Ukraine accused of dog slaughter

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by smile72, Oct 24, 2011.

Oct 24, 2011
  1. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Opinion??????

Source:Associated Press

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_UKRAINE_DOG_KILLING?SITE=WUSA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-24-06-37-27

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    While a good article, I'm moving this to GOTC. It's a bit off the beaten path for USN.

Still, I do hope that they solve this issue. I know stray dogs are an issue but using such cruel methods to solve it is highly inhumane.

3. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Arg can you snip the story even a bit? The main points would be nice... :I

Also in regards to the problem of stray dogs, it is quite a big problem in areas where the is no catching of stray (household) animal. Inhumane nevertheless.

A fast injection would be tolerable, but that could be regarded as torture..

1 person likes this.
  4. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Well, there are a lot of homeless dogs outside, and no one can afford to do an injection.

5. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    This article would be served well with a TL;DR. Regardless, I read.

While it is a horrible thing to kill stray dogs, it's also a very hard situation to deal with. On the one hand, they're a safety and health hazard, especially considering that the industry is VERY likely going to bring more foreigners into the country.

On the other hand, it presents a very big ethical dilemma. It's not as simple as deporting these stray dogs out of Ukraine: it's too expensive in the long term, and it takes far too much time. Capturing them is not ethically viable from Ukraine's POV, since it'd be a very unpopular decision. Also, the risk of something going wrong (like the capturers getting attacked, or dogs escaping to the public) is likely pretty high.

Considering these options from economic standpoints, it almost makes sense for Ukraine to slaughter stray dogs: what else will they do to deal with the issue?
    Consider the following: You're in a foreign country with many stray dogs, possibly out on the country side. You walk past one, but you did not notice it was growling and made a mangled angry face. The unthinkable happens: the dog attacks you, and bites your legs to the flesh. So what are your options? Access to a hospital may be difficult due to language, and they may not necesarily know what disease the dog could've given you, and even if they do know, they might not even have a vaccine for it for a few days.

So tell me: what do you do?

My brother went through this process when my family was out in the rainforest in South America. There were stray dogs, and the nearest medic was 15 km's away. Considering the amount of stray dogs, and the lack of vaccines for dogs there, it's almost unbelievable that my brother did not get any diseases while there. It took two days before he could get any vaccine: before that, all they could really do was disinfect the wound the dog had caused.

Again, there are MANY things to consider here. Certainly an interesting topic to debate.

~Ace™

6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You're actually expecting people to read that? Fuuuuuuck that!

Anyways, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was true. I remember a couple years ago I was on YouTube, and I found this video of Asians (because I don't know what country it was) skinning dogs alive, it was brutal.

1 person likes this.
  7. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Thats why the human is cruel anddisgusting! The people sucks! Seriously! Very sadly! (ANGRY)

8. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    Wow thats a long article, cant believe I read it all and lived through it :blink:

9. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Killing dogs is horrible. Those people are monsters.

Now excuse me while I eat a bacon cheeseburger.

10. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Sometimes the Human Race can be so unbelievably inhuman...

Seriously, people like these need to just drop dead without warning. I cannot stand animal abusers....they enrage me quicker than anything else.

11. Crimson Ghoul

Member Crimson Ghoul GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's bad and there is probably a more human to do it but I guess that's the most inexpensive way

12. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Presumably, you did not torture the cow and pig for two hours before killing it. The issue at hand is inhumane killing, not killing in general.