UK Government To Tax iPods, Blank discs & Freeview boxes?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF? Like we're not taxed to fuckery as it is? We already pay VAT on those things goddamit!

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/40034

"The UK government is considering putting a tax on iPods, blank CDs and freeview boxes to pay for public service programmes on ITV and Channel 4.

Internet subscriptions and computers could also be included in the new scheme to raise money for news, documentaries and children's programmes on the two channels, The Daily Telegraph has reported.

Ofcom, who regulate TV and radio services in Britain, came up with the idea in their report about funding public service programmes on ITV and Channel 4.

But Liberal Democrat spokesman for culture, media and sport Don Foster told The Telegraph that music fans wouldn’t be pleased.

He said: "Other countries have introduced industry levies but I don't think it is the most palatable option on the table." "

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Breathing Tax, 3p/breath.

Most TV programs these days are shit and look as though they could be made with a budget of £100, I don't see why extra taxes would have to be made to pay such an amount.

QUOTE said:
news
Get a bigot to talk about foriegn countries (He'll probably do it for free, and it will be a lot more entertaining/less depressing than the current news).
QUOTE said:
documentaries
Give a man a video camera and send him somewhere (Video Camera £50, Plane Ticket £50)
QUOTE said:
children's programmes
Get some puppets, or re-run old shows from the 80s/90s.

Britain is a country full of money wasters.

Internet subscriptions and computers
If that happens, I'm going to kill somebody.

Real Britfags need to find an island somewhere and create New Britain. None of this Labour Government bullshit.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(If you drive a car car), I’ll tax the street,
(If you try to sit sit), I’ll tax your seat,
(If you get too cold cold), I’ll tax the heat,
(If you take a walk walk), I’ll tax your feet.
Taxman.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
meh , we'll be taxed for taking a shit next.

We aren't already...?

unsure.gif
uh-oh.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Taxing Freeview boxes? That's an odd one, so does that mean taxing all equipment capable of recieving a freeview signal? Considering our current TV license doesn't pay for public channels, I can see this cascading to tax television sets as well as recorders and VCR's.

Considering we're all being forced to go digital I think it's a little bit off. Especially when there's never anything on anyway. (ITV and BBC show the same stuff as each other all the time, which is all well and good if you actually like it but when you don't then there's nothing on. As fr the "ratings war", why doesn't it occur to anyone that people who love that shit will watch one channel while recording the other to watch an hour later? Utter madness.)

CD's and iPod's... hmm I don't understand that one. I don't see what it's got to do with the government. Are music CD's currently taxed? (and thus they're trying to compensate for people switching to legal downloads, which would be a nightmare for them to tax directly).

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Everything we buy already has tax on it and its not just pennies it's lots of pounds
blink.gif
I don't understand why the government think they can just chuck tax on something and think they can get away with it.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Will it be just Freeview boxes that will be taxed or all viewing boxes like Sky?

So Freeview wouldn't be "free" anymore? If you have to pay to watch telly, get Sky anyway...

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R2DJ said:
Will it be just Freeview boxes that will be taxed or all viewing boxes like Sky?

So Freeview wouldn't be "free" anymore? If you have to pay to watch telly, get Sky anyway...

The name 'Freeview' means it is free to view not free as in the box is free.

Freeview requires money, money to buy the box.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
R2DJ said:

The name 'Freeview' means it is free to view not free as in the box is free.

Freeview requires money, money to buy the box.
What I'm asking is that are they charging for just buying the box/es or for buying and watching?

As if TV licence isn't enough for this...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WHAT THE HELL??

We get ITV and CH4 paid for by advertisements we have to suffer the last time I checked!!!

We PAY TV LICENCE of £100+ a year for BBC CHANNELS already why the hell do we have to PAY AGAIN?!

IPOD USERS .. BUY A CRAP LOAD OF CONTENT from I-TUNES already WHY PAY AGAIN?!

THEY TAX US FOR BEER,CIGARETTES,ROAD USE,CONGESTION USE in some areas! as well as Housing and other crap!

This kinda also defeats the object of FREEVIEW if they now have to besides a TV LICENCE pay TAX on FREEVIEW viewing!

Yes we are charged a TAX on music cds and dvds .... one reason why companys like Play.com/Tesco Direct etc are based in Jersey as there are Tax Exempt on these items there so we can get them cheaper by mail order!

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The papers have been putting rumours about this for years. The last time they made it a big thing they were talking about how they were going to be putting huge taxes on blank VHS tapes. There was also rumours of higher taxes on hard drives a couple of years ago. Doubt it'll happen...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
it happened for like.. 3 years ago here in sweden I think... or maybe it was four years :S
Still, it sucks very much. The reason here was "Since you CAN burn illegal movies and music on a cd to make a pirate copy, we have extra piracy taxes on cd/dvd's that goes to the publishers, so they at least get something when you pirate".

and the same was for mp3 players, blank media, usb-sticks i think... pretty much everything you can put an mp3 file into...
tongue.gif

"it fucking sucks, it sucking fucks..[snip].. and i don't like it", very apropriate here.

ZonMachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sense the revolution war again
laugh.gif
Wasn't the reason the colonists want to break away from the taxes and what the British is doing taxes
mad.gif
when will they learn from their mistakes... 200 years ago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night