UK women calls 999 (911) because of a stolen snowman.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A woman who dialled 999 to report the theft of a snowman from outside her home has been branded "completely irresponsible" by Kent Police. The force said the woman, from Chatham, thought the incident required their involvement because she used pound coins for eyes and teaspoons for arms. During the call the woman said: "It ain't a nice road but you don't expect someone to nick your snowman." Kent Police said officers had given her advice on real 999 emergencies. The force said the call was made at the same time as operators fielded thousands of other phone calls about the heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures in the county. During the conversation she said: "There's been a theft from outside my house."I haven't been out to check on him for five hours but I went outside for a fag and he's gone." When she was asked who had gone, the woman replied: "My snowman. I thought that with it being icy and there not being anybody about, he'd be safe." She was then asked whether it was an ornament, and answered: "No, a snowman made of snow, I made him myself."It ain't a nice road but at the end of the day, you don't expect someone to nick your snowman, you know what I mean?" The operator then told her she had rung an emergency line and she should not be calling it to report the theft of a snowman. Ch Insp Simon Black said: "This call could have cost someone's life if there was a genuine emergency and they couldn't get through."It was completely irresponsible."We have spoken to her".[/p]

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it, did the snowman melt or did it actually get stolen? I wouldn't be surprised if the eyes got stolen though, that's 2 pound coins.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they only wanted the $ serves her right for using bloody $ and silveware for a stupid snowman of course it's gonna get nicked!
laugh.gif

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but... Why take the entire snowman? I don't know anyone who wouldn't just take the coins and maybe the spoons. Given reports of below freezing temperatures around the same time, it probably didn't just melt.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Who would steal a snowman? I get the coin and the spoon but the entire snowman? How are you going to transport it?

Very funny that this made it to 911.
laugh.gif

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow what a moron... I don't know about you guys areas, but in my Area when you call 911 for nothing, they actually charge you. Not so sure of the sum. They should of done this to her...

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
laugh.gif
I think this was in the paper the other day (or news, or something). Funny fail.

DeMoN said:
I don't get it, did the snowman melt or did it actually get stolen? I wouldn't be surprised if the eyes got stolen though, that's 2 pound coins.
One of the first things that came across our minds was imagining that it had actually just melted instead.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This news article leaves me with a great many questions. Why would someone report a stolen snowman? Why would someone steal a snowman? Most interestingly though, it makes me wonder just what constitutes a "theft", and what the local police will define as such. Technically it was on her property, she did build it (making it a pseudo-piece of art), and it included household items. Without question it is not an important "item", but I'm willing to bet that if someone made a statue out of cement and had it stolen, reporting it to the police would have them respond.

Of course I'm not saying they should have taken this seriously, just that its an interesting point that one homemade item made out of a substance could be considered valuable, and another is scoffed at. Both took time and effort. Its an altogether arbitrary set of guidelines it seems, which is interesting to note.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
As much as this story might be OMG SO RANDOM LOL XD for some, I'm not really surprised since I live in the UK.

EDIT: In the call, she sounds like a council estate teenage mum.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
This news article leaves me with a great many questions. Why would someone report a stolen snowman? Why would someone steal a snowman? Most interestingly though, it makes me wonder just what constitutes a "theft", and what the local police will define as such. Technically it was on her property, she did build it (making it a pseudo-piece of art), and it included household items. Without question it is not an important "item", but I'm willing to bet that if someone made a statue out of cement and had it stolen, reporting it to the police would have them respond.

Of course I'm not saying they should have taken this seriously, just that its an interesting point that one homemade item made out of a substance could be considered valuable, and another is scoffed at. Both took time and effort. Its an altogether arbitrary set of guidelines it seems, which is interesting to note.

Even if you could consider it a legitimate theft due to the items used and the time (labor) involved in creating it, she could have still used a non-emergency police number to report it.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once you hear the woman's voice the story becomes less surprising.

"What kind of woman would call 999 for such a trivial matter?"
(Hears voice)
"Oh. That kind."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn