Hacking Ultimate Super Smash Bros. Brawl burning guide!

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay guys, i have seen many, many people posting about not getting their Brawls to work.
I found a very nice guide made by AvEnGeR-X which told about how to do this, but it wasn't very detailed so i declared to make a very detailed one.
Good, since i've said that, let's begin!

I have taken many of this from the guide made by AvEnGeR-X, which can be found here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91738
I tried to make a more detailed version of his DVD-9 part, all credits are for him, not for me!

What do we need?
-IMGburn (get it from http://www.imgburn.com/ )
-A blank DVD+R DL from Verbatim, notice that it has to be +, and not -! This because it needs a layerbreak, and - is unable to handle that, while + does.
-A burner which is able to burn DL discs with layerbreaks and has DVD-ROM booktype support.
-A few minutes of your life.
-A nice, hot cup of coffee.
-The PAL ISO from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
-(OPTIONAL)The .dvd file (Get it here, and save it for later in this guide: http://supertosti.furion.nl/stuff/Super_Sm...Bros._Brawl.zip)

Good, now that we have all the stuff we need, prepare your hot cup of coffee and read on...

First, we insert the blank DVD+R DL into the burner.
(OPTIONAL: Then, we put the downloaded .dvd file and the .iso into the same folder, and give them both the same name. I.e. Brawl.dvd and Brawl.iso
Then we doubleclick the .dvd file, which will automatically open IMGburn, if not, associate it with IMGburn and it will.
It will load your ISO automatically, if you have renamed both files identical as described above.)

Now we go to Tools, then Settings, then click the tab Write, choose under Layer Break for User Specified and fill this in: 2084960
Now we click OK and we will be back on the main screen. Make sure that you have selected the correct device in the list (The burner with the blank DVD+R DL in it) and put the speed at 2.4x*
If you can't find that speed in your list, then put it on 4x.*
* = I suggest using 2.4x or 4x if you have bad burns at higher speeds, if you have errors while burning at lower speeds, then try higher speeds. See also this thread for more about this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83360
Good, now check the Verify option and click the huge button with the two images and the arrow between it, and it will begin the process!
Now take your already prepared cup of coffee, and enjoy it while you wait for the disc to be ready. Note that this could take a while, so enjoy it slowly!
After burning is complete, it will eject the tray and close it immediately again, don't try to pull out the disc, it's gonna verify the written data, to make sure there are no errors in the burning process!
After that, it will notice you that the burning process has been successfully completed and you may take out the fresh-burned disc out of the drive, then pop it in your Wii, and fire it up!

Enjoy playing your PAL Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and don't forget to give credits to AvEnGeR-X for making this guide possible!

Also check out these 2 topics:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=92572

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sticky? i think so
tongue.gif

Hopefully it might cut down on the brawl help posts.

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shuny said:
NEVER PUT IT HIGHER THEN 4X OR LOWER THEN 2.4X OR ELSE IT WILL FAIL!!

That's stupid, read this : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83360

By the way, some people had problem using layerbreak.

Not really an ultimate guide :/
About that speed, it's known that at a lot of people's burns fail at higher speed, because the speed is building up during the process, and due to that it could give bad burns, if you put it locked on a low speed it don't have much chance to burn faster and faster so the chance that you get a bad burn is decreased. And the people who had problems with the layerbreak had probably DVD-R instead of DVD+R, because DVD-R DOESN'T support layerbreaks. At last, it's an advice, if you want to use your own burning speed, go on. I will change it a bit then. It varies for everyone, because not everyone has the same burner. Sorry for that then, i will change it into an advice, and notice that you may use your own speeds if you have problems with lower speeds.

And still, it's just a guide, the only part you are criticizing is about the burnspeeds and the layerbreak, if you read correctly you see that you will need a burner which is able to burn with layerbreaks (Because some burners can't) I have now edited the guide with the part about the speeds, i hope you like it now.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Koekje said:
Shuny said:

About that speed, it's known that at a lot of people's burns fail at higher speed, because the speed is building up during the process, and due to that it could give bad burns, if you put it locked on a low speed it don't have much chance to burn faster and faster so the chance that you get a bad burn is decreased. And the people who had problems with the layerbreak had probably DVD-R instead of DVD+R, because DVD-R DOESN'T support layerbreaks. At last, it's an advice, if you want to use your own burning speed, go on. I will change it a bit then. It varies for everyone, because not everyone has the same burner. Sorry for that then, i will change it into an advice, and notice that you may use your own speeds if you have problems with lower speeds.

Sometimes, burning at faster speed is better because the burned disc spins faster and is more stable. Also, the best burning speed is often the burning speed indicated on the box/DVD itself. Burning an 16x DVD-R at 2x will give a crappy quality on some configurations because the disc isn't made to be burnt at this speed, it's way too slow.

So it depends, but burning at a slower speed won't always give you the best quality, it's just a legend. I've burned 80% of my DVD-R before testing them with DVDInfoPro.

And the problem with the layerbreak is also known with DVD+R DL

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shuny said:
Koekje said:
Shuny said:

Sometimes, burning at faster speed is better because the burned disc spins faster and is more stable. Also, the best burning speed is often the burning speed indicated on the box/DVD itself. Burning an 16x DVD-R at 2x will give a crappy quality on some configurations because the disc isn't made to be burnt at this speed, it's way too slow.

So it depends, but burning at a slower speed won't always give you the best quality, it's just a legend. I've burned 80% of my DVD-R before testing them with DVDInfoPro.

Hmm, okay. I didn't ran so far into any trouble with the layerbreak with DVD+R DL from Verbatim. Burned a few of them, all fine. And as i just stated, it depends on which burner and configuration you have, that's why i have now edited the guide to let people decide their own speeds.
wink.gif

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Koekje said:
Shuny said:
Koekje said:
Shuny said:

Hmm, okay. I didn't ran so far into any trouble with the layerbreak with DVD+R DL from Verbatim. Burned a few of them, all fine. And as i just stated, it depends on which burner and configuration you have, that's why i have now edited the guide to let people decide their own speeds.
wink.gif

Okay
wink.gif

As I said many times, the best is to make some benchmarks and test with multiples speed : DVDinfopro never lies
biggrin.gif

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shuny said:
Koekje said:
Shuny said:
Koekje said:
Shuny said:

wink.gif

Okay
wink.gif

As I said many times, the best is to make some benchmarks and test with multiples speed : DVDinfopro never lies
biggrin.gif
Jep, i just wanted to make things clear, because a lot of people were posting about this, and i wanted to sort it all out to prevent the creating of 100's more topics about this. I were also spitting out a lot of topics before i found the working solution (See first topic at the end of the guide). I guess a lot of people are doing the same and are getting frustrated of the fact that they have trouble finding something nice that's working.
smile.gif

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chanser said:
I've burnt mine at 10x no problems.
Mine does always give problems if i go faster then 4x, i don't know why. It's something you need to find out for yourself. Once you know the best speed to use with your burner, it's best to keep on using that, until it comes up with errors of course.
wink.gif

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shuny said:
What discs did you use ?
I always use Verbatim DVD+R (DL) for all my Wii games. I tried Platinum once, it worked fine but the Wii is a LOT more noisier then when i use Verbatims, so that's why i dont use Platinum anymore. Also after some time (A month or 2) they instantly gives DRE's where they worked fine the previous days, and i can throw them away. I didn't ran into any DRE's with Verbatims.

(For normal DVD+R i have 16x speed, for DL i have 8x discs)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the guides a bit patronising EG "the big button" etc, also it is laid out badly and hard to follow.

It misses out LOADS of things, like some chips require certain updates, and some don't.

As for including the .dvd file, well ALL that does is the layer break for you, (open it in notepad and look).

It is nice seeing someone take the effort to contribute to the site, but really all this guide does is skim over some of the other topics already here, which in fact have better info.

Just my opinion, and I hope you can take this as constructive criticism to improve you guide(s).
wink2.gif

Koekje

OP
Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Slimmmmmm said:
I think the guides a bit patronising EG "the big button" etc, also it is laid out badly and hard to follow.

It misses out LOADS of things, like some chips require certain updates, and some don't.

As for including the .dvd file, well ALL that does is the layer break for you, (open it in notepad and look).

It is nice seeing someone take the effort to contribute to the site, but really all this guide does is skim over some of the other topics already here, which in fact have better info.

Just my opinion, and I hope you can take this as constructive criticism to improve you guide(s).
wink2.gif
Well, since the button doesn't have any text in it like "Burn" or "Start" i tried to describe which one you needed to press.
wacko.gif

About chips and their updates, i can't provide anyone with that information as i don't have a Wii with a chip that requires updates (D2Pro), but i guess chips like the WiiKey just needs the last update available, as always.

"but really all this guide does is skim over some of the other topics already here, which in fact have better info." I tried to merge all that scattered pieces in topics into 1 topic like this, because there were of course some topics which were also saying all this, but most of the times it's just somewhere in the comments and hard to find, that's why i made this so people don't have to spit out several topics before having a guide or something, gotcha?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: