the source of these reoccurring issues? Would a complete restart of my Wii with an alternate resource result in a viable procedure?

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

3. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    Also, I forgot to bring up that I have a Mac, but I do have Windows on it through the use of Parallels. Additionally, I use Wii Backup Manager (on the virtual machine) to transfer games between my computer and my 1TB Western Digital external hard drive. Recently I started to think that I need Windows Windows to properly do things - including running certain software that failed to run on the virtual machine - but who knows, really. Hopefully this works...

Thanks; will update this thread as soon as I can.

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    It makes no difference what game u use to install the HBC as long as in the end you get the HBC installed.

zizer is right, u should use ModMii to resoftmod your Wii. Chances are good that the only thing messing with your ability to play backups is your cIOS249 or the backup loader your using (configurable usb-loader is recommended). Using ModMii to rehack your wii will address those issues.

5. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading your SM for a higher SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?

Edit: Scrap that, I was following along with the video's illustration until I realized that there was an extra section not similar to the video provided in the tutorial.

6. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Stick with 4.3U. You don't even have a need to downgrade as you have a game with an exploit you can use to re-hack your Wii if need be. More importantly all new Wii's should not be downgraded below SM4.1 firmware as there are timing issues with the new Wii's and the older firmware (apparently the older Wii's actually boot faster lol). So again...stay with SM4.3U or at least do not install any IOSes or SMs that came out before SM4.1.

-[]D

*is this a typo???

7. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It's the IOS's that are the problem. That's why IOS60 is often installed to all SM IOS slots (besides IOS9, which is still active). IOS60 works on new Wii's that are downgraded and region changed Korean Wii's that are upgraded past 4.1.

@MagnetMouse: If you were to downgrade, 4.1 would be a far more logical choice than 4.2, but it is safer just to stay where you are at. Also, never follow failtube guides! I learned that the hard way back in my newbie days.

8. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    Haha yeah, that's what I did when I initially softmodded my Wii. I'm giving this ModMii a shot; from what I've seen, it seems very well-organized. And thanks - I had a feeling the main issue at hand involved misuses of IOS's.

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Modmii doesn't have a video tutorial. If you're refering to Xflak's avatar: that's degrading a wii. It's very different from downgrading one.

(I couldn't resist [​IMG] )

10. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    Partially, it seems to have one. Haha...

11. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    So I got to finish up this morning installing ModMii... pretty easy to install, but sadly I'm still getting freezes...

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    Run sysCheck. After it's done, open SD:\syscheck.csv with WordPad and copy and past the contents into a new post. Please use spoiler tags.

PS: Does anyone know if there is a syscheck guide on here? I'm getting tired of posting instructions each time, and if there isn't one, I'm just going to make one.

13. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    I used the GX version since the other one froze immediately with distorted lettering across the screen...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    That's weird. You have some IOS's from mauifrog's guide, but if you had followed it (at least properly), you would have downgraded to 4.1. Did you try running those games on Configurable USB Loader (not GX) with 223? 223 is v4 with base 38 merged with 37, and should work with just about everything (doesn't work with COD:Black Ops).

PS: You been digging through my mediafire account, or did you get the GX one somewhere else? [​IMG]

15. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    I've been digging through no one's guide/account other than xFlak's ModMii tutorial, lol. And yes, I tried running with Configurable USB Loader... the number that pops up at the bottom right corner upon loading is a 249 though, seems like I should try and change it to 223? Do I accomplish this through "Load another IOS" in MMM? I'll try your suggestion as soon as I can. Thanks!

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    Press A to select the game, then press 1, select Manage, and change the IOS to 223. Save your changes. Try launching the game.

17. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    I just finished installing the 223 IOS, precisely the one you mentioned. I get two options: one with "mload" and the other, "yal". Both failed.

P.S. The option to change the IOS was accessible through "Options", not "Manage"... sounds like I may have an outdated version?

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    No, the GUI just changed and I was going by memory (which was wrong). Previously everything was together.

What happens when you try to launch the games from 223?

PS: What do you mean you just finished installing 223? It was already there when you did the sysCheck.

19. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    The other games that had no known issues run fine with "223-mload" enabled. No change was witnessed with the other problematic games.

So the 223 IOS with "mload" is the way to go? "yal" on the other hand results in the error:

IOS(223) yal .....
    set_frag: -128
    ERROR: SetWBFS: -128

I downloaded an extra .wad from Hermes, one that, according to its title, was merged with 38+37. I'm guessing this was an unnecessary step taken as the required IOS was already installed? (looking at the sysCheck led me to believe that I had another version of the IOS, somehow)

20. MagnetMouse
    OP

United States
    One thing that may be of particular interest is that when I hold down the power button, there's a quick interval in which a yellow light is displayed. This, however, occurred days prior to re-softmodding my Wii, but I never gave it much notice. Does this indicate something that could possibly be interfering with the ability to play backups?