tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
UK retailers to ban Steam games.
Boo hoo, we wanted that monopoly
According to a report on trade site MCV, two "big-name digital retailers" for the PC market are staring down the barrel of financial ruin, while two major British retailers are reportedly considering a ban on games that include Steam integration.

"Publishers don't give a shit, they don't care what happens to the customer. Which is the crucial point, because Steam do," the director of "a fledgling Steam rival" told the site. A fledgling rival, eh? Direct2Drive, perhaps? GamersGate? Impulse, maybe?

The criticism of Steam - an online multiplayer platform and digital shopfront run by Half-Life developers Valve - doesn't stop there.

"I've fought hard for my customer, and never before have I had to give my customers away. Steam is killing the PC market and it is no wonder digital retailers are failing", the unnamed director continues.

"Steam is locking down the market."

See, here's where these digital competitors have it wrong. Yes, it's hardly an ideal set of circumstances that a single company is effectively taking over the mainstream PC downloadable market. More competition would be good for everyone. But there's a reason Steam is so dominant: it's the only service that's doing things right.

The sooner competing services quit bitching and start putting together comparable platforms where you can shop, play and communicate as easily as you can on Steam, the sooner we'll take their criticisms as something more than just sour grapes.

As for the bricks-and-mortar retailers, there are reportedly fears that selling boxed copies of games that include mandatory Steam integration is only going to encourage customers to not only shop online in the future, but shop with Steam, which is a competitor to these own retailer's digital shopfront ambitions.

As a result of this, "two major retailers" in the UK are threatening publishers that they will cease stocking games that include such a requirement in any form.

Source

Contributed by cwstjdenobs

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tempbot said:
As a result of this, "two major retailers" in the UK are threatening publishers that they will cease stocking games that include such a requirement in any form.

icon11.gif
Source

Contributed by cwstjdenobs
Nice plan. Give them a reason to shop online using steam. Soooo smart.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stop stocking steam games, like that's much of a threat. Shops hardly sell pc games anyway, pc normally gets a crappy little shelf at the back of the shop, with a few old or budget titles collecting dust on it. Rest of the shelves just get filled with the used copies of console games that they try sell you all the time.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick! Call the whaaaambulance! Someone's poor business model is all butthurt! I think it's bleeding!
Sheesh...

Tempbot said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the "Steam-requirement" games made by Valve themselves? Like Portal and Left 4 Dead? Not being able to promote yourself through your own games would be very dumb.

Long live Steam.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Umm... Who cares? By stopping the retail sales of Steam games, you'll be increasing the online market for them.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
injected11 said:
Tempbot said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the "Steam-requirement" games made by Valve themselves? Like Portal and Left 4 Dead? Not being able to promote yourself through your own games would be very dumb.

I think they are also counting all the games where Steam is optional.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Armadillo said:
Stop stocking steam games, like that's much of a threat. Shops hardly sell pc games anyway, pc normally gets a crappy little shelf at the back of the shop, with a few old or budget titles collecting dust on it. Rest of the shelves just get filled with the used copies of console games that they try sell you all the time.
That's why EBGames here usually have $10 sales for pristine old titles
biggrin.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
injected11 said:
You are wrong. All Valve games requires Steam obviously, but there's also a fair share of Steamworks games made by other companies that requires Steam to active their titles.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
injected11 said:

Long live Steam.

No, not all of them are made by valve. Any games that use steamworks needs it. Modern warfare 2, black ops, fallout new vegas , just cause 2 all need steam and are not valve games, pretty sure there's more than just them, but they are all I can remember now.

Bah, beaten
frown.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Well this is good news. As much as I like Steam, I think it is pretty horrible to see games that absolutely require Steamworks.
Learn to crack Steam? I'm pretty good at it.
Though for me its for fun an kinda an emergency plan as I've spent at least 300$ on my Steam account.

Slightly more on topic:
I have not purchased any PC games from retailers within the last 4 years.
Which also coincides with when I got Steam.

I don't plan to get any games in the future because I have no DVD drive.

My computer does not meet the minimum requirements for disc-based games.
rolleyes.gif

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. This makes so much sense. Stop stocking things that require or have Steam. Then you REALLY won't have a chance at getting their money. At least with stocking them, you have something of a chance.

Gah, greedy morons.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tl;dr version: "Steam is kicking our asses. Let's ban their games."

Cry me a river. If Steam is doing great and you guys are losing customers and stuff, and you have to try and get their stuff banned for whatever reason, you shouldn't be in that business.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
tl;dr version: "Steam is kicking our asses. Let's ban their games."

Cry me a river. If Steam is doing great and you guys are losing customers and stuff, and you have to try and get their stuff banned for whatever reason, you shouldn't be in that business.

Yeah! Who needs any store except Wal-Mart!

Small business is for PUSSIES!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."