• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

UK officially to start HK visa scheme sunday

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UK announced a visa scheme last year that would allow holders of the BN(O) passport in Hong Kong to live and work in the UK and open a path to citizenship. The scheme is now set to go into affect Sunday. The process will start with finger printing at local consular offices.

China has cried foul and called this a breach of international law. Boris Johnson for his part has said he is happy to recognize the UK's relationship with the people of HK and the two nations' shared values and history.

The scheme could allow for about 5 million new arrivals including BN(O) eligible citizens and their dependents, but is expected to draw significantly fewer people. At its maximum that would be a group of people about the size of scotland.

So what do you guys think? Is this a breach of international law? How many people do you think will take advantage of this scheme?

https://www.reuters.com/article/BigStory12/idUSKBN29Y00R

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
China has cried foul and called this a breach of international law.
Oh no, a bunch of HK citizens who do not want to be ruled over by an Authoritarian "Communist" regime wants to gain citizenship to a democratic country! I guess being able to criticize your own gov, and not vanish over night sounds mighty tempting. Anything that makes the CCP booty blasted is a good thing to me.

Good on the UK!

Reminder, this is what happens when you dare say something bad about the glorious leader in China.

Last edited by Viri,

Deleted member 507653

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good idea to summarize the article in good faith, I think.

It sounds like a smart move on UK's part seeing as how they will be generating a lot of easy money -- $350 per visa that lasts 5 years with no guarantee of citizenship, under the guise of human rights. Not to mention those who have the means to immigrate will be mostly upper middle class and educated.

Now, the outcome may be positive but we should not fall into the delusion that international politics ever comes solely from compassion.

It's fun reading all the big brain thoughts, but what are your thoughts X?

Last edited by Deleted member 507653,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good idea to summarize the article in good faith, I think.

It sounds like a smart move on UK's part seeing as how they will be generating a lot of easy money -- $350 per visa that lasts 5 years with no guarantee of citizenship, under the guise of human rights. Not to mention those who have the means to immigrate will be mostly upper middle class and educated.

Now, the outcome may be positive but we should not fall into the delusion that international politics ever comes solely from compassion.

It's fun reading all the big brain thoughts, but what are your thoughts X?
To paraphrase notimp, I think it will bring a lot of highly skilled labor to the UK the likes of which they will mostly no longer have access to from the EU

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Brain drain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_capital_flight

extraordinaire = extraordinary: could be read as 'the opposite of ordinary" - its not ordinary - its extra-ordinary, so mundane, but also a little bit special, also - the french phrasing used - to add more pizzazz. To make it more of a joke (not respecting the content of those words).

xF6yk90.png

wVWSZcG.png

:)

#unnecesarilydeepexplainations ;)

Last edited by notimp,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Would be very interesting if a lot of people jump on board and just turn HK in to a ghost town. Not that it would happen but I can see that a massive exodus might happen. They are used to their lives being free, they don't want a dystopian dictator over their head.

Also, how is it breaking international law giving asylum to people?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1