making notes on everything
OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
1003150_705418072820982_820142889_n.jpg

Under the terms of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, religious organizations will have to "opt in" to offering weddings, with the Church of England and Church of Wales being banned in law from doing so.​
MPs decided not to oppose a number of minor changes agreed by the House of Lords.​
Among these were protections for transgender couples, which will allow people to change sex and remain married.​

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23338279

Reactions: LightyKD and redact

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Whilst the play on words is clever, the topic title is still infuriating as the Queen has nothing to do with any political changes and it gives the wrong impression to people who are unfamiliar with UK law. She may ceremonially nod her head but she's just a token figurehead with no power...other than to cream money from the nation.

Reactions: 2ndApex

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Whilst the play on words is clever, the topic title is still infuriating as the Queen has nothing to do with any political changes and it gives the wrong impression to people who are unfamiliar with UK law. She may ceremonially nod her head but she's just a token figurehead with no power...other than to cream money from the nation.

Technically she opens the Parliment session, signs Acts of Parliment, approves Orders in Council, holds meetings with the Prime Miniser, receives ambassadors or foreign rulers and is a representative of the nation, however yes - the Queen cannot pass legislature all by herself and her impact on UK policies is minimal. She may use her power of Veto to block certain decisions from passing, but that's about it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Technically she opens the Parliment session, signs Acts of Parliment, approves Orders in Council, holds meetings with the Prime Miniser, receives ambassadors or foreign rulers and is a representative of the nation, however yes - the Queen cannot pass legislature all by herself and her impact on UK policies is minimal. She may use her power of Veto to block certain decisions from passing, but that's about it.

Technically yes, but if she ever exercised such powers there'd be a mass revolt. I may be wrong but i believe the last time a British monarch had a role in UK politics was back in 1708...she's a token figurehead who has no impact upon the UK other than to annoy those who don't want a Royal family sitting in their ivory towers. Royal prerogative seems powerful but it's actual value is nothing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Technically yes, but if she ever exercised such powers there'd be a mass revolt. I may be wrong but i believe the last time a British monarch had a role in UK politics was back in 1708...she's a token figurehead who has no impact upon the UK other than to annoy those who don't want a Royal family sitting in their ivory towers. Royal prerogative seems powerful but it's actual value is nothing.

She does use her power of Veto and so does Prince Charles, however until recently the documentation regarding this was secret.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

Of course this doesn't mean that they're not playing the role of puppets - most of the time they do. After all, they rely on advisors.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
She does use her power of Veto and so does Prince Charles, however until recently the documentation regarding this was secret.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

Of course this doesn't mean that they're not playing the role of puppets - most of the time they do. After all, they rely on advisors.

Everyone in a position of power relies on advisors in some way or another...

I was aware of certain tax documents that were heavily redacted where Charles had been involved but must confess to being blissfully ignorant in regards to the true extent on the Queen's interference. If you look at what she actually can meddle with it appears to boil down to things that involve redistribution of taxation (in essence wanting to protect some of her revenue stream) and the SUPER decisions like major military changes. I'd almost put money on her being against gay marriage purely on a generational basis but i doubt her mandate extends that far.

Either way those things were kept hushed for a reason and it's not because the majority of the UK love her lots.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Either way those things were kept hushed for a reason and it's not because the majority of the UK love her lots.

Well, obviously. The power of Veto was invented to protect the interests of the crown first and foremost, that's why the acts that affect the crown in any way are the ones reviewed - this stretches from financial responsibility to the image of the monarchy. That being said, the Veto may be used to protect the population from acts that aren't very "popular" among the monarch's subjects... if the monarch is in a good mood, that is. :P

Ok, ok... let's not get off topic. A MAJOR UK public figure supports same sex marriage and that's a good thing.
Very true, we were just debating on how much of an impact that may have.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, ok... let's not get off topic. A MAJOR UK public figure supports same sex marriage and that's a good thing.

That's kind of what we were discussing...the topic title is misleading since there's no indication that this has anything to do with the Queen at all. It might have, but then again it may not.

Reactions: DS1

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, it's not a big deal...tons of Americans think the Queen rules England anyway....either way I don't care about the Queen,or U.K. politics, but I am glad for gay couples in the U.K. I wish the U.S. actually cared about civil rights, but our politicians are too busy whacking off to the bible and guns (the only two real amendments, oh who am I kidding 1.25 amendments) So I'm jealous right now.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Reactions: NahuelDS and Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1