Hacking Ultimately a bad hack?

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this issue has been brought up on multiple occasions, but I can't seem to find a working solution.

To softmod my Wii (4.3U), I used Lego's Indiana Jones. Does this actually make a difference to any degree that I didn't use seemingly more common games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the softmodding process?

Working backups that I've used include:

• New Super Mario Bros Wii.
  • Wii Play
Failed backups include:
  • Let's Tap
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Wii Party
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves

I've even tried the custom "Mario Kart Black" mod to see if was just me and my discs.

Not sure if the problem lies within a possibility of bad dumps? I don't think so, for I have tried to rip said games at least three to four times each. IOSes, I've tried numerous. Now, I'm no pro when it comes to these things, so I could be going on about reconfiguring IOSes around incorrectly. Currently loaded on my Wii by default is IOS249 rev 20.

What could possibly be the source of these reoccurring issues? Would a complete restart of my Wii with an alternate resource result in a viable procedure?

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I forgot to bring up that I have a Mac, but I do have Windows on it through the use of Parallels. Additionally, I use Wii Backup Manager (on the virtual machine) to transfer games between my computer and my 1TB Western Digital external hard drive. Recently I started to think that I need Windows Windows to properly do things - including running certain software that failed to run on the virtual machine - but who knows, really. Hopefully this works...

Thanks; will update this thread as soon as I can.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It makes no difference what game u use to install the HBC as long as in the end you get the HBC installed.

zizer is right, u should use ModMii to resoftmod your Wii. Chances are good that the only thing messing with your ability to play backups is your cIOS249 or the backup loader your using (configurable usb-loader is recommended). Using ModMii to rehack your wii will address those issues.

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading your SM for a higher SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?

Edit: Scrap that, I was following along with the video's illustration until I realized that there was an extra section not similar to the video provided in the tutorial.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MagnetMouse said:
Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading* your SM for a higher* SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?
Stick with 4.3U. You don't even have a need to downgrade as you have a game with an exploit you can use to re-hack your Wii if need be. More importantly all new Wii's should not be downgraded below SM4.1 firmware as there are timing issues with the new Wii's and the older firmware (apparently the older Wii's actually boot faster lol). So again...stay with SM4.3U or at least do not install any IOSes or SMs that came out before SM4.1.

-[]D

*is this a typo???

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
MagnetMouse said:
Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading* your SM for a higher* SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?
Stick with 4.3U. You don't even have a need to downgrade as you have a game with an exploit you can use to re-hack your Wii if need be. More importantly all new Wii's should not be downgraded below SM4.1 firmware as there are timing issues with the new Wii's and the older firmware (apparently the older Wii's actually boot faster lol). So again...stay with SM4.3U or at least do not install any IOSes or SMs that came out before SM4.1.

-[]D

*is this a typo???
It's the IOS's that are the problem. That's why IOS60 is often installed to all SM IOS slots (besides IOS9, which is still active). IOS60 works on new Wii's that are downgraded and region changed Korean Wii's that are upgraded past 4.1.

@MagnetMouse: If you were to downgrade, 4.1 would be a far more logical choice than 4.2, but it is safer just to stay where you are at. Also, never follow failtube guides! I learned that the hard way back in my newbie days.

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
MagnetMouse said:
Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading* your SM for a higher* SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?Stick with 4.3U. You don't even have a need to downgrade as you have a game with an exploit you can use to re-hack your Wii if need be. More importantly all new Wii's should not be downgraded below SM4.1 firmware as there are timing issues with the new Wii's and the older firmware (apparently the older Wii's actually boot faster lol). So again...stay with SM4.3U or at least do not install any IOSes or SMs that came out before SM4.1.

-[]D

*is this a typo???

Nope, this is verbatim what the video says, hence the confusion. Thanks for the info; will definitely keep that in mind as I go along the re-softmodding process.

JoostinOnline said:
PPSainity said:
QUOTE(MagnetMouse @ May 30 2011, 05:59 PM)

-[]D

*is this a typo???

It's the IOS's that are the problem. That's why IOS60 is often installed to all SM IOS slots (besides IOS9, which is still active). IOS60 works on new Wii's that are downgraded and region changed Korean Wii's that are upgraded past 4.1.

@MagnetMouse: If you were to downgrade, 4.1 would be a far more logical choice than 4.2, but it is safer just to stay where you are at. Also, never follow failtube guides! I learned that the hard way back in my newbie days.

Haha yeah, that's what I did when I initially softmodded my Wii. I'm giving this ModMii a shot; from what I've seen, it seems very well-organized. And thanks - I had a feeling the main issue at hand involved misuses of IOS's.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MagnetMouse said:
Would you recommend downgrading from 4.3U to 4.2 as the video tutorial somewhat (unclearly - "...downgrading your SM for a higher SM can cause bricks on Wiis with boot2v4...") suggests?
Modmii doesn't have a video tutorial. If you're refering to Xflak's avatar: that's degrading a wii. It's very different from downgrading one.

(I couldn't resist
tongue.gif
)

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
MagnetMouse said:
Modmii doesn't have a video tutorial. If you're refering to Xflak's avatar: that's degrading a wii. It's very different from downgrading one.

(I couldn't resist
tongue.gif
)

Partially, it seems to have one. Haha...

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
MagnetMouse said:
So I got to finish up this morning installing ModMii... pretty easy to install, but sadly I'm still getting freezes...
Run sysCheck. After it's done, open SD:\syscheck.csv with WordPad and copy and past the contents into a new post. Please use spoiler tags.

PS: Does anyone know if there is a syscheck guide on here? I'm getting tired of posting instructions each time, and if there isn't one, I'm just going to make one.

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the GX version since the other one froze immediately with distorted lettering across the screen...

==============
sysCheck GX v1.0.0 by Erik Spyder

sysCheck GX is running under IOS58 (rev 6176).

Console ID: 12345678.
Region: NTSC-U.
Hollywood v0x11.
Boot2 v4.
System Menu v513 (4.3U).
BC v6.
MIOS v10.

Found 114 titles.
Found 48 IOS and 3 IOS Stubs on this console.

Priiloader is installed.

IOS 4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS 9 (rev 1034)
IOS 10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS 11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 12 (rev 526)
IOS 13 (rev 1032)
IOS 14 (rev 1032)
IOS 15 (rev 1032)
IOS 16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, FLASH Access, NAND Access
IOS 17 (rev 1032)
IOS 20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 21 (rev 1039)
IOS 22 (rev 1294)
IOS 28 (rev 1807)
IOS 30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 31 (rev 3608)
IOS 33 (rev 3608)
IOS 34 (rev 3608)
IOS 35 (rev 3608)
IOS 36 (rev 3608)
IOS 37 (rev 5663)
IOS 38 (rev 4124)
IOS 40 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 41 (rev 3607)
IOS 43 (rev 3607)
IOS 45 (rev 3607)
IOS 46 (rev 3607)
IOS 48 (rev 4124)
IOS 50 (rev 14889): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS 52 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 53 (rev 5663)
IOS 55 (rev 5663)
IOS 56 (rev 5662)
IOS 57 (rev 5919)
IOS 58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS 60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 61 (rev 5662)
IOS 70 (rev 16687): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 80 (rev 6944): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223 (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS247 (rev 20): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS248 (rev 20): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS249 (rev 21004): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS250 (rev 21004): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281)

Report generated on 2011-05-31.
=====================

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
That's weird. You have some IOS's from mauifrog's guide, but if you had followed it (at least properly), you would have downgraded to 4.1. Did you try running those games on Configurable USB Loader (not GX) with 223? 223 is v4 with base 38 merged with 37, and should work with just about everything (doesn't work with COD:Black Ops).

PS: You been digging through my mediafire account, or did you get the GX one somewhere else?
wink.gif

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been digging through no one's guide/account other than xFlak's ModMii tutorial, lol. And yes, I tried running with Configurable USB Loader... the number that pops up at the bottom right corner upon loading is a 249 though, seems like I should try and change it to 223? Do I accomplish this through "Load another IOS" in MMM? I'll try your suggestion as soon as I can. Thanks!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
MagnetMouse said:
I've been digging through no one's guide/account other than xFlak's ModMii tutorial, lol. And yes, I tried running with Configurable USB Loader... the number that pops up at the bottom right corner upon loading is a 249 though, seems like I should try and change it to 223? Do I accomplish this through "Load another IOS" in MMM? I'll try your suggestion as soon as I can. Thanks!
Press A to select the game, then press 1, select Manage, and change the IOS to 223. Save your changes. Try launching the game.

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished installing the 223 IOS, precisely the one you mentioned. I get two options: one with "mload" and the other, "yal". Both failed.

P.S. The option to change the IOS was accessible through "Options", not "Manage"... sounds like I may have an outdated version?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
MagnetMouse said:
I just finished installing the 223 IOS, precisely the one you mentioned. I get two options: one with "mload" and the other, "yal". Both failed.

P.S. The option to change the IOS was accessible through "Options", not "Manage"... sounds like I may have an outdated version?
No, the GUI just changed and I was going by memory (which was wrong). Previously everything was together.

What happens when you try to launch the games from 223?

PS: What do you mean you just finished installing 223? It was already there when you did the sysCheck.

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other games that had no known issues run fine with "223-mload" enabled. No change was witnessed with the other problematic games.

So the 223 IOS with "mload" is the way to go? "yal" on the other hand results in the error:

IOS(223) yal .....
set_frag: -128
ERROR: SetWBFS: -128

I downloaded an extra .wad from Hermes, one that, according to its title, was merged with 38+37. I'm guessing this was an unnecessary step taken as the required IOS was already installed? (looking at the sysCheck led me to believe that I had another version of the IOS, somehow)

MagnetMouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing that may be of particular interest is that when I hold down the power button, there's a quick interval in which a yellow light is displayed. This, however, occurred days prior to re-softmodding my Wii, but I never gave it much notice. Does this indicate something that could possibly be interfering with the ability to play backups?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: