UK's Digital Economy Bill

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kicknhorse

kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    North Somerset
    You know, we are not all of the same 'generation' so to speak. There are many members here from other eras.

Also some of us would love to have been young in other decades, but we are all here now for a reason. There is no way we can live in another time.

A lot of people do whine, yes, however, people always have. People are also taking action in some sense, not so much as we maybe should, or maybe would have done, but it is still something.

It is more the act of privacy (I agree with hunnymonster). I don't want someone to look through my data just to 'see if there is anything illegal' there. It's sick. It follows the New Amerikana way of thinking which is 'guilty until proven innocent'.

This is not the way to run a justice system, this is not the way to run a country or agency.

2. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    How any people have actually read the Bill itself? If you read the Bill it doesn't give copyright owners the right to snoop on your activity. It allows them to get a list of your activity once they have provided proof that you are pirating their stuff. It doesn't allow anyone to look through your data "just in case", proof has to be provided by the copyright owner first.

There is no presumption of guilty before innocent. They already have to have a log of your IP and proof of infringing copyright before they can submit a data request.

"(3) A “copyright infringement report” is a report that—

(a) states that there appears to have been an infringement of the
    owner’s copyright;

(b) includes a description of the apparent infringement;

Â includes evidence of the apparent infringement that shows the
    subscriber’s IP address and the time at which the evidence was
    gathered; and

(d) complies with any other requirement of the initial obligations
    code."

3. Am0s

Am0s Mojo Risin

Jul 9, 2009
    England
    its a proven fact that piracy does in fact does promote sales and alot of people do buy the original article, as an original is worth keeping, and a copy well is worthless.

@the other guy about blocking usenet, yes some indexing sites are going down, and only for NZB there are many other ways to find stuff on usenet not just by NZB like actually updating the group or super search for instance, I can only see these asshole governments going after the smaller guy like indexing sites and what not, they cant take on the beast of usenet something that has been around since the late 70's guess the "creative industry" want another bribe from usenet huh

4. Sleepy_Sheep

Sleepy_Sheep Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2010
    Antrim, Northern Ireland.
    Sad but true.

5. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gallifrey
    That's my TARDIS. I'm not letting him in.

6. Seicomart

Seicomart GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    I typically download 2 terrabytes of "stuff" a month, could do more but don't spend the time to go searching for more.

Now this Bill is coming, I'll be building a new tower this weekend with 12 terrabytes of storage (almost twice that of my current most capacious of our towers) and will rape my line as hard as humanly possible.

Share and Enjoy people, just protect your packets ; )

7. Trevordublin

Trevordublin Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2010
    Thank god Ireland got its independence from the UK [​IMG] . This is a outrage and the pepole in the UK should not stand for this... [​IMG]

8. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    Well fuck. Good thing I don't download from silly places. SSL and HTTPS for me!

9. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    god bless Lebanon and its insecure network infrastructure, dynamic IP's, and ancient PPPoE connections.

i somewhat feel privileged to have this liberty of downloading anything, and getting away with it

meh i guess there is still Reverse SSH Tunneling for those that may be affected

looks like i left England in time.

10. iamthemilkman

iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2010
    United States
    Thanks, Gordon Brown. Ya New World Order loon.

11. TrolleyDave

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    That's the one! The only people this Bill is likely to affect are those that use filesharing, like public torrents and the like. If you're not using a system that grants copyright owners access to your IP then they have no proof. Personally I think most of this is being blown way out of proportion to what's in the actual Bill. I hate the government, but fear mongering and blowing the Bill out of proportion will only hamper the effect of any protest because it makes people look ill-informed and ranting! lol

--------------------

Oh and for anyone who can actually be bothered to read the Bill itself here it is. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/l...10001.i-ii.html

12. Sanderino

Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Sep 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    the Netherlands
    Question. If I lived in the UK, and that was a law, and I downloaden a NDS rom or a CD, how would they notice?

13. Anakir

Anakir Project: Melee

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Canada.
    Chances are, they won't be able to disconnect you when its something as small as an NDS rom. When you're downloading something around 1gb and higher, it would seem much more suspicious.

That's why people split the files and rename it so they can't tell what it is.

14. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    this

mostly this is against bit torrent though, all they do is connect to the torrent and grab the list of IPs of who is downloading.

15. TrolleyDave

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    You know how when you download torrents you can see peoples IP address on the share list? That's how they will know. It's basically the same way they've been catching people for years in the States.

edit : UltraMagnus beat me to it! lol

16. Sanderino

Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Sep 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    the Netherlands
    Thanks for answering Anakir, damn, hope such a nasty thing ain't coming to the Netherlands. That would suck big time, for me at least.

17. purechaos996

purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Connecticut
    This law is kinda stupid. The fact that people who have unprotected Wi-Fi can go to jail for a crime they didnt commit is bogus I highly doubt this law will last for a long time, but I do see alot of Law suits about this happening, It is something to keep an eye on though but who knows how effective this will be anyway.

18. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Purgatory
    Saw this from TalkTalk earlier -

Whether that's a major ISP making a stand against the DEB or just a cynical attempt to grab more customers in the year before it comes into effect is anyone's guess.

Source

19. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    There's a fundamental flaw in this bill. My IP address currently says that I am on a Carphone Warehouse Broadband service and located in Manchester when I am, in fact, on AOL Broadband and near Aberdeen. IP Addresses are relatively random as to who and where they locate you, heck mine changes ever time I turn off the Router. I guess its assigned to my connection and bill so they can trace me but my main problem is this: I don't really pirate that much. The odd PC game or single MP3 file but my big brother pirates a good bit. Any Anime I wish to watch which is available legally streaming from the internet must be pirated in Britian because the sites block anything but American IPs. I do not want this shaky, easily avoided bill in law.

20. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Zimbabwe
    Ragol
    Go TalkTalk. I thought they was useless but not any more [​IMG]

My mum has a talk about this before, I told her I know.
    She was like "What do you use for downloading? IT BETTER NOT BE TORRENTS"
    I lol'd