UK police warns those who post "hate crime" and threatens users with "criminal offences"

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 17,800
  • Replies 361
  • Likes 15

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, these two things are equivalents.

Maybe you shouldn't be on the Internet if you're so worried about *gasp* insults. Or maybe we can find you a safe space somewhere.
Me personally, i wouldn't call death threats as a form of free speech because that's threatening to take someones right to life away. And one's rights to life, speech, ect. can not be used to silence another person's right to life, speech, ect.

Insults? Yes, free speech. Anyone who is offended by words needs to grow a pair.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course they can do more... although i can't think of anything either. lol

1. Sometimes that happens. People fight for certain things fora long time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you believe in something, you shouldn't just quit believing in it or quit protesting. Fight for the change you want to see in the world. I might call someone an idiot for fighting for a certain cause, but i'd never tell them to stop.
3. This should never be done. This would be silencing someone's right to speech. Unless the protesters are violent or disturbing the peace. If that's the case, then I would have a lot of fun with a taser and pepper spray. (Only if i'm provoked though. I don't advocate the start of any violence)
3. How exactly would they be removed? If they do something illegal, than that's obvious. But I can't think of any reason a politician would be impeached. Typically, if a politician does not satisfy his constituents, then they wouldn't get a second term.

Any ways, i think we got off topic of the subject of "Speech."

1. I can agree with that
2. Not disagreeing here either.
3. In a perfect political system, a leader with overwhelming negativity should be removed from their position.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Me personally, i wouldn't call death threats as a form of free speech because that's threatening to take someones right to life away. And one's rights to life, speech, ect. can not be used to silence another person's right to life, speech, ect.

Insults? Yes, free speech. Anyone who is offended by words needs to grow a pair.

But balls are pretty fragile dude.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I can agree with that
2. Not disagreeing here either.
3. In a perfect political system, a leader with overwhelming negativity should be removed from their position.

3. Yes in a perfect world. Although nowadays, everyone is quite split. Sometimes evenly or sometimes one has a big majority but not like a 99 to 1 ratio.
Evil people should not be in office, i agree. But i can't think of a time when someone like who we are talking about has been democratically elected into office and had to be removed. If you can name someone, I would love to know. Just for the sake of learning. No disrespect to you.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3. Yes in a perfect world. Although nowadays, everyone is quite split. Sometimes evenly or sometimes one has a big majority but not like a 99 to 1 ratio.
Evil people should not be in office, i agree. But i can't think of a time when someone like who we are talking about has been democratically elected into office and had to be removed. If you can name someone, I would love to know. Just for the sake of learning. No disrespect to you.

Well probably not seeing as how hate speech laws are commonplace in the western world, and we have yet to see serious censorship other than in Germany.:P

Reactions: Stephano

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well probably not seeing as how hate speech laws are commonplace in the western world, and we have yet to see serious censorship other than in Germany.:P
Well, that is good you haven't seen any censorship. Now, while you may have your own believes, all i can ask is that you not let anyone censor you and not be afraid to speak. The world is getting more frail everyday. Life is hard and people are rude and it all just sucks. That is reality. People try to hide this and it just can't be hidden. The sooner people realize this, the stronger we all become.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I even only talk about the Internet lol?
Well you are here on the interenet, are you not? There are a lot of mean things said on the internet. If it bothers you so much, you should cut the cable and move to a nice safe-space. I hear the Amish are rather friendly people, and you won't be tempted with the internet full of mean people when you are living amongst them.

Last edited by grossaffe,

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To correct myself, they actually didn't delete the tweet. It's on there and with over 5k comments.

View attachment 93756

Source: https://twitter.com/wiltshirepolice/status/889585359297945602

Completely. Another UK police branch has said that if any citizens are found with knives or w/e for protection they will be arrested.

More at: https://twitter.com/polNewsForever/status/890193193962262529

bruh none of this makes sense
people aren't even allowed to carry like a pocket knife if some guy charges at them?
this is just making everyone have no way to defend themselves if someone wants to kill people.
the guys who commit crimes will still find a way, no anti-knife law will stop it

also i ain't no wild yee-haw gun advocate but i think cops that patrol normal areas in the UK should be allowed to have pistols.
If you find some giant carrying a shotgun, the cops should be able to fight back rather than just yelling "put down your gun" and having their brains get blown out
sure police brutality exists, but them having guns still saves quite a lot of lives

Last edited by orangy57,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll keep my freedom of shitbagness any day over being in a place like North Korea where the censorship is so bad you'll get shot if your caught with any media from the south.
I complain about the weather all the time, but I would rather live all my life under this shitty sunless rainy place than boarding a spaceship directly to the sun.

PS: but what about some holidays in some sunny resort?.... no!, to the sun! let's go to the extremes!

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
one is the attack of an individual.
the other is an attack of an ideology.

It's not vague at all.
What if you're criticizing someone as a person, for example, the Prime Minister? What if you just don't like someone and you say that to them (i.e. call your ex a "cheating bitch")? If the person you say it to is of another ethnicity, couldn't that also be interpreted as "hate speech" in a court of law, especially by a cunning lawyer? I think the wording is pretty vague.

Imo, there isn't any good way to police for harmful language without also allowing political adversaries or those who dislike someone from "trolling" the system. Language is highly, highly subjective. Once person could find a certain statement offensive while another person, even of the same ethnicity, could care less. Language changes over time, and what might be offensive once might later be an accepted term (i.e. calling an LGBT individual a "queer"). Even if you were to get accurate wording at one point, I think the dynamism of language itself would render that wording inaccurate at a later date. Therefore, "hate speech" laws can be very harmful. One dastardly usage I could think of is a political using a hate speech law to silence their detractors. Lawyers can be very, very crafty, especially with loose language. This is why I think hate speech laws just do not work.

We should rename American "freedom of speech" in "freedom of shitbag-ness"

See above as to why any attempt to limit freedom of speech could be detrimental and have unintended consequences.
There will always be idiots and douchebags, but freedom of speech should never be questioned. One day it's silencing hate speech, the next day it's silencing political dissent. I can't get on board with any attempt to censor speech.
The douchebags should be dealt with on a social level. They should be socially changed, not forced to change through laws. Banning them from being dumbasses doesn't stop them from being dumbasses. Rather, social change does, and it creates a ripple effect throughout communities. If you want to deal with haters, you can't do it by force, it never works.

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i know you're not allowed to carry knives soon
Not true, you can't carry knifes with a non-folding blade over 3 inches long

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Indeed, but at the same time, political correctness needs to be toned down a bit IMO. Just my two cents.
Eh... recently I've been seeing "political correctness" used as a synonym for "politeness," so I'm wary to agree there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol