UK Queen Approves Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Pong20302000, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Pong20302000
    OP

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    [​IMG]

Under the terms of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, religious organizations will have to "opt in" to offering weddings, with the Church of England and Church of Wales being banned in law from doing so.​
    MPs decided not to oppose a number of minor changes agreed by the House of Lords.​
    Among these were protections for transgender couples, which will allow people to change sex and remain married.​

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23338279

LightyKD and mercluke like this.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yay!

I personally don't believe in marriages but this is great news!

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Duh. I mean, of course gay marriage would be approved by a queen.

4. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Whilst the play on words is clever, the topic title is still infuriating as the Queen has nothing to do with any political changes and it gives the wrong impression to people who are unfamiliar with UK law. She may ceremonially nod her head but she's just a token figurehead with no power...other than to cream money from the nation.

2ndApex likes this.
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Technically she opens the Parliment session, signs Acts of Parliment, approves Orders in Council, holds meetings with the Prime Miniser, receives ambassadors or foreign rulers and is a representative of the nation, however yes - the Queen cannot pass legislature all by herself and her impact on UK policies is minimal. She may use her power of Veto to block certain decisions from passing, but that's about it.

6. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    Technically yes, but if she ever exercised such powers there'd be a mass revolt. I may be wrong but i believe the last time a British monarch had a role in UK politics was back in 1708...she's a token figurehead who has no impact upon the UK other than to annoy those who don't want a Royal family sitting in their ivory towers. Royal prerogative seems powerful but it's actual value is nothing.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    She does use her power of Veto and so does Prince Charles, however until recently the documentation regarding this was secret.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

Of course this doesn't mean that they're not playing the role of puppets - most of the time they do. After all, they rely on advisors.

8. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    Everyone in a position of power relies on advisors in some way or another...

I was aware of certain tax documents that were heavily redacted where Charles had been involved but must confess to being blissfully ignorant in regards to the true extent on the Queen's interference. If you look at what she actually can meddle with it appears to boil down to things that involve redistribution of taxation (in essence wanting to protect some of her revenue stream) and the SUPER decisions like major military changes. I'd almost put money on her being against gay marriage purely on a generational basis but i doubt her mandate extends that far.

Either way those things were kept hushed for a reason and it's not because the majority of the UK love her lots.

9. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Ok, ok... let's not get off topic. A MAJOR UK public figure supports same sex marriage and that's a good thing.

Foxi4 likes this.
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Well, obviously. The power of Veto was invented to protect the interests of the crown first and foremost, that's why the acts that affect the crown in any way are the ones reviewed - this stretches from financial responsibility to the image of the monarchy. That being said, the Veto may be used to protect the population from acts that aren't very "popular" among the monarch's subjects... if the monarch is in a good mood, that is. :P

Very true, we were just debating on how much of an impact that may have.

11. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    i am not gay but, i cant believe is taken this long for a civil society to approve same sex marriage. if the human race wants to do great things. small things like this is a great big step in the right direction.

2ndApex, DinohScene and Black-Ice like this.
  12. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    That's kind of what we were discussing...the topic title is misleading since there's no indication that this has anything to do with the Queen at all. It might have, but then again it may not.

DS1 likes this.
  13. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    Meh, it's not a big deal...tons of Americans think the Queen rules England anyway....either way I don't care about the Queen,or U.K. politics, but I am glad for gay couples in the U.K. I wish the U.S. actually cared about civil rights, but our politicians are too busy whacking off to the bible and guns (the only two real amendments, oh who am I kidding 1.25 amendments) So I'm jealous right now.

14. Bake

Bake GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2008
    Croatia
    Who is this again?

15. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    It's the bloody Queen of England, dammit!

16. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    There hasn't been a 'Queen of England' since 1707.

ComeTurismO likes this.
  17. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    alrighty then, who wants to get me uk citizenship via marriage?

18. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Interesting how things are going to play out now. We might see an increase in countries apart of the commonwealth following her lead.

19. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    LOVE the OP picture! -also, Go Queenie!

20. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina

NahuelDS and Foxi4 like this.